second ps2 fan?

Discuss modifications you have done or plan to do to your Dreamcast or any other hardware, or discuss devices you want to build. If your console does not work or is acting up, ask about fixing it in here.
riva16
DCEmu Mega Poster
DCEmu Mega Poster
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

second ps2 fan?

Post by riva16 »

I just lost my beloved ps2... :( God rests its murdered soul... Yes... I killed my Ps2 in a mod installation gone bad... Good thing i'm goin for a broken ps2 V7 on some auction site... yeah :roll:

Once i get another ps2, V7, has to be V7 for the replacement parts, I want to install that chip, this time have it work, and put in my fan left over from my dearly departed one. I think it would work to have this second fan in the front of the system pushing air from outside torwards the fan in the back. This would force all the heat in the heat sink to go torwards the fan int he back. Would that work, or create a problem? I know SONY developed it for one fan, but think about it. Sounds logical huh? I even though to create my own heat sink that runs heat beside the fan int he back to help even more. I would simply have to mount some alluminum tot he normal heat sink, and make it closer tot he fan by the emotion engine chip. That chip looks tight too by the way. I might remove it from my old broken system for a key chain.
Why doesn't HTML work anymore on this damn forum!? God!
Alexvrb
DCEmu Ultra Poster
DCEmu Ultra Poster

Post by Alexvrb »

Adding a second fan wouldn't hurt. I don't know that it'd really help either, and it does put extra weight on the PSU (though I wouldn't think it'd matter). Or you could just replace the heatsink entirely with a better one. If mounting it is a problem, you could use Arctic Silver Epoxy. Conducts almost as well as their thermal compound, and creates a very strong bond (don't screw up with it). If the CPU is indeed your primary source of heat, and if you're bored enough to replace the heatsink, you could also use ducting. That is where instead of just pushing/pulling air into the system, you use tubing to direct it exactly where you want it. For instance, you could have a tube going from the back of the heatsink directly to the exhaust fan, so it has the warm air being sucked directly out of the case.

Anyway I think that is all massive overkill, and a second fan is probably more than enough by itself. But there are lots of cool things bored people with a little cash can do.
If you have twenty monkeys,
banging randomly on typewriters,
they will in twenty minutes produce the complete source code to World of Warcraft.
riva16
DCEmu Mega Poster
DCEmu Mega Poster

Post by riva16 »

You know, i just thouht... I still have the heatsink from the broken ps2 here. If I rip up the heat sink leaving only the fins, i could just mount the fin part to the top of the other fins. This would add a first level of heat fins and a second. Plus the one fan pushing air off the heat sinks to the fan in the back! Ohh man!
Alexvrb
DCEmu Ultra Poster
DCEmu Ultra Poster

Post by Alexvrb »

The second fan helps, but stacking the fins won't do anything. The heat, even with copper fins (which I am sure they didn't use), stops being conducted effectively after a short distance. The more you add, the less you gain, and that is even assuming they are one piece of metal and not joined. That is why they don't make heatsinks taller and taller without some sort of mechanism to force the heat up, like heatpipes embedded inside the base (which is why the only effective tower-style heatsinks use heatpipes).

I don't think you should be that concerned with heat anyway to do anything crazy, but if you want to, you could replace the heatsink entirely or duct air straight to the HS from the front of the case.
they will in twenty minutes produce the complete source code to World of Warcraft.
riva16
DCEmu Mega Poster
DCEmu Mega Poster

Post by riva16 »

I get what you mean. I just put that idea together based on what I saw from my heat sink addition to mycustom amp inmy portble screen project. The heat was mving from the main sink to the secodn and third sinks I added getting closer to the fan. It worked too... Ok, I'm just gonna add the second fan in the front of the system to push air torwards the back fan and test it out.
Alexvrb
DCEmu Ultra Poster
DCEmu Ultra Poster

Post by Alexvrb »

I think that'd do quite well. Show pictures of the heatsink and the fans, when you're done. I haven't seen a PS2 with an intake fan before, and you always seem to do a good job with your work. If you can measure the original heatsink too, that'd be great. If you wanted to, you'd could still replace the heatsink altogether. You could probably get a significantly wider one that would extend further towards one fan or the other. If you've got one solid base, it would conduct better. I don't know how much clearance you have, but there are all sorts of relatively slim-but-wide GPU heatsinks that could work. If you decide to do this, I could look around a bit and see if anything catches my eye.
Boshi
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by Boshi »

stacking heatsinks would just impede airflow. If you want to improve the cooling, try better heatsinks ( copper for example ). Or maybe even fool around with heatpipes.
Alexvrb
DCEmu Ultra Poster
DCEmu Ultra Poster

Post by Alexvrb »

Boshi wrote:stacking heatsinks would just impede airflow. If you want to improve the cooling, try better heatsinks ( copper for example ). Or maybe even fool around with heatpipes.
The way he wanted to do it, it really wouldn't impede airflow. But it wouldn't help anything either.