How to reinstall windows?????Help would be much appreciated!

Talk about anything and everything not related to this site or the Dreamcast, such as news stories, political discussion, or anything else. If there's not a forum for it, it belongs in here. Also, be warned that personal insults, threats, and spamming will not be tolerated.
frankieee
DCEmu Newbie
DCEmu Newbie
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

How to reinstall windows?????Help would be much appreciated!

Post by frankieee »

Hi, this is my 1st time using this site and i'm looking for some advice:
I've had some trouble with my pc (Windows Me edition) , that when i switch it on it goes onto the login screen and i can get no further. messages come up saying: -

'Error starting program

A required DLL file, C:\WINDS\SYSTEM\COMCTL32.DLL, was not found'

and

'Error loading explorer exe.
You must reinstall windows'

My family had our computer built up, gradually having new stuff installed, which means we don't have a recovery program or anything. i don't understand computer lingo very well and would appreciate it if any of you readers had any suggestions of what needs to be done with the computer or whether it needs throwing in the bin.

thanks
frankie
x
frankieee
DCEmu Newbie
DCEmu Newbie

Post by frankieee »

Oh and btw, we have tried to install windows 2000 as we couldnt locate a ME disc, will this be of any use to us at all?

thanks again
frankie
Synlor
Official DCEMU Stalker
Official DCEMU Stalker

Post by Synlor »

You put this in the wrong forum, I'll move it for ya

SWWOOOSSHHHH off to off topic we shall go!
Thanks to Digital Chaos, GoldbergWWE, and ace for the avatar, sig, and badge!
http://devcast.dcemulation.com
frankieee
DCEmu Newbie
DCEmu Newbie

Post by frankieee »

oh sorry, didnt realise :oops:
Specially Cork

Post by Specially Cork »

If you put your Windows 2000 disc in, then turn on your computer, the disc will run and you will be able to format your hard drive (wipe everything thats on it) and reintall Windows 2000 from scratch.
This is the easiest option, but you will lose everything thats on your hard drive, so if there's anything really, really important on there that you wan't you should wait out to see if there's another solution, but if there is, I'm sure it will be more difficult.
BlackAura
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by BlackAura »

You can upgrade from Windows ME to Windows 2000. If you can avoid it, I would not recommend it.
Vchat20
DCEmu Ultra Poster
DCEmu Ultra Poster

Post by Vchat20 »

exactly. as scykon already suggested, restart with the 2k cd inserted. format and install. it may take a while, but its well worth it. 2k is the most stable windows OS available besides XP.
Falcon McCooper
DCEmu Newbie
DCEmu Newbie

Post by Falcon McCooper »

Yes, but please be warned: the Windows 2000 family (NT below, XP above) require massive amounts of RAM in order to run well. If you have under 128 MB of RAM, be prepared to have excruciatingly long load times and horrible performance, but once you hit that 128mb line, you're good to go with Win2K. Windows 95/98/ME work quite well with 32-64MB computers. Windows ME isn't as bad as people think; it just takes a little bit of tweaking to get it working just right. Those error messages you described look like someone (or some program) went in and either changed the location of these critical system files (comctl32.dll is the common controls file - including your Open window, the pop-up text-box menus, Print, etc... and explorer.exe is your Windows desktop itself). Reinstalling Windows ME has a 50/50 chance of working: if the file pointers were changed in the registry (meaning that Windows is actually looking somewhere else for the files), reinstalling won't change that back. But if the files are actually missing or corrupt, reinstalling will fix the problem.

But since you're stuck without the CD, you should use 2000. There is a very feasable way to KEEP your existing stuff, though. Simply don't erase the partition when asked during Setup, and have it install on the existing partition (BUT DO convert it to NTFS when asked!!! First choose "Leave the file system as-is" (?), then choose "Convert the drive to NTFS"). Then, have it perform a "clean install". It'll leave ALL your files intact, and leave your old \WINDOWS folder there. Windows 2000 installs in \WINNT.
Matt
Soul Sold for DCEmu
Soul Sold for DCEmu

Post by Matt »

Yeah if you got over 128Mb RAM and theres nothing realy realy urgent just change your bios settings to boot from cdrom if they don't already, stick it in and tell it to format then install and away it will go. But if there is important stuff there, look up a post
Bolgan
Mental DCEmu
Mental DCEmu

Post by Bolgan »

If you put your Windows 2000 disc in, then turn on your computer, the disc will run and you will be able to format your hard drive (wipe everything thats on it) and reintall Windows 2000 from scratch.
If the Windows 2000 disc is already installed on another computer, will he be able to register the new install?

I read in a magazine that you have to pay M$ a licence fee to install Windows on a second computer using the same install disc.
Boshi
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by Boshi »

From what I've heard from MS, you need a new liscense for each PC, from what I've heard though, the check will pass as many times as you want on diffrent PCs. Your mileage may vary.
perry
Tha DCEmu Pimp Daddy
Tha DCEmu Pimp Daddy

Post by perry »

Windows 2000 will run pretty OK on less than 128 memory.
In the words of Q-Tip : Looking for vibes or positivity, not negativity / 'Cause we gotta strive for longevity by online gaming
sixteen-bit
Hardware Freak
Hardware Freak

Post by sixteen-bit »

perry2175 wrote:Windows 2000 will run pretty OK on less than 128 memory.
That was never the case for me. Infact I felt it awfully slow on anything less than 256MB; Explorer would respond slowly and the HDD would end up thrashing most of the time.
Bolgan
Mental DCEmu
Mental DCEmu

Post by Bolgan »

From what I've heard from MS, you need a new liscense for each PC, from what I've heard though, the check will pass as many times as you want on diffrent PCs. Your mileage may vary.
Do you mean you can pay the licence fee and get away with using it on more than one additional PC, or you can just use the insall disc as many times as you want without getting caught.

What would happen if M$ found out:
1) could not register the new install
2)or ????

I don't have an OS disc, I have restore disc(s).
So it doesn't really matter to me either way, but I was just wondering.
Boshi
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by Boshi »

the worst that could happen is the newest install wouldnt work.
guitsaru
the guitar monkey
the guitar monkey

Post by guitsaru »

Falcon McCooper wrote:Yes, but please be warned: the Windows 2000 family (NT below, XP above) require massive amounts of RAM in order to run well. If you have under 128 MB of RAM, be prepared to have excruciatingly long load times and horrible performance
really, 2k runs almost perfect on my 133mhz with 63mb of ram
|darc|
DCEmu Webmaster
DCEmu Webmaster

Post by |darc| »

You don't have to register Windows 2000. Just don't register it.

Windows XP (non volume-license version) does require activation. Win2k doesn't.
It's thinking...
Georgie
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by Georgie »

going from windows ME to 2000 would be a upgrade in it self even if your computer had 2 megs of RAM and couldn't get past the install
#1 quote
Orange_Ribbon wrote:I feel my crotch is a blank slate in witch to promote spider man, or captain america.
Falcon McCooper
DCEmu Newbie
DCEmu Newbie

Post by Falcon McCooper »

WUH-HOOO THERE! Numerically ordered posting time again!

1) WINDOWS 2000 DOES NOT REQUIRE ACTIVATION. Hell, half the time it won't even ask for a dang serial. Completely ignore the "Welcome" window's "Registration" button (it's just a BUTTON on an optional "Welcome to Windows" window after startup!). It's completely up to your morals whether or not you want to uphold the "One PC can run this at a time" rule.
2) Windows 2000 will actually even run on a 64mb PC. It will just run horribly slowly. In this case, never install a post-install service pack, and it'll run just fine. There is a way to have the service pack Net Install actually integrate the service pack into the installer, and you can then re-burn the CD and install off THAT, but it's a very tricky method. There are few websites out there that go over the method.
3) There is a VERY SLIM chance that your CPU or hardware isn't compatible with the NT kernel (excellent examples are Cyrix CPUs; not a single one I've worked with has been able to run NT/2000). On the same note, the "Driver is not signed" window is actually a GOOD thing. Having a signed driver means it came from Microsoft's junk factory, and though it will appear to work fine, it'll provide highly impaired performance, and may crash your computer. I once had a video card that, if run for more than 5 minutes with the default MS driver, would crash the computer. Once I installed the unsigned, manufacturer's driver, it worked just fine. Always use the latest drivers for video cards, sound cards, hard drive controllers, modems, and net cards. System devices rarely need updating, but check your chipset anyway. It may have a specialized driver.
4) If at all possible, recover your necessary data and have Setup perform a clean format on your hard drive (again, by deleting the partitions and having it format). This will most assuredly give you the smoothest ride possible.
Specially Cork

Post by Specially Cork »

Note:
In the last 15 posts, you have been discussing how this guy should fix the problem he has with his operating system. Thats very nice and all, but the guy hasn't responded once.
Using my Sherlock like skills, I dont think he needs our help anymore.