Tomorrow is the day the scene dies...

Talk about anything and everything not related to this site or the Dreamcast, such as news stories, political discussion, or anything else. If there's not a forum for it, it belongs in here. Also, be warned that personal insults, threats, and spamming will not be tolerated.
az_bont
Administrator
Administrator
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Tomorrow is the day the scene dies...

Post by az_bont »

Well, do you know what tomorrow is? Tomorrow is the day that Jeeba Jabba, respected forum regular and ex-member of staff prophesied the downfall of the Dreamcast homebrew scene (here).

Why even bother mentioning this? Well, when I first started coming here I didn't have a clue how long this would last. And I'm sure we can all agree that the scene has changed radically over the last couple of years - the most obvious change being that there has been a gradual transition from emulators to homebrewed games as the main focus point of the scene, as well as a revived interest in the Dreamcast from non-DC coders worldwide.

Personally, I feel that the scene is better than ever, and looks to only get stronger over the coming months and years. But I'd like to hear what everyone else thinks about the "scene", and what you think the future holds.

Anyone?
Last edited by az_bont on Sun Apr 11, 2004 7:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sick of sub-par Dreamcast web browsers that fail to impress? Visit Psilocybin Dreams!
ace
Forum ace
Forum ace

Post by ace »

dreamer_68 wrote:we cant really be sure how long it will last but my geuss will be 5+ years simply becasue everyone loves free stuff! and we will never get tired of plyng classic systems that we may have sold or whatever. i mean think about it the dc came out in 1999 and although many people claim it dead (you can't call a console dead if games are still being released for it[even if theyre not official])look at how long i has lasted thanx to taalented homebrew game developers and emulator developers. the dreamcast was a great system. dc emulaion is a great site and i thnk people will be developing for a loooooooooooooooooong time.

-dreamer

Damn, I had to post in that topic eh? Man, I embarass myself!
Specially Cork

Post by Specially Cork »

What scares me most about that is what I realised yesterday.
I have been posting here for over 2 years of my life.
Thats scary. Really, scary.

And whate even worse, is I made a post in that topic referring to dcquad, and digimine. I can't even remember what those games are now, I don't know how I ever burnt them, I dont have the discs they were on, and I don't really want to play them either.

And whats even worse is...HyperG :o
Gmc
DCEmu User with No Life
DCEmu User with No Life

Post by Gmc »

Yep...some of us have been posting here for a very long time now (I'm sure I've been here since like 2001?).
Nyarlathotep
Soul Sold for DCEmu
Soul Sold for DCEmu

Post by Nyarlathotep »

If you remember upgrading the phpBB forums and everyones accounts getting reset you've been here a fairly long time.

If you remember UBB you've been here aaaaaaaaaaages
|darc|
DCEmu Webmaster
DCEmu Webmaster

Post by |darc| »

scykon wrote:And whate even worse, is I made a post in that topic referring to dcquad, and digimine. I can't even remember what those games are now, I don't know how I ever burnt them, I dont have the discs they were on, and I don't really want to play them either.
I used to know a whole damn lot about burning DC stuff, I knew how to use all the command line tools without looking at anything, and basically how to do everything every way. I can't remember any of it now. It saddens me..
It's thinking...
Captain Skyhawk
DCEmu Respected
DCEmu Respected

Post by Captain Skyhawk »

Seeing how much is released for the Dreamcast, the scene will be very longlasting. It will take me ages to try out all the Dreamcast software that came out lately. In the beginning I could easily keep up and even burned every new release on a seperate cd. Later on I used multisession disc to try everything out and now I don't even know where to start :).

Some times back I also realised that I was here for almost 3 years. Really crazy, because it still seems so new. Another milestone is for this forum, wich is running for so long time. And oh.. does anybody know if the UBB forum was backed up, would be great to be reading those old posts about NesterDC 1.0 and Gleam.
Visit the DC Help for all the Dreamcast homebrew help you need!
Go to DC Evolution, for the best ready to burn images
|darc|
DCEmu Webmaster
DCEmu Webmaster

Post by |darc| »

Captain Skyhawk wrote:Seeing how much is released for the Dreamcast, the scene will be very longlasting. It will take me ages to try out all the Dreamcast software that came out lately. In the beginning I could easily keep up and even burned every new release on a seperate cd. Later on I used multisession disc to try everything out and now I don't even know where to start :).

Some times back I also realised that I was here for almost 3 years. Really crazy, because it still seems so new. Another milestone is for this forum, wich is running for so long time. And oh.. does anybody know if the UBB forum was backed up, would be great to be reading those old posts about NesterDC 1.0 and Gleam.
I believe it was, you're going to have to talk to Cheatah about it.
It's thinking...
Captain Skyhawk
DCEmu Respected
DCEmu Respected

Post by Captain Skyhawk »

Contacting Cheatah? Hmmm... almost impossible. But hey, one mainpage of the UBB forum was in the internet archive. Look here, nice little forum it was than, huh?
Visit the DC Help for all the Dreamcast homebrew help you need!
Go to DC Evolution, for the best ready to burn images
Boshi
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by Boshi »

I just came back. I think I remember something about accounts being reset and the boards being hacked. ( I prolly still have that spam sent out on the forum mailer. )

where is jeeba anyhow?
Specially Cork

Post by Specially Cork »

|darc| wrote:
scykon wrote:And whate even worse, is I made a post in that topic referring to dcquad, and digimine. I can't even remember what those games are now, I don't know how I ever burnt them, I dont have the discs they were on, and I don't really want to play them either.
I used to know a whole damn lot about burning DC stuff, I knew how to use all the command line tools without looking at anything, and basically how to do everything every way. I can't remember any of it now. It saddens me..
Yep, same here. I had a "DC Emuation" folder" full of tools. I could help any n00b with pretty much anything, whether it be burning discs, making inducer stuff the old fasioned way, selfbooting using command line tools, modding dc doom and dc quake, scrambling, descambling etc. etc.
Now, I cant remember any of it.
Joestar
DCEmu Respected
DCEmu Respected

Post by Joestar »

But hey, one mainpage of the UBB forum was in the internet archive. Look here, nice little forum it was than, huh?
lol a SegaGEN forum...lol
Dr. Zoidberg
The Filth
The Filth

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

Captain Skyhawk wrote:Contacting Cheatah? Hmmm... almost impossible.
Not really impossible. ;)
Captain Skyhawk wrote:But hey, one mainpage of the UBB forum was in the internet archive. Look here, nice little forum it was than, huh?
No joke, I went to archive.org once & got to view most of the old UBB forums, the main forum, OT (all my old posts!) etc., stupidly I didn't save the pages because I thought they'd still be there the next time I visited but they weren't. :(
AmadeusZull
Soul Sold for DCEmu
Soul Sold for DCEmu

Post by AmadeusZull »

when are we gonna upgrade these boards to invision board?

I am no longer an ACE@ite. Never will I kiss his feet is what I don't. And that I don't, is good I do.
Nyarlathotep
Soul Sold for DCEmu
Soul Sold for DCEmu

Post by Nyarlathotep »

AmadeusZull wrote:when are we gonna upgrade these boards to invision board?
When am I in my cold cold grave - how can you even want invision? those forums are horrible
MetaFox
Adventure Gamer
Adventure Gamer

Post by MetaFox »

AmadeusZull wrote:when are we gonna upgrade these boards to invision board?
Please tell me you are making an offhand snide remark as to Falcon's constant whining about switching to Invision, rather than seriously wanting it yourself. :o

Invision is the devil. :?
Lunchbox
1337 Food Container
1337 Food Container

Post by Lunchbox »

I think this forum is fine, no need to switch )()(