Mini Disc

Discuss modifications you have done or plan to do to your Dreamcast or any other hardware, or discuss devices you want to build. If your console does not work or is acting up, ask about fixing it in here.
runkthepunk
DCEmu Junior
DCEmu Junior
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Mini Disc

Post by runkthepunk »

hello all :D i think i mentioned this kind of thing some time ago but could not find anything in the search anyway.

I think i was informed that the laser unit in the DC is just a standard issue laser like out of a CD player it is simply the mother board and all the gubbins underneath (sorry not a tech guy) which makes it read GD Roms if this is the case could you swap the large bulky laser unit for a mini disc laser and put the games on to a mini disc? or is the data transfer rate different or something? :?
i know its a bit stupid but it was just an idea :)
Matt
Soul Sold for DCEmu
Soul Sold for DCEmu

Post by Matt »

Not unless you understand those different parts in there, so it isnt completely imposssible
Unph@zed
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by Unph@zed »

The basic laser is probably the same, but it's probably also rated higher than a cdrom laser. Remember, the more holes in a disc, the higher the frequency must be on a laser. That's why PS2 dvd-roms stop reading DVD-based games after awhile, and only read CD-Rom based games... the laser loses it's umph.

As for mini discs, technically backups/homebrew could probably but on a regular CDR/mini... I remember seeing a gameshark-type of disc for the DC that was a mini...

As for real mini disc technology (like Sony's), I'd seriously doubt it... you'd have to have a much faster laser...
az_bont
Administrator
Administrator

Post by az_bont »

I always thought that PS2's stopped being able to read CD games rather than DVD ones.
Sick of sub-par Dreamcast web browsers that fail to impress? Visit Psilocybin Dreams!
Agracuta
DCEmu Freak
DCEmu Freak

Post by Agracuta »

az_bont wrote:I always thought that PS2's stopped being able to read CD games rather than DVD ones.
ditto.
ADMIT IT!!
beerbaron
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by beerbaron »

I don't see any reason why you couldn't burn to a mini-cdr (if those are what you're talking about) and just use the regular DC laser. There would definately be size contraints. Also keep in mind that the data is read fastest on the outer rim of the disc so there isn't going to be a real speed advantage using mini-cdrs.
ETR
Dumb

Post by ETR »

If you mean MD, No. Not a chance. MDs are actually pretty small capacity, and just use really well done audio encoding... ATRAC3....
Smiley wrote:I was bored and like to hear myself talk, that's all....
Lartrak
DCEmu Respected
DCEmu Respected

Post by Lartrak »

az_bont wrote:I always thought that PS2's stopped being able to read CD games rather than DVD ones.
Both, but blue disc games not reading is much more common.
How to be a Conservative:
You have to believe everything that has ever gone wrong in the history of your country was due to Liberals.
Unph@zed
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by Unph@zed »

I think that the DVD games not running is much more common. Happened to both my g/f's PS2, and my best friend's. That's why the whole "Tweak the laser to output a little more power" repair is so common. That's what's prevented me from buying a PS2... unless I can find it written somewhere from Sony that they'll fix it for free...

BTW, the same thing happened to my Apex dvd player. It plays my VCDs, but not DVDs... it's a pain in the arse. I'm thinkin about emailing them b4 I crack it open and try cleaning/tweaking w/ it....

If I can't fix it... I'm out $40... not nearly as bad as $180 or whatever...
"Some day I'll figure out something to go here"

http://eyeofinsanity.doesntexist.com
ETR
Dumb

Post by ETR »

Lartrak wrote:
Both, but blue disc games not reading is much more common.
Put two strips of tape on the blue discs, worked for us.
Nintenter
Mental DCEmu
Mental DCEmu

Post by Nintenter »

using Mini CDRs is just like using any regular sized disc. I used to use them to make short mixes or to hold data on them. They will work on any normal laser, but ive heard that it puts a little more strain on the laser because of the laser having to go more towards the middle to read the smaller disc, kinda like why using dummy files on homebrew discs puts the data on the outer side of the disc so it doesnt strain the laser.