SMS plus, directories, and you!

This forum is for discussion pertaining to homebrew and indie software for the Dreamcast, such as homebrew games, emulators/interpreters, and other homebrew software/applications. Porting requests and developmental ideas are not to be made here; you can make those here. If you need any help burning discs for homebrew software, this is the place to ask as well.
ethoscapade
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

SMS plus, directories, and you!

Post by ethoscapade »

okay now. if it's not too much trouble, i'd like some advice on messing around with the directories of SMS plus.

you see, i'm using selfboot inducer, and so that whole business of having to browse to the gamegear folder (i don't even use master system), that's just ugly.

so i got to thinking - hey, why not just put the roms on the root directory of the CD (as in, the inducer folder itself)?

now, i would have tried that experiment by now, if it weren't for one thing: snapshots. i love this feature. this is a beautiful feature. but i'm not 100% sure on how it would work if i just had the roms in the root directory. since normally the snapshots for /gg go in /snap/gg, i was thinking the snapshots go for the root directory would just go in /snap, but can anybody confirm this?

thanks.
Captain Skyhawk
DCEmu Respected
DCEmu Respected

Post by Captain Skyhawk »

I looked into this and also have looked into the sources. One thing you need to have is a SNAP/GG and a SNAP/SMS directory where your snapsshots are stored. You can't change that. There is no problem using directory's for your roms but as far as I know they need to be in a GG or SMS directory. I think the emulator uses this to know what to emulate (an Game Gear or an Master System). And as far as I understand from sources it also looks into that directory first.

Code: Select all

if(files[list_idx].flag & FILELIST_SMS)
sprintf(fname,"/cd/%s/sms/%s",SNAP_DIR,get_filename(cur_snap));				}
The best way to find this out is to try, it only can cost 1 cd-r. Be sure to have the same rom names as the snapshots.
Visit the DC Help for all the Dreamcast homebrew help you need!
Go to DC Evolution, for the best ready to burn images
ethoscapade
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by ethoscapade »

thanks skyhawk, i was hoping it would be you who responded to this.

i'll try it out; wish me luck
ethoscapade
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by ethoscapade »

wow, this emu is unbelievably well coded.

it turns out any games can be run from any directory at all, including the root directory, and it still loads snapshots from /snap/gg for gamegear and /snap/sms for master system.

i didn't even have to put the two different types of roms in different folders, just put them all in the root dir and they worked, with screenshots. i am very, very impressed.

now if only i could figure out some way to hide all the other directories on the CD from sms plus when browsing (like it hides the /snap directory) this would be perfect.
Kroustibat
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by Kroustibat »

thanks ;)

Unfortunatly, there's no way to hide directories as the "snap" one is. It"s the only reserved directory as in dc_gui.c

if(entry->size==-1)
{
if(stricmp(entry->name,SNAP_DIR)!=0)
{

Captain Skyhawk: About the bookmark option, it's unfinished, there'snt anyway to save it right now, and the file addition is not good to me