Dear Heliophobe,

This forum is for discussion pertaining to homebrew and indie software for the Dreamcast, such as homebrew games, emulators/interpreters, and other homebrew software/applications. Porting requests and developmental ideas are not to be made here; you can make those here. If you need any help burning discs for homebrew software, this is the place to ask as well.
Big Time
DCEmu Crazy Poster
DCEmu Crazy Poster
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Dear Heliophobe,

Post by Big Time »

I was just wondering when the world, or at least the DCemu community, will see an updated version of Smeg. I wonder because there hasn't been an update on your website in months. (At least that's what the site says.) I just dl'd v0.84 a few weeks ago (obviously I'm new at the whole DCemu thing) and fell in love with it. I'm sure that others are looking forward to an update as much as myself (VMU saves, anyone? :D ) and any scrap of news you see fit to throw our way will be much appreciated.

Thank you for your time.

Sincerely,
Me
404NotFound
DCEmu Ex-Mod
DCEmu Ex-Mod

Post by 404NotFound »

Smeg is very good as it is, but I as well would like to see some more fetures. It just feels bland...

But I can understand time constraints, with just a DreamSNES benchmark list to update i see where time begins to be an issue...
Big Time
DCEmu Crazy Poster
DCEmu Crazy Poster

Post by Big Time »

Exactly! Don't get me wrong. I think Smeg rocks. If there were never another release, I'd be happy nonetheless. The only thing I'd like to see on it is a save feature for VMUs.

I don't mean to sound as if I'm rushing the poor chap. It's just that he's been very sparce with the news. I mean...hell, is it still being worked on?

My point is that Smeg is an emu that doesn't get talked about that much on these forums, and I wanted to let Heliophobe know a) there are some of us that really dig what's been done so far, and b) we want to know what's comin' down the pipe (so to speak :o ).
404NotFound
DCEmu Ex-Mod
DCEmu Ex-Mod

Post by 404NotFound »

Big Time wrote:Exactly! Don't get me wrong. I think Smeg rocks. If there were never another release, I'd be happy nonetheless. The only thing I'd like to see on it is a save feature for VMUs.

I don't mean to sound as if I'm rushing the poor chap. It's just that he's been very sparce with the news. I mean...hell, is it still being worked on?

My point is that Smeg is an emu that doesn't get talked about that much on these forums, and I wanted to let Heliophobe know a) there are some of us that really dig what's been done so far, and b) we want to know what's comin' down the pipe (so to speak :o ).
I just burned Smeg like two days ago actually.
Heliophobe
Smeg Creator
Smeg Creator

Post by Heliophobe »

Hi Big Time. Thanks for the feedback.

It's being 'worked on' in the sense that I haven't abandoned it, and I intend to keep improving it in the future. In the past few weeks, though, I haven't managed to find the time for it. For that matter, in the past few months, every time I get something done with it and I announce that I'm closing to releasing an update or at least a new beta, something swoops in and sops up all the spare time I'd need to finish what I'm working on. Then when I get back to it my momentum is gone and it takes a while to pick up wher eI left off. So lately I've decided it's best not to post any updates and get people's expectations up.

Looks like I'm going to be busy at work for a while, but there should be a break in there soon.

There's been a lot of work put into it since V.84, mostly involving rewriting the sound system and putting in VMU save support. However, it's not ready for public consumption and I'm not certain exactly how much it needs before I can say the VMU stuff is stable and usable.
Spongebob Squarepants
DCEmu Freak
DCEmu Freak

Post by Spongebob Squarepants »

Heliophobe wrote:Hi Big Time. Thanks for the feedback.

It's being 'worked on' in the sense that I haven't abandoned it, and I intend to keep improving it in the future. In the past few weeks, though, I haven't managed to find the time for it. For that matter, in the past few months, every time I get something done with it and I announce that I'm closing to releasing an update or at least a new beta, something swoops in and sops up all the spare time I'd need to finish what I'm working on. Then when I get back to it my momentum is gone and it takes a while to pick up wher eI left off. So lately I've decided it's best not to post any updates and get people's expectations up.

Looks like I'm going to be busy at work for a while, but there should be a break in there soon.

There's been a lot of work put into it since V.84, mostly involving rewriting the sound system and putting in VMU save support. However, it's not ready for public consumption and I'm not certain exactly how much it needs before I can say the VMU stuff is stable and usable.
HELIOPHOBE ROCKS! GO SMEG!
"WHO ARE YOU AND WHY ARE YOU IN MY BOAT?! AND WHY ARE YOU WEARING THAT SKI MASK BECAUSE YOURE NOT SKING!" ~ Spongebob
Captain Skyhawk
DCEmu Respected
DCEmu Respected

Post by Captain Skyhawk »

I do not like to hype things up, but the newest sound engine (I think he rewrote 4 times!) is really good! When I heared the example on the homepage I was stunned by the qualitiy. Knowing the real Master System, this sounded really close to the original one. Keep it up!
Visit the DC Help for all the Dreamcast homebrew help you need!
Go to DC Evolution, for the best ready to burn images
Big Time
DCEmu Crazy Poster
DCEmu Crazy Poster

Post by Big Time »

Well, thank you, kind sir, for your reply. I'm glad to hear it hasn't been forgotten about. And I wholeheartedly agree with your decision to NOT post news or betas if it isn't ready yet. With how little Smeg gets mentioned here, it feels like it's more of an underground thing anyway.

(...even though everyone knows about it, but hey...)

Thank you again.

PS: I, too, have heard the sound demo on the Smeg News page. It kicked my ass. Keep up the good work.
eham
DCEmu Fast Newbie
DCEmu Fast Newbie

Post by eham »

Nice work Heliophobe!!
Keep the good work comming because your emu rocks!!! :P
Cant wait to see a update with the save feature and now it will be one of the best emu on the scene!!

Thanks!!!