Industrial Strength Dreamcast Cooling system needed

Discuss modifications you have done or plan to do to your Dreamcast or any other hardware, or discuss devices you want to build. If your console does not work or is acting up, ask about fixing it in here.
sweetdaddyg
DCEmu Newbie
DCEmu Newbie
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Industrial Strength Dreamcast Cooling system needed

Post by sweetdaddyg »

My Dreamcast emitted a foul smell (kind of like burning fish) and when I opened it up the power board had a kind of brown foul smelling goo on parts of it.

What is going on? I dont want my DC to die.

Is there anyway I can cool it better such as a water coolant system or something or a mega powered fan that is easy to do and cost effective?

Any suggestions>?
Nintenter
Mental DCEmu
Mental DCEmu

Post by Nintenter »

i suggest cleaning it and getting advice from the other members on this board lol.
beerbaron
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by beerbaron »

Was the brown goo kinda sticky and greasy? There was some of that on the inside of my gf's cordless phone that was making the buttons not work. I dunno where it came from. I think the most cost effective move would be to buy a *new one.

*new meaning new used one since I don't think you can find new ones anymore
riva16
DCEmu Mega Poster
DCEmu Mega Poster

Post by riva16 »

My first Dc was brand new about 2 years ago. Even then they were rare brand new.
Why doesn't HTML work anymore on this damn forum!? God!
molotovwars
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu

Post by molotovwars »

yeah i remember when i got my dreamcast, I didn't even want one, I was out looking for a psx cuz they were cheap and had lots of games I knew were good, but I couldn't find any, and picked myself up a dreamcast, and have lived hapily ever after.
markush
DCEmu Freak
DCEmu Freak

Post by markush »

has anyone tried to water cool a dreamcast?
Vchat20
DCEmu Ultra Poster
DCEmu Ultra Poster

Post by Vchat20 »

i havent, but if anyone finds a good way to do so, id sure be up to doing it.
Matt
Soul Sold for DCEmu
Soul Sold for DCEmu

Post by Matt »

Goo? Sounds like somethings melted, does it still work? Water cooling DC, kinda overkill but then you could put it in a big case, i've yet to try putting some 486 Heatsink and Fans on mine yet :twisted:
Alexvrb
DCEmu Ultra Poster
DCEmu Ultra Poster

Post by Alexvrb »

mattthemodder wrote:Goo? Sounds like somethings melted, does it still work? Water cooling DC, kinda overkill but then you could put it in a big case, i've yet to try putting some 486 Heatsink and Fans on mine yet :twisted:
Guys - its not the CPU that is in question, his system isn't just getting hot and shutting down/freezing/etc. He had goo on his PSU, correct? Maybe something is LEAKING. Capacitors can leak, for example.
Matt
Soul Sold for DCEmu
Soul Sold for DCEmu

Post by Matt »

Capacitors don't leak just like that, if there leaking i'd say the PSU is screwed or on its last legs
poots
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by poots »

repair doesnt sound like an option sad to say. spares are cheap enough. best of luck mate.
...If you are offended...
Then you dont know me.

__[Peace] = [Poots!]__

visit http://www.retrodesign.co.uk to help out
Alexvrb
DCEmu Ultra Poster
DCEmu Ultra Poster

Post by Alexvrb »

mattthemodder wrote:Capacitors don't leak just like that, if there leaking i'd say the PSU is screwed or on its last legs
Capacitors CAN "just leak like that", they are man-made. They can have issues, it doesn't mean they TYPICALLY burst or leak, but you can have cheap/defective/worn ones leak. Replace the PSU, or get a new DC. Save the rest of the parts, though... sell them or give them away at the least.

http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=9423

http://www.careyholzman.com/caps/gallery.htm
Matt
Soul Sold for DCEmu
Soul Sold for DCEmu

Post by Matt »

Yeah but im saying a good normal cap shouldn't really leak, if you can read the rating you could buy a replacement one and solder it in
Alexvrb
DCEmu Ultra Poster
DCEmu Ultra Poster

Post by Alexvrb »

mattthemodder wrote:Yeah but im saying a good normal cap shouldn't really leak, if you can read the rating you could buy a replacement one and solder it in
That's fine, but sh!t happens and it obviously HAS. When he mentioned smelly goo on his PSU, the first thing that occured to me was that his capacitors leaked. Depending on his skill and/or dedication to cleaning and repairing such a mess, it might be better to replace the PSU and/or DC.