State of the Scherzo address

This forum is for discussion pertaining to homebrew and indie software for the Dreamcast, such as homebrew games, emulators/interpreters, and other homebrew software/applications. Porting requests and developmental ideas are not to be made here; you can make those here. If you need any help burning discs for homebrew software, this is the place to ask as well.
WaCk0
DC Respected Artist
DC Respected Artist
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by WaCk0 »

scherzo wrote:It will also sport a new interface using the system I developed for Super Famicast.
ShadowofBob wrote:Make an option so that you can return to your game if you exit to the menu in NesterDC.
I think he will do that :wink:
Superfamicast have a great interface. That "zoom" from the current playing game is really cool.
BlackAura
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by BlackAura »

Phantom wrote:
BlackAura wrote:KOS (the latest versions, which you can grab from SubVersion) has a PPP driver and a fully working IP stack. As far as I know, PPP works over a serial cable just fine. I'm not sure if anyone actually wrote a dialler program and connected the PPP driver to the modem, but most of the work has already been done.
If it's truly a winmodem we'd need more than that. For example, implementations of modem standards such as V90.

I hope I'm wrong though...
We do have a driver capable of running the modem up to 33Kbps. To go above that, you'd need to load custom code onto the modem's DSP, and we don't have the required code, so... Other than that, although it's not a standard Hayes compatable modem, you can just prod the modem registers and get it to do things, like dial, hang up, or whatever.
Digital Chaos
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu

Post by Digital Chaos »

Better light gun support,
Better support for >2 players.
XDelusion
Psychotic MOD
Psychotic MOD

Post by XDelusion »

OH yes, aside of not being able to start Super Mario VS (the best of the 2 SMB's), I also hate the Frame Skip throttle, it is too easy to bump. If at all possible, I'd much prefer something along the lines as what XPort did for his FCEUltra port for the XBOX, where you hit a certain button, and it halts the game and brings up a menu where you can change options, save or load your state, ect. Then return to the game.
Of course I am not looking for something as fancy as what XPort does, merely a simple menu system.
law56ker
DCEmu Cool Poster
DCEmu Cool Poster

Post by law56ker »

scherzo wrote:
ethoscapade wrote:my biggest complaint about Nester however has to be the tiny tiny button delay. i'm not sure if anybody else has noticed it, but i'm positive it's there, and it's most noticeable in SMB and punch out - it's a lot harder to make that jump in 8-1 and dodge bald bull's uppercuts in nester as opposed to the NES.
You're not the only one, I've noticed this issue with latency in button response as well. From looking at the code, it seems to be because the graphics are quadruple buffered. This coincides with something I read that the PVR internally quadruple buffers too. It might be just a matter of only using two buffers instead of four. We'll see.

I'm going to use the official 7.1 since that's what I used for NesterGP and I'm familiar with it. I can't recall any games that I like that didn't work with it. Later, I'll do a game by game fix later for games that worked in 6 and not in 7. Then I'll add the missing mappers using other open source emus that support them as a reference. It would be like porting code, and I seem to be good at that.

As for the modem, I see that KOS only provides very raw use of the modem. Looks like a PPP driver and IP stack would have to be made if you wanted the netplay to function over the internet. Otherwise you'd have to directly dial to your opponent, which would make trying to find a random person to play with a bitch. That's why I want to do this over the internet. Then NesterDC can connect to a central server to find opponents.

On the flipside, the BBA should relatively be a piece of cake.
I'm assuming you might to this in a similar why to how z-battle is set up or z-net they are both programs that work with the snes emulator to enable online play for the supernintendo.
salemustbedestroyed
DCEmu Freak
DCEmu Freak

Re: State of the Scherzo address

Post by salemustbedestroyed »

scherzo wrote:Hey everyone. I've got some stuff to discuss with you all....

First, by the end of the weekend, I will release a new version of Super Famicast. No, it will not be blazingly faster; not even close to fullspeed. Here's what it WILL have:
- Syncronized sound
- Mouse support
And that's it. Some of you might choose not to burn a new version since there isn't too much different from the last version. I might even give this a subversion number like 1.5.

Second, I want to ask someone to take over the task of speeding it up. The more and more I fool around with the code, the more I realize that maybe the task of writing the CPU core in assembler is in a little over my head being my first assembler project of any kind. I think I could do it, but not with the amount of free time I get. I foresee it taking and LOOOONG time if I do it.

I have made a little progress though. I wrote the main execution loop in assembler. I don't know if it's quality code. I'm not that good at optimizing code where I have little understanding about what it does. I've never written an emulator before. I do know that one of the the biggest bottlenecks is in the frame rendering code. I've gone through gfx.cpp commenting out bits and pieces to see how much faster it would run if it didn't do certain things... like not draw the objs or bgs. It affects performance a great deal. If all rendering is disabled, then it runs at fullspeed without sound.

I don't want to think of this as giving up but more as asking for help. I need someone with a good knowledge of SNES emulation and a knack for writing SH4 assembler. Hard to find. A while back I was talking with yoyofr, the author of openSnes9xGP, to see if he could help me out since he had done a good job of hacking up the graphics code to get speed increases on the GP32. But he started to ignore my IMs and I figured he didn't want to help.

Well, that's where the status of Super Famicast stands. I know I might be disappointing a lot of you. Hell, I want to see full speed SNES emulation on DC as badly as the rest of you, so I'm disappointed as well. I don't have the skills right now and don't have the time needed to really develop them. Yet, that's one reason why I made Super Famicast open source. It doesn't end here. Unlike DreamSNES, you can lend a hand at anytime.

On to other things...

Last night I got the latest version of NesterDC to compile in my dev environment. I plan on making a Special Edition of this emu with added features. The feature that will stand out the most is netplay and will support both the modem and bba. NesterDC will connect to a central server where you can find other people to play with. It will also sport a new interface using the system I developed for Super Famicast.

If anyone here has ideas for new features they would like to see in NesterDC SE (Special Edition, Scherzo Edition :) ) then post them here.

I will also need testers in the future, especially people with a bba since those are difficult to come by.

I hope you all can understand why I'm moving on. I want to work on something where I can be productive. Thanks.

i just want increaced compatibility so i can play zelda 2 the adventure of link :flamer: javascript:emoticon(':sabre:')javascript:emoticon(':rocket:')
javascript:emoticon(':rocket:')javascript:emoticon(':ninja:')
javascript:emoticon(':ninja:')javascript:emoticon(':fight:')
javascript:emoticon(':fight:')
javascript:emoticon(':sabre:')
Ian Micheal
Soul Sold for DCEmu
Soul Sold for DCEmu

Post by Ian Micheal »

Phantom wrote:
BlackAura wrote:KOS (the latest versions, which you can grab from SubVersion) has a PPP driver and a fully working IP stack. As far as I know, PPP works over a serial cable just fine. I'm not sure if anyone actually wrote a dialler program and connected the PPP driver to the modem, but most of the work has already been done.
If it's truly a winmodem we'd need more than that. For example, implementations of modem standards such as V90.

I hope I'm wrong though...
Im hoping your wrong but i think you maybe spot on.
Dreamcast forever!!!
Antiriad
DCEmu Crazy Poster
DCEmu Crazy Poster

Post by Antiriad »

Can i suggest screenshot support like SMSPlus?
Orange_Ribbon
DCEmu's Cheerleader

Post by Orange_Ribbon »

Woot a new Nester! All I can ask for is better gun suport. Half the time my gun will just stop working in the middle of a game, or not be acurate. Thank you for releasing an update for SFC and Nester :-)
Phantom
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by Phantom »

BlackAura wrote:We do have a driver capable of running the modem up to 33Kbps.
I didn't know that. It's not a winmodem then?

I mean, Conexant winmodems aren't even well supported in linux, so it wouldn't look good if that were the case. ;)
BlackAura
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by BlackAura »

It's almost a winmodem. Someone found a PDF version the modem chipset's manual. It was designed to run programs on it's internal DSP to make it act like a normal modem, so in that respect it is a winmodem-style device. When used like this, it presents a standard Hayes-style interface (which is why the browsers have settings for modem command strings) and can be programmed like a normal modem. However, the modem's internal registers are accessible from the Dreamcast, so we can control it from there. We can't get it working at 56Kbps though, because that really needs code running on the DSP.

http://www.boob.co.uk/docs/exp_devices/ ... sGuide.zip

The driver's in KOS 1.2.0, although I think it might have been modified for the 1.3.x series. It's in kos-1.2.0/kernel/arch/dreamcast/hardware/modem
Arqueiro
DCEmu Nutter
DCEmu Nutter

Post by Arqueiro »

a nesterdc chat suport on the internet game play will be amazing !

also u can make a "friend list" to see who is online :)
3d graphics and visualization ?
http://www.arquiteturadigital.com
Phantom
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by Phantom »

It looks like it's in the middle between a hardware modem and a winmodem, very odd. Anyway, as long as it can handle the modem protocols itself, it shouldn't be too hard to get it working. And 56Kbps isn't really that big a deal (PAL Dreamcasts don't support it in the first place).
Ian Micheal
Soul Sold for DCEmu
Soul Sold for DCEmu

Post by Ian Micheal »

Is this do-able with out lag and playable using this driver?
Dreamcast forever!!!
ethoscapade
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by ethoscapade »

one more request -

you said you're using the super famicast menu layout, and i kind of have a couple of things about the nester menu that i prefer to sfamicast...

for example, i really love how going to "select game" defaults to the "Nes" directory, where you can view all your games, w/ no file extensions, etc. sfamicast doesn't do this, and i think it makes it look a whole lot nicer than just browsing through files on a disk. if you could preserve that, that would be great.

same with themes, if you plan to theme it (which you shouldn't feel obligated to; i personally prefer simplicity): if you're using sfamicast with dream inducer, it dumps you into a very messy "themes" folder, 90% of which is irrelevant for the task at hand. if you take this route, please find a way to hide all files but the relevant ones, like sms+.
ninja
DCEmu's own ninja
DCEmu's own ninja

Post by ninja »

hmmm, as far as netplay is concerned, it would be nice to have. if its possible to connect to a centralized server and go from there would be awesome, since as we all know, direct dialing could / would get quite expensive.
Delete my posting account.

Thanks.
speud
DCEmu Uncool Newbie
DCEmu Uncool Newbie

Post by speud »

i dont think it would be expensive, if i understood correctly that would use your isp to connect, then you would connect as a client to the other player acting like a server by entering his ip, something similar to the netplay option in zsnes
http://blueswirl.fr.st - DC Online Tools and Downloads

thx to Wack0 for the avatar ;)
Dutchdude
DCEmu Junior
DCEmu Junior

Pal-NTSC Selector

Post by Dutchdude »

I would love to see Pal support for the European dudes among us.
(I know there is a V6. Pal but since the later versions are better it would be cool to have a Pal-NTSC selector in the newest version.)
Thanks man, glad to hear you have plans on working on a new version of Nester.

Good luck.
Orange_Ribbon
DCEmu's Cheerleader

Post by Orange_Ribbon »

Question for us Broadband customers without a BBS to conect to our PCs via a modium and share the Broadband acsess? I think I saw one before but i never got a chance to try it. If there is I will do a happy dance.
Excalibur007
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by Excalibur007 »

Even if only direct connect is feasible, it would still be nice. That was something overlooked in the online DC games that I really wish they had. The Saturn Netlink was direct connect and to this day you can always find someone to play with. Servers going down wouldn't have hurt quite as bad, had this been included in the DC games.

It sounds like you're going to do a great job overall on this Schzero. :D

-Ex
Tis my sig.