Giana Sisters, why ain't anyone voting!?!?

This forum is for discussion pertaining to homebrew and indie software for the Dreamcast, such as homebrew games, emulators/interpreters, and other homebrew software/applications. Porting requests and developmental ideas are not to be made here; you can make those here. If you need any help burning discs for homebrew software, this is the place to ask as well.
impetus
Team Screamcast
Team Screamcast
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by impetus »

I'm not familiar with it. Why was that?
az_bont
Administrator
Administrator

Post by az_bont »

It's a complete rip-off of Super Mario Brothers, at least in Ninty's eyes, and they took legal action against the people behind the first game. It was definately banned in the UK, but I think Germany (where it originated?) it was and still is on sale.
Sick of sub-par Dreamcast web browsers that fail to impress? Visit Psilocybin Dreams!
impetus
Team Screamcast
Team Screamcast

Post by impetus »

i had wondered if that was why. :) Thanks
Sweater Fish
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu

Post by Sweater Fish »

az_bont wrote:I'm surprised there's not been any talk of legal action, considering the fact that the original was banned in so many countries.
Yeah, but back then the C=64 was in direct competition with the NES and Super Mario Bros. and Great Giana Sisters were cutting edge games. Nowadays, those are "nostalgia" games in Nintendo's eyes and none of the systems it's coming out for (including the GP32) are in real competition with any of Nintendo's systems anyway. And directly to the point, it's freeware. The original was commercial, which I'm sure was the real sticking point.

...word is bondage...
Orange_Ribbon
DCEmu's Cheerleader

Post by Orange_Ribbon »

27 to 26 now :-) (whooo lucky 27!)

Those screen shots look awsome!
MetaFox
Adventure Gamer
Adventure Gamer

Post by MetaFox »

This game isn't commercial - and The Great Giana Sisters was.

Although Nintendo goes after homebrew clones - such as the Donkey Kong games for the PocketPC, I really can't see them going after this one.

Besides, nowadays, they won't have any ground in many places. The market's changed since the 80's. Clones now flood the market like wildfire - if a game has enough subtle differences from the game that it's copying, which Giana's Return seems to have - then it's pretty much untouchable.
Ian Micheal
Soul Sold for DCEmu
Soul Sold for DCEmu

Post by Ian Micheal »

Yeah it is a complete ripp-off even the stages are the same. Better music but the controls are not as good fire button should of been jump. Other then that it's just like Super mario bro's and there was a hack of it that replaced all the sprites with the ones from the nintendo game even the music you would swear it's the same game then.

I dont think there will be to much of a problem with a freeware version with change's.

But the real game is still illegal, and nintendo by winning the court case any one hosting the Real c64 game will have to remove it they could face legal action it ripps off a trade make nintendo game that being the case the lengh of time does not matter. It was retail and being old does not change the fact your not allowed to play it as it should not exist.

Looking forward to the port i thought it was coming any way since it was reportedly coming to dreamcast first a long time back.
Dreamcast forever!!!
MetaFox
Adventure Gamer
Adventure Gamer

Post by MetaFox »

Ian Micheal wrote:Yeah it is a complete ripp-off even the stages are the same.
Indeed, I've played the original. It's definately an almost straight clone of "Super Mario Bros."

The sequel seems to have enough differences to set it apart from "Super Mario Bros", and "The Great Giana Sisters". It keeps it's Mario-clone roots, but adds to it, and that's what sets it apart.
Ian Micheal wrote:Looking forward to the port i thought it was coming any way since it was reportedly coming to dreamcast first a long time back.
Yeah, it's coming for Dreamcast, GP32, and PC no matter what the results of the poll. The poll is only there to determine which version will be released first.

I for one, am looking forward to seeing what the GP32-DC link capabilities of the games have to offer. :mrgreen:
Last edited by MetaFox on Wed Feb 18, 2004 4:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Wing6
DCEmu Junior
DCEmu Junior

Post by Wing6 »

Hmmm a tie!!!!! I gonna vote right now! I need a platformer for the DC!!!
"We will lead a revolution!- John Cho"
az_bont
Administrator
Administrator

Post by az_bont »

So, is this gonna cost money?
Sick of sub-par Dreamcast web browsers that fail to impress? Visit Psilocybin Dreams!
MetaFox
Adventure Gamer
Adventure Gamer

Post by MetaFox »

az_bont wrote:So, is this gonna cost money?
This game is 100% FREEWARE, no money in any form should be charged for it. Any commercial use is strictly prohibited without written permission from Christian Nowak (CHN) and/or Shahzad Sahaib (Kojote). Under commercial use we mean things like: Putting the game on a magazines CD, selling the game on any kind of media, offering the game on pages where you have to install a dialer to get it, etc. Any manipulation and/or patching of the game is forbidden, only spread official versions avaliable on http://www.gianas-return.de
az_bont
Administrator
Administrator

Post by az_bont »

I'm liking it even more :P. Shame really, this would have been the first homebrew game that I would have gladly bought a pressed version of - I loved playing it on the Amiga all those years ago.

I hope there are some more homebrew releases in the coming months/years that are more suited to my tastes :).
Prophet][
DCEmu Mega Fan
DCEmu Mega Fan

Post by Prophet][ »

I tied it again, This one is going into overtime
Ian Micheal
Soul Sold for DCEmu
Soul Sold for DCEmu

Post by Ian Micheal »

Just broke the tie :lol:
Dreamcast forever!!!
aisupikku
Mental DCEmu
Mental DCEmu

Post by aisupikku »

az_bont wrote:I'm surprised there's not been any talk of legal action, considering the fact that the original was banned in so many countries.
:?: ::searches Web::

::comes back +knowledge:: Whoa! It was banned for being a sorta-clone of Super M?rio Bros.? So that's why it looks so similar... I have to admit that while I'm still thinking that it should be on GP32 first, I'm pretty excited for when it comes to DC -- Good old platform gaming goodness! :biggrin:

(Edit note: again, I completely missed the second page of this thread until today, which explains my redundancy... It was all spelled out on this second page! :P )
Last edited by aisupikku on Sun Feb 22, 2004 1:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
« ˆˆ -ˆ-ˆ ˆ » [ Let's help! Trizeal DC ]
Midgey34
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by Midgey34 »

Ah! DC is down by 20 votes what's happening! Quickly DCEmu army attack. :twisted:
[/sarcasm]

No seriously though, DC is way behind now. We seriously might loose this thing.
Remember, the quickest way to a girl's bed is through her parents. Have sex with them and you're in.
az_bont
Administrator
Administrator

Post by az_bont »

Um, by any chance is "wraggk" our wraggster? If so, he's been sussed out...

http://www.pdroms.de/phpbb/viewtopic.ph ... &start=105
molotovwars
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu

Post by molotovwars »

we are getting spanked, I voted but its all I can do.
MetaFox
Adventure Gamer
Adventure Gamer

Post by MetaFox »

Kojote wrote:TOPIC/ VOTING CLOSED!

Results for NOW:
GP32 100 votes
Dreamcast 78 votes
PC-Windows 1 vote

Due to the high amount of votes and non-trackable cheaters we are discussing which version to be released first, internal. More news in tomorrows WIP news.
I'm sure there was cheating on both parts - but for the GP32 to get 100 legitimate votes it would take about it's entire userbase. ;)
impetus
Team Screamcast
Team Screamcast

Post by impetus »

lol, did you see my post in that thread regarding their numbers?
Last edited by impetus on Mon Feb 23, 2004 10:47 am, edited 1 time in total.