From computer to VMU?

This forum is for discussion pertaining to homebrew and indie software for the Dreamcast, such as homebrew games, emulators/interpreters, and other homebrew software/applications. Porting requests and developmental ideas are not to be made here; you can make those here. If you need any help burning discs for homebrew software, this is the place to ask as well.
GyroVorbis
Elysian Shadows Developer
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/

From computer to VMU?

Post by GyroVorbis »

I downloaded something from sega that lets me make some interesting VMU animations. If I wish to get those mugs on there I need a VMU cable. I'll get one for Easter. Could you put a .txt file on a VMU and have it readable? Also, couldn't I just buy a dreamcast cord from DC to computer and somehow get a file from my computer through the dreamcast and to the memory card?
GyroVorbis

Post by GyroVorbis »

Waita sec. See, I am ignorant. You can't just directly hook your dear VMU to the pc. But, if I bought a NEXUS 4MB card with the PC link and put my goods on that. Then turned on the DC. Copied all the goods to the VMU. (Would that work?)

And what I really want to work. Would the DC linker cable that links DC to PC have any way of putting junk on the VMU?
curt_grymala
Theme Inducer
Theme Inducer
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by curt_grymala »

Check out the VMU tool (in the Dreamcast Homebrew Apps discussion). I am not quite sure exactly what it does, but it may help.
DCHelp - A Newbie's Best Friend
DC Evolution - Disc Images
DreamZone Forums

I Refuse To Help Anyone That Says They've Tried Everything.
speud
DCEmu Uncool Newbie
DCEmu Uncool Newbie
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by speud »

curt_grymala wrote: I am not quite sure exactly what it does
if you have a codder cable or a bba you can upload files from your PC to your VMU, these files need to be in VMI/VMS format, the VMS file is the content and the VMI file the header.

you may need to create a new VMI if you only have the content or rename the VMS file for example, here is a tool to edit/create your VMI files: http://bswirl.kitsunet.org/vmieditor/

you can also backup a file from your VMU to your PC, it will only save the VMS file in its original name for now, so when youll need to upload it to your VMU again youll need to rename it with the VMS extension and create its corresponding VMI file.

if you dont have a bba/coder cable you can still burn your saves or minigames on a CD so you can delete them from your VMU and download them again as much as you want, it uses the VMI/VMS format as well.

it has also plenty of other functions, the one people seem to be interested in the most is the one that lets you unlock 41 extra blocks so your total number of free blocks become 241 instead of 200.

make sure to read the readme into the archive for more infos, and dont hesitate to ask your questions in the topic mentionned above.
http://blueswirl.fr.st - DC Online Tools and Downloads

thx to Wack0 for the avatar ;)