KOS help please...

This forum is for discussion pertaining to homebrew and indie software for the Dreamcast, such as homebrew games, emulators/interpreters, and other homebrew software/applications. Porting requests and developmental ideas are not to be made here; you can make those here. If you need any help burning discs for homebrew software, this is the place to ask as well.
Gimpware
DCEmu Crazy Poster
DCEmu Crazy Poster
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

KOS help please...

Post by Gimpware »

Ok, I just started learning C++ and I read that KOS supports C++. Now, I've downloaded kos-1.1.6-dc-bin.zip from the Sourceforge site and I have no clue what to do to make it run on my DC. Do I have to compile it? If so, I downloaded and installed Cygwin and I don't know what I'm supposed do with that either. Please, give me some help here... I want to develop some stuff.
SinisterTengu
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by SinisterTengu »

Uhh...I don't think you can use C++ with KOS. Just normal C.
SinisterTengu
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by SinisterTengu »

By the way, what is the link to the KOS SourceForge page? I lost the link, but I need it...
Gimpware
DCEmu Crazy Poster
DCEmu Crazy Poster

C++

Post by Gimpware »

at http://www.boob.co.uk/devtools.html you can link to the sourceforge site, but if you scroll down a little bit from the link by the KOS section, there is a patch to enable C++ with KOS. Anybody know how I can at least get KOS to work on my DC?
ATani
DCGen Creator
DCGen Creator

Re: C++

Post by ATani »

Gimpware wrote:there is a patch to enable C++ with KOS. Anybody know how I can at least get KOS to work on my DC?
This patch is no longer required for the latest KOS versions... I use C++ in KOS alrady and have no problems... Note I am using the CVS version, which I recommend to anyone who is thinking of using KOS, use the CVS version!

ATani
Gimpware
DCEmu Crazy Poster
DCEmu Crazy Poster

help?

Post by Gimpware »

Hey Atani, could you tell me how to get KOS to work then? I think I have the latest version to but I just can't do anything! Please, someone help me! *begs*
Sanchez
DCEmu Ex-Admin
DCEmu Ex-Admin

Post by Sanchez »

Ok, what are you trying to do? Have you been able to compile the base libraries? The examples? Are you writing your own code?

"Help making KOS work" is a bit ambiguous... what is your actual problem?
Gimpware
DCEmu Crazy Poster
DCEmu Crazy Poster

above

Post by Gimpware »

As I posted in the first thread, I have no idea how to do anything. All I've done so far is downloaded kos-1.1.6-dc-bin.zip from the Sourceforge site, and I have a whole mess of files. I installed Cygwin and I don't know if I have to use it for anything or not. Is that what you wanted to know?
Sanchez
DCEmu Ex-Admin
DCEmu Ex-Admin

Post by Sanchez »

Do you have a SH4 compiler toolchain built yet? If not, KOS isn't going to do you a bit of good... (other than maybe seeing a few demos...)
Gimpware
DCEmu Crazy Poster
DCEmu Crazy Poster

nope

Post by Gimpware »

No, I don't have the sh4 toolchain built, let alone know what it is. Could you give me a link to a tutorial that tells me how to do it or whatever?
mirrorsaw_2000
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by mirrorsaw_2000 »

Uh, you should probably try to become proficient in C or C++ before you go messing with any of this stuff. There's little point in someone taking the time to tell you how to set it all up when you're going to have zero clue what to do with it.
Gimpware
DCEmu Crazy Poster
DCEmu Crazy Poster

come on

Post by Gimpware »

All I wanna do is learn. Just tell me how to get it to work and I'll teach myself. I already know some basics of C++ aand I'm learning more every day. I have to start somewhere, why not try KOS at the same time? :?

Oh yeah, and I just want a link to a tutorial. It takes little time to type in a url.
404NotFound
DCEmu Ex-Mod
DCEmu Ex-Mod

Re: come on

Post by 404NotFound »

Gimpware wrote:All I wanna do is learn. Just tell me how to get it to work and I'll teach myself. I already know some basics of C++ aand I'm learning more every day. I have to start somewhere, why not try KOS at the same time? :?
Ehhh.. I would really like to program for DC too, but i'm taking it one step at a time. I'm in a Pascal course right now and am doing VERY well compaired to the class. I can just code stuff so easily and then when i go back and look at it, I wonder how I ever knew to do that... it's like instinct...
Gimpware
DCEmu Crazy Poster
DCEmu Crazy Poster

ugh

Post by Gimpware »

Ok, humor me with a link of how to set up the sh4 enviornment just so I have it for future reference when I learn more C++.
mirrorsaw_2000
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by mirrorsaw_2000 »

Dunno how current this information is, but here you go...

http://dev.dcemulation.org/started-step1.htm
Gimpware
DCEmu Crazy Poster
DCEmu Crazy Poster

Post by Gimpware »

The SH4 + ARM tools aren't downloadable anymore. The files aren't on the server. :( Anybody know another place to download the files from?
User815
DCEmu Cool Newbie
DCEmu Cool Newbie

Post by User815 »

Gimpware wrote:The SH4 + ARM tools aren't downloadable anymore. The files aren't on the server. :( Anybody know another place to download the files from?
The tools are from the GNU project, http://www.gnu.org
This will tell how to set up: http://www.ngine.de/buildgcc_hitmen.html
Here should help with your c++: http://www.ngine.de/gccguide.html

If you have any more questions use the programming forum.