Dev Kits?

If you have any questions on programming, this is the place to ask them, whether you're a newbie or an experienced programmer. Discussion on programming in general is also welcome. We will help you with programming homework, but we will not do your work for you! Any porting requests must be made in Developmental Ideas.
runkthepunk
DCEmu Junior
DCEmu Junior
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Dev Kits?

Post by runkthepunk »

Just a question for you clever guys :D if you had a Dreamcast Development kit would be of any use or would it just be a redundant piece of hardware cause it seems that everyone develops games and stuff anyway (i presume not everyone has access to these kits, just a good PCs and lots of knowledge) so it makes me think you wouldn't need a Dev kit at all i just wondered anyway cheers :)
OneThirty8
Damn Dirty Ape
Damn Dirty Ape

Post by OneThirty8 »

By 'Dreamcast Development Kit', I assume you mean an official Katana or WinCE devkit? Those aren't used too much. The majority of DCDevvers use KallistiOS. Before KOS there was libdream, and the DreamSNES guys use their own thing called libronin. So, we don't really need the kits the officially licensed games were made with, because some nice and talented coders have made a devkit we can use legally and for free.
Strapping Scherzo
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by Strapping Scherzo »

I think he means the official Development Dreamcast Box; the one that looks more like a mini-tower PC. Here's a link to a page with a nice description and mouth watering pics:
http://www.dreamcasthistory.com/hkt01.html
I think you would have a definitely advantage. Look at the back of that thing! You can hook up so much junk. If you ever get the opportunity to buy one, money is no object. Get it! They are damn rare though.
Quzar
Dream Coder
Dream Coder

Post by Quzar »

i know someone selling one for 1200$ and has had it up for like.. 2 years. i emailed him about lowering the price and he said no =(
"When you post fewer lines of text than your signature, consider not posting at all." - A Wise Man
DaMadFiddler
Team Screamcast
Team Screamcast

Post by DaMadFiddler »

The biggest advantage seems to be access to a GD-R...but then, who has blank GDROM discs? ;-)
Quzar
Dream Coder
Dream Coder

Post by Quzar »

supposedly you could use blank CD-Rs because GD-Rs were simply high quality CD-Rs. The burning process wasnt kept proprietary, ever heard of the yamaha DD discs? In a few models of Yamaha burners, you can select a Double Data mode and burn around 1.2gb onto the disc (sound familiar) you could then only use the disc in the Yamaha burner, which is good for backup and such. Oh yea, Plextor also made a bunch of drives that could do this, but im not sure if it uses the same format or not, although it allows for the burning of almost the same size. Im not saying that these will be the same as GDs but...you know... think about it... i think that official GD-Rs just have a few tags on it that identify it as a GD-R and with a hack of the firmware to read CD-Rs. Well...at least i would do this... if i spent hundreds of $ on a GD burner.
"When you post fewer lines of text than your signature, consider not posting at all." - A Wise Man
koncool
DCEmu Junior
DCEmu Junior

Post by koncool »

I have a Yamaha 400t burner, flashed with SCSICOM.BIN. I have a Katana tower. A friend patched the firmware and it accepts CD-Rs. I burn GD-Rs using CD-R media. Lost the patched SCSICOM.BIN file though :(

Nothing more, nothing less. The only thing I know is that he used a disassembler for Z80, I think that it's what the CDR400t has.
Quzar
Dream Coder
Dream Coder

Post by Quzar »

i figured that could be done. you could use some program to dump the firmware, but i dont think there is enough demand.