Can the way health bars look in BOR mods be changed?

This forum is for discussion pertaining to homebrew and indie software for the Dreamcast, such as homebrew games, emulators/interpreters, and other homebrew software/applications. Porting requests and developmental ideas are not to be made here; you can make those here. If you need any help burning discs for homebrew software, this is the place to ask as well.
Gav-X
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Can the way health bars look in BOR mods be changed?

Post by Gav-X »

If so, it would greatly enhance a mod's immersive qualities IMO.
curt_grymala
Theme Inducer
Theme Inducer

Post by curt_grymala »

I agree. It would be really cool if DCSteve could change the appearance of the health bar in his MegaMan mod. It should be really easy to make it look like a MegaMan health bar if it is possible. Also, if it's possible to change the appearance of the health bar, Vampiric could probably work something out where it is made up of hearts or something (I know the hearts had nothing to do with your health in the original Castlevanias, but it would still give it a more Castlevania-type feel).

Another question I was wondering about: Is it possible to change the appearance of the items you pick up (like when you punch a wooden box, like the meat and stuff)? If so, it would be cool if DCSteve's mod had those flashing energy balls instead of meat and stuff.
DCHelp - A Newbie's Best Friend
DC Evolution - Disc Images
DreamZone Forums

I Refuse To Help Anyone That Says They've Tried Everything.
VampiricS
Modder Of Rage
Modder Of Rage

Post by VampiricS »

Another question I was wondering about: Is it possible to change the appearance of the items you pick up (like when you punch a wooden box, like the meat and stuff)? If so, it would be cool if DCSteve's mod had those flashing energy balls instead of meat and stuff.
Yes it is possible to change the apparence of the item you pick up like right now in the Castlevania SOD mod when you breaks a candle it can gives you money or a potion like the Life Max upgrade from SOTN on psx (and it's not in the actual demo, hehe :P)

As for the health bars... it's hard coded... we can't edit them to fit our mods better... for now.

Soul Sold for DCEmu

Post by Ian Micheal »

I can edit the life bars if needed.
Dreamcast forever!!!
curt_grymala
Theme Inducer
Theme Inducer

Post by curt_grymala »

Ian Micheal wrote:I can edit the life bars if needed.
That would be awesome. I would love to see that implemented.
DCHelp - A Newbie's Best Friend
DC Evolution - Disc Images
DreamZone Forums

I Refuse To Help Anyone That Says They've Tried Everything.
Gav-X
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by Gav-X »

Ian, could you please post how to edit the life bars so that all the mod creators can do it if they want to?
SSJKarma
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by SSJKarma »

i guess you mean you can change them because you understand the source code right ?

because i doubt them to be modifiable by just editing the TXT files which basically have nothing in themselves. except perhaps positionning of characters and items !
Ian Micheal
Soul Sold for DCEmu
Soul Sold for DCEmu

Post by Ian Micheal »

You have to do it via the source code. It's pretty easy to compile any way. I will give it a try one time.
Dreamcast forever!!!
law56ker
DCEmu Cool Poster
DCEmu Cool Poster

Post by law56ker »

Yea Ian that whould be really cool if you could change it for your mod and for the megaman one to get rid of that ugly red bar that doesn't really fit either game. A ninja turtles power bar and megaman power bar whould be reallly cool.