Just an engine-modding idea...

A forum for news and discussion about Beats of Rage and its modification.
DaMadFiddler
Team Screamcast
Team Screamcast
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Just an engine-modding idea...

Post by DaMadFiddler »

...Could BoR perhaps be adapted to make a "normal" fighting game? It seems like most of the necessary elements are there. I know the Dreamcast has plenty of good fighters already (probably moreso than any other mainstream console to date), but I remember a number of people being interested in a hombrew fighter-engine a while ago over in Development Ideas.

I'm personally too busy with Castlevania to look into it myself (although I doubt I have the necessary coding experience anyway), but it certainly *seems* feasible, and would provide a nice little engine for people to build their own custom fighters.
Paulo Kathanni
Modder Of Rage
Modder Of Rage

re:

Post by Paulo Kathanni »

You could use MUGEN to create a fighting game... This will save you a LOT of work..

PS: Is that you playing the violin?! :D
DaMadFiddler
Team Screamcast
Team Screamcast

Post by DaMadFiddler »

Yeah, but I was thinking in terms of Dreamcast software. MUGEN hasn't been ported; if someone could find a way to make it work as a BoR mod, then....

And yeah, that's me...five or six years ago, I'm not quite sure.
Ian Micheal
Soul Sold for DCEmu
Soul Sold for DCEmu

Post by Ian Micheal »

Yeah just look at it and use the engine not much if any mod would be needed to the engine nothing is making you have to scrolly you can have 8 boss fights link together 2 player works since both people can hit each other.

Nothing stoping any one from doing a 2 player streetfighter clone.
Would not be as good or close but you could do it.

You could use bor the way it is to do lots of things just take the idea and will to do it..
Dreamcast forever!!!
Skynet
DCEmu T-800
DCEmu T-800

Post by Skynet »

And yeah, that's me...five or six years ago, I'm not quite sure.
You remind me of my yr10/11 music teacher :lol: Oh and btw, she was a she. :guffaw:

I wanted to know if you could modify the engine to work as a side scrolling platformer. ie. so no moving up and down, just left and right.
Live gamertag: SKYNET211

Steam gamertag: SkynetT800
Ian Micheal
Soul Sold for DCEmu
Soul Sold for DCEmu

Post by Ian Micheal »

Well you can set part of the screen so you cant go there. bit of work prolly could do it with out any moding. Or use the extra movement to create some thing better.
Dreamcast forever!!!
Smindas
DCEmu Newbie
DCEmu Newbie

Post by Smindas »

Is there any possible way someone could port MUGEN to the dreamcast? Think about it, if someone could do that, we've got the most perfect DC custom fighting game engine ever.
molotovwars
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu

Post by molotovwars »

well the only thing Ian Michael, is that even if you restrict movement so its only left and right, its not a platformer unless there are different platforms in which the player can jump up to (or down to) and you'd have to alter the source code to do that, right?

oh and damadfiddler, how is the castlevania project comings (its the 2d to 3d remake, right?)?
kungpow12345
Modder Of Rage
Modder Of Rage

Post by kungpow12345 »

...I know what needs to be in BOR, especially the mods I'm working on now and they REALLY need this option: We (The NEW KNT(SPC) Game Alliance) need an obstacle where you can actually walk on it and over it, for example, the houses in the original KNT game. ...now Ian, I know you would need this because of a "multi-leveled" level for your TMNT bor mod. If you do decide to do this modification, please PM me so I can let my "staff" know about this modification. ...if you can do this, I'd really appreciate it!!!!!!
If you've got an ass, I'll kick it!
DaMadFiddler
Team Screamcast
Team Screamcast

Post by DaMadFiddler »

molotovwars wrote:oh and damadfiddler, how is the castlevania project comings (its the 2d to 3d remake, right?)?
Yeah; I'm still waiting back on some e-mails to find out what, exactly, we have in terms of a gameplay engine...but as I've said, I designed everything so that it could be adapted to Quake in case of an emergency. I'm currently trying to get a website set up to post some info, map designs, a couple music samples, etc. So there'll be more info available once I get that set up.

And I'm going to choose to ignore Skynet's comment :-P
Ian Micheal
Soul Sold for DCEmu
Soul Sold for DCEmu

Post by Ian Micheal »

Hmm you can create holes in the floor to jump over. So yes it can be a simple platform game. You could use chars enemys as barries. Making them walls etc bash them up you break them. You could make moving or static walls using sprites.
This engine is far more felxable then what people are doing rightnow. Pretty disapointing that no one is using the scrollying <--------- that way for any thing hardly any one is using the up command ether bash 4 people move on is dead set boring no matter how good the grafix.

Takes logical thought.
Dreamcast forever!!!
kungpow12345
Modder Of Rage
Modder Of Rage

Post by kungpow12345 »

I plan to use the scrolling a lot in my Samurai Pizza Cats mod, plus a lot of other things that people have never really considered for BoR lol or as I would like to call "illusional tricks" ...it's hard to believe I stared it 2 months ago :) but I'm set to release the next "revolutionary" mod with this one. If you wanna know what I'm talking about, then watch out for the "sub-alpha" release I'm going to make for the game in about a month.
Ian Micheal
Soul Sold for DCEmu
Soul Sold for DCEmu

Post by Ian Micheal »

Cool man Then people will learn from you. People are writing off mods. Saying it's to limting manly it's the people not thinking of new ideas. Same happens in coding.. if you cant think of the idea you can start doing it.
Dreamcast forever!!!
supersaiyansonic
Modder Of Rage
Modder Of Rage

Post by supersaiyansonic »

I also tested making an invisible object barrier and it works you may be able to use that to block up and down movement to make a fighter out of bor.
kungpow12345
Modder Of Rage
Modder Of Rage

Post by kungpow12345 »

...the modification i would need is the walkable obstacles and i would be in business :)
Ian Micheal
Soul Sold for DCEmu
Soul Sold for DCEmu

Post by Ian Micheal »

Yeah im trying to think of a way to add that for you. Puzzling me at this moment..

Hmm i rememember making a turtle walk on top of the bikkers sprite some how.
Dreamcast forever!!!
aL BeasTie
DCEmu Junior
DCEmu Junior

Post by aL BeasTie »

if someone works out how to get a DOS emulator running on DC, PS2 or XBOX then you will be able to get Mugen running - i'm sure at some point someone will make something to play old PC games on consoles. thou the wait may be a while
Ian Micheal
Soul Sold for DCEmu
Soul Sold for DCEmu

Post by Ian Micheal »

Would not run that even if you got it to run and would be far to slow.
Mugen is not going to apear on dreamcast.
Dreamcast forever!!!
molotovwars
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu

Post by molotovwars »

Ian, I guess you're right about setting up a game like pitfall, but when I think platformer I think mario, and being able to jump up to a higher area to walk on. It'll be intersting to see what directions BOR gets taken, some new innovation is coming out of DcSteve in his boxing mod.
dcemuler
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by dcemuler »

Smindas wrote:Is there any possible way someone could port MUGEN to the dreamcast? Think about it, if someone could do that, we've got the most perfect DC custom fighting game engine ever.
Mugen is open engine, not open source

However, we can port kof91 to dreamcast

http://sourceforge.net/projects/koflinux
Seeking only strenght
Couldness that could burn a person
Throwing away pride
Stopping time with hatred