GRRRR......Stupid DOS on XP!

Talk about anything and everything not related to this site or the Dreamcast, such as news stories, political discussion, or anything else. If there's not a forum for it, it belongs in here. Also, be warned that personal insults, threats, and spamming will not be tolerated.
jessman
DCEmu Super Poster
DCEmu Super Poster
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

GRRRR......Stupid DOS on XP!

Post by jessman »

Hey, I just bought the PC version of Megaman X. Well, it's all screwed! How the HECK do I get it run properly?!? Please help! Also, I can't play any of my other old DOS games on XP! I felt like pulling out a couple of classics aside from the DOS Megaman X like the first PC Megaman and Megaman III. If you guy don't believe me then I can post a pic of ME holding the disks. Just please, help me! I'm sick of wasting money!

Spreading his inquiries all over the net!

<^_^>
Calavera
DCEmu Classic User
DCEmu Classic User

Post by Calavera »

Yeah, I've been wanting to play Bioforge for awhile but I can't get it to work, not even under 95 or 98 on Virtual PC 2004.
ninja
DCEmu's own ninja
DCEmu's own ninja

Post by ninja »

Im not sure of the system requirements of the game, but check out the utilities section over on zophar.net comp util. Theres also a dos emulator (i think its called dosbox or something like that), but it can be quite slow if you dont have a really beefy system. Only other thing i could suggest is maybe download a bootdisk with cd-rom drive support, and then make sure you do your

set blaster =a220 i5 t1

of course, you need to have it set for your system. anyway, good luck.
Delete my posting account.

Thanks.
jessman
DCEmu Super Poster
DCEmu Super Poster

Post by jessman »

Have you ever used VDMSound before? If you download it you can emulate Sound Blaster on XP almost perfectly. Some games don't work with it, but the games that do are AMAZING! Well, with Megaman X, there's also graphical errors like missing textures and stranges colors. The game will OCCASIONALY start up with sound turned off, but the errors are still evident. By occasiocally, I mean like once ever fifteen times! Gr....why can't someone help me?

<^_^>
userlain
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by userlain »

um try running the game in compatability mode
i've had just about enough of the mods. if you wanna fight, let me just wip out my switchblade and cut you up into tiny pieces and feed you to the pigeons.
jessman
DCEmu Super Poster
DCEmu Super Poster

Post by jessman »

HUH? Wow! How could I not see something so FRIGGIN' obvious? I've never used it before except.................TWO-HUNDRED-MILLION TIMES! Forget it, thanks everyone for TRYING to help. But I see that it's useless. Dos games just aren't meant to run on XP, no matter what you do...

EDIT: Sorry, userlain, but as you can see, I'm a huge fan of Megaman. Everyone's prolly wondering why I don't just use the rom, but the thing is, I wanted to try something completely different. Oh well, them's the breaks.

<^_^>
butters
Classic Games Lover
Classic Games Lover
Location: Lubbock, Texas, United States, Sol 3, Milky Way Galaxy

Post by butters »

http://www.bootdisk.com

Grab a dos boot disk, play your games, and be happy
userlain
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by userlain »

sorry jessman, didn't know ou already tryed that. some people dont know about it. sok that you freaked out though. i don't really care.

yeah um bowser has a really good idea.

make a win98se bootdisk and boot with cd-rom support

:wink:
i've had just about enough of the mods. if you wanna fight, let me just wip out my switchblade and cut you up into tiny pieces and feed you to the pigeons.
Falcon McCooper
DCEmu Newbie
DCEmu Newbie

Post by Falcon McCooper »

Windows XP runs on an NT-based kernel; Windows NT only has a command interpreter, no underlaying DOS. Windows 9x runs "on top of" DOS, so programs can more-or-less drill a hole through Windows 9x to get to run on DOS. If you drill on XP/2K, all you get is dust (and static).

What you need is a freeware emulation system called "DOSbox", that emulates a video card, a sound card, and DOS itself. It's still in development, so it may or may not run your programs. Best of all, you don't need to go out and buy DOS for it, either.

http://dosbox.sourceforge.net/
jessman
DCEmu Super Poster
DCEmu Super Poster

Post by jessman »

THANK YOU VERY MUCH FOR THE LINK! EVERY GAME except MEGAMAN X WORK! Oh well, I can deal with that. Well, I wanted to pull out an old DOS game that I used to play on my Windows 3.1 Laptop. Well, the disk is so old that I keep getting errors! The game was Sink or Swim. Has anyone played this old classic before? If you can please give me a link to this (NOW ) freeware game I'd really appreciate it. Thank you VERY MUCH. This is the last thing I need help with. I really appreciate everything.

<^_^>
curt_grymala
Theme Inducer
Theme Inducer

Post by curt_grymala »

Bowser wrote:http://www.bootdisk.com

Grab a dos boot disk, play your games, and be happy
That sounds like a good suggestion to me.

You want to know why DOS games don't run on XP? Simple answer: Because XP is not DOS based. AFAIK, it's UNIX based.

I don't know why they weren't working on 95 or 98. I have never had a problem getting DOS things to work on 98SE.
DCHelp - A Newbie's Best Friend
DC Evolution - Disc Images
DreamZone Forums

I Refuse To Help Anyone That Says They've Tried Everything.
Wagh
Wagh

Post by Wagh »

better yet get bochs and run freedos off of it...
Bush and Hussein together in bed
Giving H-E-A-D head
Y'all motherfuckers heard what we said
Billions made and millions dead
WaCk0
DC Respected Artist
DC Respected Artist

Post by WaCk0 »

all my DOS games worked on XP DOS Box (with VDMSound).

bowser's idea is your last hope :)
just try it.

if fails, then drop an email to: gates@microsoft.com and ask why does not work :wink:
jessman
DCEmu Super Poster
DCEmu Super Poster

Post by jessman »

Guys, I'm using DOSBox now and it's really amazing (except for higher-end games). I don't need any more help with running DOS, but can you all PLEASE help me with something really stupid? I'm sorry, but I really want to get Sink or Swim. It's an old Dos game that I own. The thing is, the disk is damaged badly and you can't buy it anymore. I can post a picture if you guys don't believe that I own it. I just hope that someone will help me before it gets to that point. PLEASE. Anyway, thank you all for making it so that I can even run NUMBER MUNCHERS on this this! Ha ha ha. Thanks everyone! Just please, if you can, help me with this final favor.

<^_^>
Falcon McCooper
DCEmu Newbie
DCEmu Newbie

jessman wrote:Guys, I'm using DOSBox now and it's really amazing (except for higher-end games). I don't need any more help with running DOS, but can you all PLEASE help me with something really stupid? I'm sorry, but I really want to get Sink or Swim. It's an old Dos game that I own. The thing is, the disk is damaged badly and you can't buy it anymore. I can post a picture if you guys don't believe that I own it. I just hope that someone will help me before it gets to that point. PLEASE. Anyway, thank you all for making it so that I can even run NUMBER MUNCHERS on this this! Ha ha ha. Thanks everyone! Just please, if you can, help me with this final favor.
Hmm. What media is it? 5.25"? 3.5"? ...10"?!?!...
Immediately find or create a cover for whatever kind of disk it is (5.25" and 10" disks have no built-in cover), and STASH IT. Then, fill me in on what it is. I scan Off-Topic about every 3 hours, so just post.
Sir Slash

Post by Sir Slash »

megaman x for pc really sucks bad the sound is really crappy, snes 10x better
WELCO
ME
TOT
HE
NEX
T
LEVEL

jessman
DCEmu Super Poster
DCEmu Super Poster

Post by jessman »

it's two 3.5 floppy disks. I'm going to bed and am too tired to post a pic now, but id really love to play this game again if you could help. thanks for asking.

<^_^>
Falcon McCooper
DCEmu Newbie
DCEmu Newbie

One suggestion, you can try this after you get back online (if you're going to bed, don't try this now). Get a program called "BadCopy" (Google it). It should be able to read what it can of the disk, and work around the rest. Also, if you want to try your luck, another excellent program called "WinImage" can pull an exact copy of the disk into memory - from there you can make an identical copy of the disk and work with that one while keeping the original safe. BadCopy is "shareware" (actually pay-me-now-before-it'll-work-at-all-ware), and WinImage is Indefinite-Free-Trialware.