Treamcast power

Discuss modifications you have done or plan to do to your Dreamcast or any other hardware, or discuss devices you want to build. If your console does not work or is acting up, ask about fixing it in here.
runkthepunk
DCEmu Junior
DCEmu Junior
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Treamcast power

Post by runkthepunk »

hey everyone :) i am going to get myself a Treamcast and thought of this. The machine runs on a 12 volt supply and has its own screen and i'm told that the gamecube runs from a 12 volt supply does this mean by changing the power cable connector on a gamecube battery for a DC one you could use a gamecube battery to power the Treamcast? :? i hope this is the case has anyone tried it? or know if this will work to save me knackering up my gamecube battery pack.
DaMadFiddler
Team Screamcast
Team Screamcast

Post by DaMadFiddler »

If you wire in the proper DC (Direct Current, not Dreamcast) head for the battery (and CHECK FOR THE PROPER POLARITY!), this would theoretically work...*IF* the amperage is correct. Everybody checks the voltage, but a lot of people forget the amperage. If you're off by more than one or two hundred mA, it probably won't work.

Also, while I fully understand what you're trying to accomplish...keep in mind that the 'Cube battery SUCKS. It's almost as bad as the Nomad.
Lartrak
DCEmu Respected
DCEmu Respected

Post by Lartrak »

DaMadFiddler wrote:If you wire in the proper DC (Direct Current, not Dreamcast) head for the battery (and CHECK FOR THE PROPER POLARITY!), this would theoretically work...*IF* the amperage is correct. Everybody checks the voltage, but a lot of people forget the amperage. If you're off by more than one or two hundred mA, it probably won't work.

Also, while I fully understand what you're trying to accomplish...keep in mind that the 'Cube battery SUCKS. It's almost as bad as the Nomad.
Nomad on AAs or Nomad battery pack? Nomad battery pack isn't that bad... Over 5 hours.
How to be a Conservative:
You have to believe everything that has ever gone wrong in the history of your country was due to Liberals.
DaMadFiddler
Team Screamcast
Team Screamcast

Post by DaMadFiddler »

AAs.

In my experience, the worst battery life, in order, is:

Nomad (AAs) ~45 minutes
VirtualBoy (AAs) ~1 hour
Gamecube (batt pack) ~1:10
az_bont
Administrator
Administrator

Post by az_bont »

The Nomad battery pack is just 6 rechargable AAs in a pack, isn't it?
Sick of sub-par Dreamcast web browsers that fail to impress? Visit Psilocybin Dreams!
Quzar
Dream Coder
Dream Coder

Post by Quzar »

the one i have is Ni-MH and when fully charged would last about 8-12 hours. I dont know what you peoples problems with it is...
"When you post fewer lines of text than your signature, consider not posting at all." - A Wise Man
qatmix
Mental DCEmu
Mental DCEmu

Post by qatmix »

yes you can connect a CG powerpack. I do and get between 2-4 hrs depending on the amount of disk accessign the game does.
Ender
DCEmu Super Poster
DCEmu Super Poster

Re: Treamcast power

Post by Ender »

Like Fiddler said, check the amperage (or wattage if amperage isn't listed: P=IV)

You can step down the current if necessary pretty easily by adding some resistors. Just make sure that the resistors are rated for the wattage that you're using.

btw:

P is Power in Watts
I is current in Amps
V is Voltage in Volts

V=IR

where:

R is Resistance in Ohms.
markush
DCEmu Freak
DCEmu Freak

Post by markush »

what about the orginal gameboy pocket, with no battery lights and it take only 2 triple A's.
handhelddc
DCEmu Freak
DCEmu Freak

Post by handhelddc »

yes you can connect a CG powerpack. I do and get between 2-4 hrs depending on the amount of disk accessign the game does.
Are you saying you power your treamcast with screen for 2-4 hours with a gamecube battery?