PSO Homebrewed Server?

This forum is for discussion pertaining to homebrew and indie software for the Dreamcast, such as homebrew games, emulators/interpreters, and other homebrew software/applications. Porting requests and developmental ideas are not to be made here; you can make those here. If you need any help burning discs for homebrew software, this is the place to ask as well.

Would ya want to use a fan-made PSO server?

Total votes: 0
WeAreVigilant
DCEmu Freak
DCEmu Freak
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by WeAreVigilant »

louis they accomplish the same thing
look at blizzard and bnetd
or ultima online and uox.
MrBob
DCEmu Fast Newbie
DCEmu Fast Newbie

Post by MrBob »

Hey. Nice to see this project on its feet.
Has anyone else gotten the Dc-PP server to work. mine doesn't wanna connect. I can't tell if the modem is dialing or not.
Also, can anyone set up a proxy server and Snort so we won't have to bother with the DC-PP server.

Chill,
MrBob
dkoikadabra
DCEmu Fast Newbie
DCEmu Fast Newbie

Psudeo Update

Post by dkoikadabra »

Couldn't get to the computer that hosts the FTP server today, so anyone who wants to upload logs, just wait one more day! I haven't forgotten or ditched the 'project' or anything! =-)
This week I'm gonna work on getting the Proxy up and logging it correctly. I'm going to attempt to limit the Proxy's logs just enough so it only logs PSO sessions (if it's possible), which, if done correctly, will make whoever will look at the logs have an easier time at it. Hopefully, by next weekend, it'll be up and people who can't get the DC-PC server working won't have to be forced to try and figure out the glitches of it. If I can, I'll try to make it so it doesn't log SSL transmissions (again, if it's possible), if that's a big deal to anyone.
Oh yeah, I'm going to try getting into the habit of updating my site regularly so I don't keep using this message thread as my 'News' section. =-)
Who reads that dumb text at the bottom of a post? Oh, I guess you do.
dkoikadabra
DCEmu Fast Newbie
DCEmu Fast Newbie

FTP Server Back Up

Post by dkoikadabra »

Just dropped in to say the FTP server should be working now. The link is on the webpage mentioned earlier ( http://get-me.to/PSOproject ). Upload away!
FLEABttn
DCEmu Newbie
DCEmu Newbie

Post by FLEABttn »

First off, that link doesn't work.

Second, I looked into PSOv2 a little with CommView. If first checks the server auth01.dricas.com, and then it goes on to pso01.dricas.ne.jp. (note that I have the Japanese PSOv2).

So PSOv2 will be more difficult because it checks to see if your hunters licence is paid for before it allows you in to the PSO server. I don't see how you'd be able to fake something like that.
dkoikadabra
DCEmu Fast Newbie
DCEmu Fast Newbie

Gargle Goop (or whatever explietive you want to insert)

Post by dkoikadabra »

Yeah, the website doesn't display the main frame if the resolution on the client's monitor is less than 1024x1028. Unfortunatly, I can't fix it 'till the internet connection at home comes back up, so I'm just gonna post the links to the FTP server here.
First one is ftp://dkoikadabra.dns2go.com . The other one is ftp://dkoikadabra.no-ip.org . Both link to the same FTP server (damn SBC and their lack of static IPs in a basic package! =-)). I just verified the links for both on the computer I'm on currently and a comp at a friend's house.
Without a log I can look at ATM, I'd guess that the Hunter's Licence is verified by the DC sending something like "Here's the Serial #/Registration Key. Is it activated?" to the host. The host probably checks another server to see if the Serial #/Reg Key has a paid Hunter's Licence on it. If it does, it sends back something like "Yep. Jump on in." or "No, you don't have a Hunter's Licence. Here's the error message." if there isn't one. The Homebrew server could simply just let everyone in, as if they passed the above verification process.
Yep, the above theory was not at all technical, but it carries the point across so well. =-) I'll try and look at my logs tomorrow to see if I'm even partially correct.
See ya'll.
dkoikadabra
DCEmu Fast Newbie
DCEmu Fast Newbie

Forgot something

Post by dkoikadabra »

The login for the server is: User- anybody Password- anybody . Kind of important in order to log in, if ya ask me. =-) BTW, right now only uploads are allowed (no downloads) so no joe surfin' the web can just login and download all the logs, potentially causing some security issues with ppl's Serial #/Reg keys.
FLEABttn
DCEmu Newbie
DCEmu Newbie

Post by FLEABttn »

Well, I can't post logs for a while. I'm grounded, and techinically, I shouldn't even be replying to this.

Also, it's probably true that the US PSOv2 looks at your serial number to see if you paid for your hunters licence, but it works a bit different with the Japanese version.

In the Japanese version, you have to have a "Dricas" account before you even can buy an HL. At the webpage to buy the HL, you put in your credit card info and your dricas account info. When you log into the server, the server checks the ISP information that gets stored in the PlanetWeb browser part (I never understood why Sega made it so most Japanese games stored ISP info in a place different from most America games that store ISP info. In fact PSOv2 is odd in the sense that your ISP info gets stored in the Japanese part, and your Dricas info gets stored in the American part). This ISP info contains your dricas account name and password, and if your dricas account passes, then you can go on.

I don't know too much more about how PSOv2 authorization works, so, fo all I know, it may check your serial/reg# also.

When I get ungrounded, I'll buy a new HL and start loggin stuff for ya.
WeAreVigilant
DCEmu Freak
DCEmu Freak

Post by WeAreVigilant »

this project is illegal under the DMCA and this topic should be closed.
kRYPT_
DCFactory Creator
DCFactory Creator

Post by kRYPT_ »

No it's not. This falls under the "interoperable programs" cause of the DMCA, as we fear the original is going to die.

So until Sega, who can't seem to afford to keep the game servers running, comes in and tells us to stop, I'd encourage you guys to get those packets dumped ;)

I may be able to assist in this project, but I haven't yet made the dc <=>
WeAreVigilant
DCEmu Freak
DCEmu Freak

Post by WeAreVigilant »

krypt you havent heard have you... bnetd got sued by blizzard. hence this is in violation of the dmca and this topic should be closed
WeAreVigilant
DCEmu Freak
DCEmu Freak

Post by WeAreVigilant »

krypt you havent heard have you... bnetd got sued by blizzard. hence this is in violation of the dmca and this topic should be closed
Sanchez
DCEmu Ex-Admin
DCEmu Ex-Admin

Post by Sanchez »

.... Be quiet. First, Blizzard suing someone on the grounds of the DMCA does *NOT* equate said group being GUILTY of violating the DMCA. You know, even with the media industry having strange laws passed, you are still innocent until proven guilty. Not to mention, likely half the people involved in this thread are not even citizens of the US... as such the DMCA does not apply.

As a side note, this discussion has yet to actually provide any possible DMCA related information aside from the name of a DNS server or two.

If this moves into a discussion of stealing service from Sega, it will be closed. If it moves into any level of discussion of warez, it will be closed. If Sega requests it to stop, it will be closed. If it becomes a flame war, it will be closed.

This is actually one of the few long running topics that hasn't turned to flaming, warez, or otherwise. Let it be.
WeAreVigilant
DCEmu Freak
DCEmu Freak

Post by WeAreVigilant »

Sanchez "innocent until proven guilty" is for criminal trials and the DMCA does apply to people outside the us, if they ever come to the US they can be arrested (its happened with a guy from russia)
Sanchez
DCEmu Ex-Admin
DCEmu Ex-Admin

Post by Sanchez »

I'll take this argument to PM, but regardless, unless one of the above problems occurs, the topic stays.
Lyris
Respected Artist
Respected Artist

Post by Lyris »

So PSOv2 will be more difficult because it checks to see if your hunters licence is paid for before it allows you in to the PSO server. I don't see how you'd be able to fake something like that.
The PAL Phantasy Star Online Version2 (recently released) is free to play online.
kRYPT_
DCFactory Creator
DCFactory Creator

Post by kRYPT_ »

Yes, I have heard, and the EFF has taken the case and is using the above mentioned clause in it's DEFENCE.

Just because a freeware project is being sued by a big, scared, company does not make them automatically guilty...
WeAreVigilant wrote:krypt you havent heard have you... bnetd got sued by blizzard. hence this is in violation of the dmca and this topic should be closed
WeAreVigilant
DCEmu Freak
DCEmu Freak

Post by WeAreVigilant »

yes it does, vivendi has more money to throw around than the EFF hence, vivendi corp wins.
hornpipe2
DCEmu Newbie
DCEmu Newbie

Post by hornpipe2 »

What are you so scared about? You're not beta testing, you're not programming this thing, and you're not hosting the topic or webpage. Let these people get sued if you think they will. Nobody put YOU in charge of handling other people's legal issues.

Meanwhile...
Notice that PSO seems very unsecure. If you get the DC-PC server running, the game (I believe) actually opens ports straight to other's games and sends something like 17 packets back and forth... or summat like that. The server is basically there for (I would assume) finding games, and handling any map code, including monster spawns, random items, boxes, etc.
Even so, note that this will be a HELL of a lot of work. You're going to have to figure out what every packet code does, and then learn what the server does in response. The logs will help, definitely, and I will be very pleased if you succeed... but if you don't, don't take it too hard... :)

-Greg
LoUiS_ThA_KiLLa
DCEmu Freak
DCEmu Freak

Post by LoUiS_ThA_KiLLa »

making a pso server would be too hard. it would be best to make your own rpg from scratch, or port one then make a server for that. how do u like those apples?
-----> LoUiS ThA KiLLa
--------> KiCKiNG iT WHiLE YOU JUST KEEP iT SiMPLE
-------------> i LOVE THiS BOARD LiKE MY MOTHER & MOTA
-------------------> HOW DO YOU LiKE THOSE APPLES?