State of the Scherzo address

This forum is for discussion pertaining to homebrew and indie software for the Dreamcast, such as homebrew games, emulators/interpreters, and other homebrew software/applications. Porting requests and developmental ideas are not to be made here; you can make those here. If you need any help burning discs for homebrew software, this is the place to ask as well.
emptythought
DC Developer
DC Developer
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by emptythought »

Net support on NesterDC, swweett!
scherzo wrote:If anyone here has ideas for new features they would like to see in NesterDC SE (Special Edition, Scherzo Edition ) then post them here.
Analog control and D-pad
Remove frameskip control on analog stick
Keyboard support
True key remapping

If you can get all this in there, this would be the ultimate NesterDC version! :twisted:
bender
Mental DCEmu
Mental DCEmu

Post by bender »

cool !!! :kiss)
hrb2k3
DCEmu Nutter
DCEmu Nutter

Post by hrb2k3 »

hey, this is good news about nesterdc. i dont have a bba, but i can beta test this with the 56k dc modem.
DC FoReVeR.!!!
politoe
DCEmu Cool Poster
DCEmu Cool Poster

Post by politoe »

Which version will you be updating?

It'll be great to update burnerO's custom v.6
jjoepr
Mental DCEmu
Mental DCEmu

Post by jjoepr »

Fix Rygar on V 7 or update vesion 6. version 6 is a lot more forgiving with some roms. Others for some reason just get stuck on the title screen.
jjoepr
Mental DCEmu
Mental DCEmu

Post by jjoepr »

I guess hands down the people have spoken. Even though everyone would like to see full speed SNES and Genesis emulation hands down the people's choice is NesterDC :rumpshaker: . The people have spoken scherzo. We all love the NES.
Ian Micheal
Soul Sold for DCEmu
Soul Sold for DCEmu

Post by Ian Micheal »

People Are not allways right..
Dreamcast forever!!!
The OK Pope
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu

Post by The OK Pope »

My request is keyboard support and support for NARC, it worked in v6 but not 7.
WaCk0
DC Respected Artist
DC Respected Artist

Post by WaCk0 »

Yeah, we love NES... but I think SNES still the best console ever :mrgreen:

great NES news scherzo! )()(
labnumbersix
DCEmu Newbie
DCEmu Newbie

Post by labnumbersix »

I think it'd be cool to impliment a built-in NSF player in the special edition of Nester DC...I dunno, just a thought <3
Ian Micheal
Soul Sold for DCEmu
Soul Sold for DCEmu

Post by Ian Micheal »

Built in pd roms
Dreamcast forever!!!
Salamander2
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by Salamander2 »

well... nesterdc is the best nintendo 8-bit emulator for any system. the main reason is that u can play the thing in the tv, like the real nes thing. some of the updates needed is that some mappers are not emulated.
battle toads & double dragon, werewolf and wai wai world 2 are MISSING!!
a nsf replayer is wellcome too. Playing via the internet is a must. a lot of friends want to play jackal, salamander and side pocket via internet. the possibilities are great!

8-) 8-)
"...they are carrying the last hope: to save planet Gradius...on their wings..."
GRADIUS TRIBUTE for Dreamcast!
Nico0020
DCEmu User with No Life
DCEmu User with No Life

Post by Nico0020 »

:mrgreen:
happyness is right?
Great to hear about the updates.
Dont get discouraged about SFamicast, you have done a great job. And with open source i know someone around here will lend a hand.
*The Cadillac of signatures*
toastman
Iron Fist of Justice
Iron Fist of Justice

Post by toastman »

DcSteve wrote:I know where you can get help.
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/dcdev/

All of the dreamcast master devvers frequently post there. Among is Dan potter (KOS author), and Marcus Comsted (1/3 Dsnes Team)
http://sourceforge.net/mailarchive/foru ... um_id=2046

The Sourceforge mailing list.
No signature.
Strapping Scherzo
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by Strapping Scherzo »

ethoscapade wrote:my biggest complaint about Nester however has to be the tiny tiny button delay. i'm not sure if anybody else has noticed it, but i'm positive it's there, and it's most noticeable in SMB and punch out - it's a lot harder to make that jump in 8-1 and dodge bald bull's uppercuts in nester as opposed to the NES.
You're not the only one, I've noticed this issue with latency in button response as well. From looking at the code, it seems to be because the graphics are quadruple buffered. This coincides with something I read that the PVR internally quadruple buffers too. It might be just a matter of only using two buffers instead of four. We'll see.

I'm going to use the official 7.1 since that's what I used for NesterGP and I'm familiar with it. I can't recall any games that I like that didn't work with it. Later, I'll do a game by game fix later for games that worked in 6 and not in 7. Then I'll add the missing mappers using other open source emus that support them as a reference. It would be like porting code, and I seem to be good at that.

As for the modem, I see that KOS only provides very raw use of the modem. Looks like a PPP driver and IP stack would have to be made if you wanted the netplay to function over the internet. Otherwise you'd have to directly dial to your opponent, which would make trying to find a random person to play with a bitch. That's why I want to do this over the internet. Then NesterDC can connect to a central server to find opponents.

On the flipside, the BBA should relatively be a piece of cake.
Ian Micheal
Soul Sold for DCEmu
Soul Sold for DCEmu

Post by Ian Micheal »

So do you think it can be done. netplay at all via the net. Or just bba and direct connect. :(
Dreamcast forever!!!
ethoscapade
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by ethoscapade »

well, i'm glad the button latency is being addressed, as that's my biggest complaint.

and you didn't say anything about the whole business of the triggers, but with all the people concerned about it, i'm assuming you've got it covered.

and as for using 7.1 - well, it IS more advanced technically, but in terms of compatibility and aesthetics, it's a step down from 6.0, although i assume compatibility and aesthetics are what you mean to tinker with anyway.

although...
I can't recall any games that I like that didn't work with it.
WHAT ABOUT BATTLETOADS!?
BlackAura
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by BlackAura »

KOS (the latest versions, which you can grab from SubVersion) has a PPP driver and a fully working IP stack. As far as I know, PPP works over a serial cable just fine. I'm not sure if anyone actually wrote a dialler program and connected the PPP driver to the modem, but most of the work has already been done. Doing network programming with KOS 1.2.0 or earlier is really not a good idea, because the IP stack is totally broken, and it's missing a lot of stuff that 1.3.x has.
ShadowofBob
ShadowOfBob
ShadowOfBob

Post by ShadowofBob »

Make an option so that you can return to your game if you exit to the menu in NesterDC.
Phantom
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by Phantom »

BlackAura wrote:KOS (the latest versions, which you can grab from SubVersion) has a PPP driver and a fully working IP stack. As far as I know, PPP works over a serial cable just fine. I'm not sure if anyone actually wrote a dialler program and connected the PPP driver to the modem, but most of the work has already been done.
If it's truly a winmodem we'd need more than that. For example, implementations of modem standards such as V90.

I hope I'm wrong though...