NesterDC Bileniar filter

This forum is for discussion pertaining to homebrew and indie software for the Dreamcast, such as homebrew games, emulators/interpreters, and other homebrew software/applications. Porting requests and developmental ideas are not to be made here; you can make those here. If you need any help burning discs for homebrew software, this is the place to ask as well.
Shinji_the_Stampede
DCEmu Fast Newbie
DCEmu Fast Newbie
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

NesterDC Bileniar filter

Post by Shinji_the_Stampede »

can anyone tell me what this does? I didn't download the dialy nester with it yet i just wanted to know what it does.
Tyne
Pimp DC Devver
Pimp DC Devver

Post by Tyne »

Smooths out the graphics by bluring pixels making it look nice.
I for one think it's useless since TV's do this to NES games anyways!
The Kron
DCEmu Respected
DCEmu Respected

Post by The Kron »

It also makes a bigger impact depending on how you connect your Dreamcast to your TV.

If you use an RGB Scart lead as a connector it will display the games in a very clear high resolution.
fatheadpi
First Class Dick
First Class Dick

Post by fatheadpi »

wonder what it'll do for a vga monitor...
Need a Treamcast, Dreamcast modchip, HUGE DC memory card, ASCII-like DC fighter pad, or Saturn Gameshark with tons of backup memory? PM me.
Oz
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by Oz »

Here is a little more detailed explanation I did in another thread:

http://www.dcemulation.org/phpBB/viewto ... highlight=
fatheadpi
First Class Dick
First Class Dick

Post by fatheadpi »

And a fine post it is! Arr matey.
Need a Treamcast, Dreamcast modchip, HUGE DC memory card, ASCII-like DC fighter pad, or Saturn Gameshark with tons of backup memory? PM me.
404NotFound
DCEmu Ex-Mod
DCEmu Ex-Mod

Post by 404NotFound »

Nice explanation! Maybe in the future we might get.. dare i say it.... trilinear filtering?
The Kron
DCEmu Respected
DCEmu Respected

Post by The Kron »

Im pretty sure the Power VR2 hardware isnt capable of Tri-Linear filtering.
404NotFound
DCEmu Ex-Mod
DCEmu Ex-Mod

Post by 404NotFound »

Parappa wrote:Im pretty sure the Power VR2 hardware isnt capable of Tri-Linear filtering.
Yeah i guess it's just a pipe dream...

I always wondered.. did the term "pipe dream" come from tripping while smoking a pipe?
Heliophobe
Smeg Creator
Smeg Creator

Post by Heliophobe »

Parappa wrote:Im pretty sure the Power VR2 hardware isnt capable of Tri-Linear filtering.

I'm not entirely sure it isn't. In the documentation for PowerVR in the Dreamcast it mentions in the bitfield where you set what kind of filtering you want (none or bilinear) that trilinear is one of the options. Whenever I set it, I ended up with no visible texture. It might mean that it was a feature supported in some chips in the PowerVR family but not the particular model used in the Dreamcast, or perhaps it is supported but some other polygon setting I was using is incompatible with trilinear filtering.
I always wondered.. did the term "pipe dream" come from tripping while smoking a pipe?
Yeah, specifically, opium-induced fantasies, according to Merriam Webster (http://www.m-w.com) anyway.
Mr.TA
DCEmu Cool Newbie
DCEmu Cool Newbie

Post by Mr.TA »

The PVRDC chip has support for Bi-linear, Tri-linear, and Anisotropic texture filtering. However, 99% of games will only use Bi-linear filtering. Tri-linear and Anisotropic filtering (da best) cost a bit more fillrate and are rarely used.

Thats not to say there's no games that don't use the other types of filtering...Test Drive:Le Mans uses Tri-linear (or is Anisotropic?) texture filtering along with a TON of other effects and a real-time clock and I may say it's one of the best sim type racers ever made!

How's that for OT? :D