NeoGeoCD/SDL Quzar-CL- edition version 5

This forum is for discussion pertaining to homebrew and indie software for the Dreamcast, such as homebrew games, emulators/interpreters, and other homebrew software/applications. Porting requests and developmental ideas are not to be made here; you can make those here. If you need any help burning discs for homebrew software, this is the place to ask as well.
Eiji
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: NeoGeoCD/SDL Quzar-CL- edition version 5

Post by Eiji »

Ian Micheal wrote:Screen and display should be flicker free
LOL!

Congrats on removing the Neo Geo's transparency's :P

The shadows should flicker, they do on a real Neo Geo and on the PC NeoCD emu.

I noticed in Last Blade 2 the weapon trails are opaque now instead of transparent.

Obviously the Neo Geo doesn't support true transparency, thats why anything with pseudo-transparency flickers real fast like the shadows and the weapon trails in Last Blade 2 to give the impression of transparency.
quzar wrote: Region Selection. As you might notice when you boot the emulator now, you get a message asking to select a region. Since this cannot/should not be changed during gameplay, I do not know if this will ever be moved to a more formal menu, but I will try to make it more aesthetically pleasing and less obtrusive.

To do list:

Fix CDDA sound emulation.
Fix SFX.
Fix second controller.
Automatic frameskip.
Auto saving.
Fully emulated BIOS functions.
Full compatability.
Fullspeed emulation.
The region shouldn't be changed on the fly so its better the way it is now ie selectable before going into the game. The menu for the region switches could be improved a lot but for a first release its fine and gets the job done.

As for the todo list, add this too:

Add true digital control

Its impossible to pull off QCF motions with the way the d-pad works now.
Quzar
Dream Coder
Dream Coder

Post by Quzar »

DemoniusX wrote:hey does anyone know if KOF 97 has CD audio yet, If so I want this baby, and I know ian is gone at the moment but if he reads this I would like to know when we can expect SFX, I am in no rush but I am just curious if possible, other than that this is a DC owners dream come true :}
as i said in my big runover thing, SFX is a big problem and something that wont be resolved soon. it is 10 different files right now controlling sound emulation and any major changes require modification of all of them. right now most promising for near future are fixed controls, improved frameskip and cdda audio.

Add true digital control

since there is also the problem of how to use the select button, i simply added fix controller emulation.

also, in relation to the transparancies, i dont have any games to test on, but i think he meant the flickering of the whole screen not of the shadows (if not i would have told him not to fix flickering because i love the quirky neogeo flashy shadows hehe)
"When you post fewer lines of text than your signature, consider not posting at all." - A Wise Man
Ian Micheal
Soul Sold for DCEmu
Soul Sold for DCEmu

Post by Ian Micheal »

Eiji wrote:
Ian Micheal wrote:Screen and display should be flicker free
LOL!

Congrats on removing the Neo Geo's transparency's :P

The shadows should flicker, they do on a real Neo Geo and on the PC NeoCD emu.

I noticed in Last Blade 2 the weapon trails are opaque now instead of transparent.

Obviously the Neo Geo doesn't support true transparency, thats why anything with pseudo-transparency flickers real fast like the shadows and the weapon trails in Last Blade 2 to give the impression of transparency.
quzar wrote: Region Selection. As you might notice when you boot the emulator now, you get a message asking to select a region. Since this cannot/should not be changed during gameplay, I do not know if this will ever be moved to a more formal menu, but I will try to make it more aesthetically pleasing and less obtrusive.

To do list:

Fix CDDA sound emulation.
Fix SFX.
Fix second controller.
Automatic frameskip.
Auto saving.
Fully emulated BIOS functions.
Full compatability.
Fullspeed emulation.
The region shouldn't be changed on the fly so its better the way it is now ie selectable before going into the game. The menu for the region switches could be improved a lot but for a first release its fine and gets the job done.

Add true digital control

Flicker Im talking about is on the sides.. Nothing else was removed. If so is just Gcc acting wierd with a compiler setting..

Shadows still flicker for me with out a problem..
Dreamcast forever!!!
Digital Chaos
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu

Post by Digital Chaos »

Do you think we could get .sbi of this emulator. for some reason the ngcd selfboot program doesn't like me and will give me errors when I try and create an DJ image.
Eiji
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by Eiji »

Ian Micheal wrote:Flicker Im talking about is on the sides.. Nothing else was removed. If so is just Gcc acting wierd with a compiler setting..

I thought the video flicker on the sides was fixed in v4.

Which games do the shadows flicker for you?
DemoniusX
Mental DCEmu
Mental DCEmu

Post by DemoniusX »

I wanted to point out that viewpont runs REAL FAST on v4 was this corrected?
no other company in the gaming world will ever have the originality that sega and nintendo have to offer, PEROID. xbox and sony take a HIKE!!!!!
sbz -04-
Quzar
Dream Coder
Dream Coder

Post by Quzar »

the frameskip also doubles as a frame limiter, but is less efficient at that, so it may still be too fast, check it on your own and tell us :mrgreen:
"When you post fewer lines of text than your signature, consider not posting at all." - A Wise Man
Ian Micheal
Soul Sold for DCEmu
Soul Sold for DCEmu

Post by Ian Micheal »

Eiji wrote:
Ian Micheal wrote:Flicker Im talking about is on the sides.. Nothing else was removed. If so is just Gcc acting wierd with a compiler setting..

I thought the video flicker on the sides was fixed in v4.

Which games do the shadows flicker for you?
Ranguard the shadows flicker ..
Dreamcast forever!!!
xenon
DCEmu Freak
DCEmu Freak

Post by xenon »

I said the first time I tested Viewpoint (The first time Viewpoint was tested on this emulator :D ) that sometimes is goes very fast, specially in the title screen. But the game goes very well. It has some graphical problems, but Fosters told us that the game has the same problem in the PC emulator. It's true... but now some games, like Puzzle Bobble run like in a real Neo-Geo. :wink:

Yours,
Eiji
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by Eiji »

Ian Micheal wrote:Ranguard the shadows flicker ..
Ok. I guess the problem is similiar to the cd audio problem.

Some games have the transparency problems and some don't.
Ian Micheal
Soul Sold for DCEmu
Soul Sold for DCEmu

Post by Ian Micheal »

xenon wrote:I said the first time I tested Viewpoint (The first time Viewpoint was tested on this emulator :D ) that sometimes is goes very fast, specially in the title screen. But the game goes very well. It has some graphical problems, but Fosters told us that the game has the same problem in the PC emulator. It's true... but now some games, like Puzzle Bobble run like in a real Neo-Geo. :wink:

Yours,
Yeah some games run like really fast.. which is good puzzle bubble one day with cd audio and sound would still be playable.
Dreamcast forever!!!
Eiji
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by Eiji »

Ian Micheal wrote:puzzle bubble one day with cd audio and sound would still be playable.
Puzzle Bobble doesn't use cd audio at all ;)

It purely uses ADPCM/FM/AY8910 so its a good game to test whenever you start working on getting sound effects running on games.
DemoniusX
Mental DCEmu
Mental DCEmu

Post by DemoniusX »

yeah I know my friend has two games for NEO cd, he has them in his closet, Puzzle bobble and KOF 96, puzzle bobble uses no CD DA, just he internal Yamaha sound chip that is in the NEO CD console.
no other company in the gaming world will ever have the originality that sega and nintendo have to offer, PEROID. xbox and sony take a HIKE!!!!!
sbz -04-
Ian Micheal
Soul Sold for DCEmu
Soul Sold for DCEmu

Post by Ian Micheal »

Game has 1 cd audio track dont know what it's used for thou.. Well it does on the disk i was given
Dreamcast forever!!!
Eiji
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by Eiji »

I have the Japanese version and the game only has a data track and nothing else.

League Bowling has 1 audio track, its 20+ seconds long but the game uses ADPCM etc the most like Puzzle Bobble.

Oh well, its nearly been 4 weeks since you started this project and its progressed quite rapidly :)

Who knows how the emu will be another 4 weeks down the line :P

Also Fosters mentioned 2 Neo Geo CD emulators for Windows other than NeoCD/SDL, if anyone wants to try them, they are:

NeoGeo CD Emulator 0.6.0 (Best emulator hands down, only runs originals)
Nebula

BTW where have all the other testers gone? I guess I'll follow them :twisted:
Last edited by Eiji on Mon Apr 12, 2004 8:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ian Micheal
Soul Sold for DCEmu
Soul Sold for DCEmu

Post by Ian Micheal »

I can show you the track listing for the game it has one audio track i dont know why you tell it lol.

There's no testers because it works and there fav game works at a playable level on a cheap dreamcast with no modchip.

there all playing games the buggers
Dreamcast forever!!!
iq_132
DCEmu Fast Newbie
DCEmu Fast Newbie

Post by iq_132 »

Baseball Stars 2 - Works great (No CD audio though)
TseTinGFunG
DCEmu Junior
DCEmu Junior

Post by TseTinGFunG »

That was a quick update. Great work guys. Thanks.
Now Playing - Counter-Strike Dreamcast (CSDC) Beta 5.
DCmad
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu

Post by DCmad »

what's the speed in metal slug 1 & 2 and puzzle bobble rated? 80~90%???

and ian, if it could use one cd with the emulator, bios, and game, tracks and so, you coudn't make single game disks? just pop and play :) only a silly idea...

does it suports backuped disks?
Eiji
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by Eiji »

DCmad wrote:what's the speed in metal slug 1 & 2 and puzzle bobble rated? 80~90%???

and ian, if it could use one cd with the emulator, bios, and game, tracks and so, you coudn't make single game disks? just pop and play :) only a silly idea...

does it suports backuped disks?
Metal Slug 1 is about 70% speed with cd audio and no sfx.
Metal Slug 2 is about 50% speed with cd audio and no sfx and also heavy slowdown.
Puzzle Bobble runs full speed and has no sound yet.

Also don't talk about backups, the emulator was made for people with original games, backups can produce unreliable results and don't work properly with the NeoCD emulator. Read the forum rules.