Using Two Computer Monitors

Discuss modifications you have done or plan to do to your Dreamcast or any other hardware, or discuss devices you want to build. If your console does not work or is acting up, ask about fixing it in here.
molotovwars
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Using Two Computer Monitors

Post by molotovwars »

My sisters old (and I mean old) computer is preatty worthless in terms of slaving parts, but it does have a decent monitor, and I was wondering if I'd be able to have two monitors hooked into my computer at the same time both putting out the same images.

I'd be good to be able to turn either one a different way to allow someone else a better angle for viewing or just something neat.

would it be a simple matter of splicing a cord or would it be more complex?

please share your thoughts and ideas?
Quzar
Dream Coder
Dream Coder

Post by Quzar »

you can do this with a spliced cord, but you will need to make sure not to connect the pins for DDC(?) info, because i think the computer would just get garbled signals anyways.
"When you post fewer lines of text than your signature, consider not posting at all." - A Wise Man
ninja
DCEmu's own ninja
DCEmu's own ninja

Post by ninja »

It can be done by splicing, on the "slave" monitor, heres a pin-out for the output on the vid card:

1. Red Out
2. Green Out
3. Blue Out
4. Unused
5. Unused
6. Red Return (Ground)
7. Green Return (Ground)
8. Blue Return (Ground)
9. unknown
10. Sync Return (Ground)
11. Monitor ID 0 IN
12. Monitor ID 1 In or data from display
13. Horizontal Sync Cut
14. Vertical Sync
15. Monitor ID 3 in or data clock
Delete my posting account.

Thanks.
Quzar
Dream Coder
Dream Coder

Post by Quzar »

im pretty sure that you just lose the 11,12 and 15 pins, that way it dosnt confuse between two monitors.
"When you post fewer lines of text than your signature, consider not posting at all." - A Wise Man
FETUS
Knight of Null
Knight of Null

Post by FETUS »

well if your mobo has a built in video card it'd be a lot easier just plug another card in
rmbell
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by rmbell »

my new radeon 9800 pro has two monitor outputs, way easier to hook up 2.
Old school.
molotovwars
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu

Post by molotovwars »

Does it make a difference that the monitor outputs are different on each of the computer towers, in doing so that the cords for the output are different? Is it still doable?
ninja
DCEmu's own ninja
DCEmu's own ninja

Post by ninja »

well, as long as they are both 15 pin VGA / SVGA connectors, shouldnt be a connector. Now, if the older PC uses the old old old 9 pin configuration, then its a whole new ballpark

Thanks.
molotovwars
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu

Post by molotovwars »

I'll take a look sometime in the next few days
Juggalo_Jay
Mental DCEmu
Mental DCEmu

Post by Juggalo_Jay »

Connecting two monitors isn't as simple as splicing a cord... the signal will get too weak, I think. Here is a link to a diagram to make a nifty little device to drive two monitors from one signal without loss in signal power (For the 15 pin regular monitor, if that's what you got on both puters).
Cheese?
molotovwars
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu

Post by molotovwars »

ok I just checked, and both of mine are 15 pin, I'm really not that good with electricity and soldering and whatever else may be required in the above link, would someone be able to help me with this, I'd pay for the materials and some for labor, I'd want the cord for the second monitor to be maybe 10 feet - 15 feet away from the first monitor
Boshi
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by Boshi »

http://bk.2y.net/~boshi/pics/dualie.jpg

there is a pic of my PC. I run two monitors, but not the same picture on both... I just have twice the desktop space. :D
lucaspiller
DCEmu Cool Newbie
DCEmu Cool Newbie

Post by lucaspiller »

Wow! Your room is nearly as untidy as mine! :D

I should think the easiest thing to do would just be buy another video card and a monitor extension cable.
molotovwars
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu

Post by molotovwars »

i'd go out and spend money on this but its not like the other monitor is worh all the trouble, i'd just like to have two hooked up, so i can play movies and ppl at different seats each have their own best view.

@boshi - how can you control what is on each monitor? maybe i'm wrong but it just looks like you have two computers hooked up side by side...
ninja
DCEmu's own ninja
DCEmu's own ninja

Post by ninja »

for me, i have an ati radeon 9000. it has your standard 15 pin vga out, as well as an s-video out. anyway, the drivers that came with my card also include a "control panel" applet that allows me to control my 2nd monitor (aka the s-video out). I can set it for either "2nd desktop, clone mode, or theater mode". 2nd desktop is just that, a 2nd desktop that i can drag apps onto, clone mod shows the exact same that happens on the primary monitor, and theater mode will allow me to play a movie on my pc full screen on the 2nd monitor, while still being able to do whatever i please, on the primary. if you do the "cut / splice" technique, there would be some signal loss (im sure this can be fixed however with some sort of video amplifier), and the 2nd monitor would be in a "clone" state since its getting the same signal as the first monitor.

Thanks.
molotovwars
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu

Post by molotovwars »

my desk is the kind that in the center has the area for the monitor, and to the left and right are two raised areas, often used for printers and or scanners. If i wanted to instead place each monitor on the side areas would i still have to worry about a weak signal from just splicing?
revengeofLaEternal
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu

Post by revengeofLaEternal »

Do you want to have the same picture on both monitors (aka "mirroring") or do you want to extend the desktop space onto two monitors? I think you want the latter, but I just want to make sure :-P

If it's the first one, then splicing is the way to go for there's no need for extra hardware (although having the signal amplifier would be good). If it's the latter, then it's dependent on the hardware you have in your computer. It would require either two video cards or one video card that supports two monitors.