PS2 and PSone Emulation

General purpose discussion about gaming and emulation.
az_bont
Administrator
Administrator
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by az_bont »

I came across a VideoCD player and posted about it on Consolevision over a year ago, but it didn't seem to do anything, for the PSone.

By PSX, do you mean PSone or that new thing released in Japan? At the moment, there exists no software VCD players for the PSone and no VCD players at all for the PS2.
Sick of sub-par Dreamcast web browsers that fail to impress? Visit Psilocybin Dreams!
Warmachine
DCEmu Veteran
DCEmu Veteran

Post by Warmachine »

When is say psx I mean playstation (big and gray) since that is what they are called. Also that vcd player you talking about is 5fps and you need to do it differently for the psone. THere might be soon a vcd player for any sony system (psx,psone, and ps2) :wink:
:headbang: Dreamcast :headbang:
az_bont
Administrator
Administrator

Post by az_bont »

No, this was supposed to be an actual VCD player, not an STR player. And that one was 15FPS :P.

I can't see there being a VCD player for all Sony systems. At least not one that works on an un-modded PS2.
Sick of sub-par Dreamcast web browsers that fail to impress? Visit Psilocybin Dreams!
RayQuaza
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by RayQuaza »

They are really called ps1 not psx, The psx is that new system that came out in japan some time ago. People calling the ps1 psx just got that nonsense from reading game mags.
I am the sleeping dragon god of the skies.
I am the only true master of the pokemon.
I AM Lord WARQUAZA!
Warmachine
DCEmu Veteran
DCEmu Veteran

Post by Warmachine »

Oh well! As long as I dont say PS2, also isnt there a .str player for DC?
az_bont
Administrator
Administrator

Post by az_bont »

No. A PSS player, which is the PS2's video format.
Warmachine
DCEmu Veteran
DCEmu Veteran

Post by Warmachine »

Well if they made a .str for the psx, since the ps2 plays psx games shouldnt it be able to play it as well?
az_bont
Administrator
Administrator

Post by az_bont »

Warmachine wrote:Well if they made a .str for the psx, since the ps2 plays psx games shouldnt it be able to play it as well?
Yes, it should. You're limited to something like 37 minutes, though. There is a much better player than the popular one by ADR out there as well, but I've yet to test it.
Sir Slash

Post by Sir Slash »

yeah i call it PSX... i mean really stores like target use PSX on the display tags ....

rather or not Sony ended up not calling it PSX.... its been known as that for years

the PS2 PSX.... is pointless
WELCO
ME
TOT
HE
NEX
T
LEVEL

peer
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by peer »

I have a ms-dash board hats been hacked and all on an iso, that boots directly into evox. if you have a way of gettign the replacement c:\ on there i'll send you it
Quzar
Dream Coder
Dream Coder

Post by Quzar »

You're limited to something like 37 minutes, though.
And here i though PS cutscenes were stopped only by the limits of what insanity can create. Knowing that i will never see a cutscene pass 37minutes warms my heart... lol

supid ps with its uber-long cutscenes
"When you post fewer lines of text than your signature, consider not posting at all." - A Wise Man
az_bont
Administrator
Administrator

Post by az_bont »

Lots of games featured longer cutscenes - for some insane reason the STR file format offered terrible compression. Worse, in fact, than the Mega CD by Sega, which was capable of playing full-screen MPEG video, which compressed far better.

Games such as the ones by Squaresoft featured much longer cutscenes than would be possible if they were to stick to Sony's STR format. It's a shame that there has been no released tools to encode videos in these superior formats - having to split movies over 4 or more discs isn't particularly pleasant :|.
Quzar
Dream Coder
Dream Coder

Post by Quzar »

cutscenes over 30minutes are just a movie, plain and simple, there is no WAY a game would use that well other than as MAYBE a final cutscene in a very long rpg.
"When you post fewer lines of text than your signature, consider not posting at all." - A Wise Man
cheatachu72
DCEmu Freak
DCEmu Freak

Post by cheatachu72 »

A slide-card is a small tool that can be made out of an old credit card that allows you to perform the "swap trick".

When combined with a boot disc, either the Action Replay V2 or earlier or the Swap Magic, you can boot CD-Rs and DVD-Rs with little fuss (a lot less if you use SM).

If you have access to a PS2 that can boot CD-Rs, be it modchipped or it's owner in posession of boot discs, then it is possible to place a file on the memory card that triggers a program whenever a chosen PSone game is inserted. This small program does the same job as a boot disc, but doesn't require you to spend any money, provided you have a way of getting it on there in the first place.
I have a friend with a chipped ps2, if i were to obtain these files would i be able to boot homebrew and the media players any possible way with out getting a ps1 game?
Everybody to the limit
az_bont
Administrator
Administrator

Post by az_bont »

cheatachu72 wrote:
A slide-card is a small tool that can be made out of an old credit card that allows you to perform the "swap trick".

When combined with a boot disc, either the Action Replay V2 or earlier or the Swap Magic, you can boot CD-Rs and DVD-Rs with little fuss (a lot less if you use SM).

If you have access to a PS2 that can boot CD-Rs, be it modchipped or it's owner in posession of boot discs, then it is possible to place a file on the memory card that triggers a program whenever a chosen PSone game is inserted. This small program does the same job as a boot disc, but doesn't require you to spend any money, provided you have a way of getting it on there in the first place.
I have a friend with a chipped ps2, if i were to obtain these files would i be able to boot homebrew and the media players any possible way with out getting a ps1 game?
For PSone stuff you'll need an Action Replay or Gameshark for PSone.
cheatachu72
DCEmu Freak
DCEmu Freak

Post by cheatachu72 »

i have a ps2, can i do it without action replay, or gameshark? just the memory card and nothing else (besides my friends chipped ps2)
Everybody to the limit
az_bont
Administrator
Administrator

Post by az_bont »

cheatachu72 wrote:i have a ps2, can i do it without action replay, or gameshark? just the memory card and nothing else (besides my friends chipped ps2)
With that setup you'll be able to install the eploit and boot all PS2 stuff, be it on CD-R or DVD-R. To play PSone stuff, you absolutely require a PSone boot disc that supports disc-swapping. Either something from Datel's line of products (GS/AR) or the Breaker Pro.
devilbane
DCEmu Freak
DCEmu Freak

Post by devilbane »

the emulation on PSX/PS1 is limited in usefulness, HOWEVER...

go to gamestop or EB, pick up a PS1 used.
find a used pelican screen for CHEAP.
get a USED PS1 BATTERY from gamestop ($9.99! Finding them is hard...)
NOW you have a mobile PS1 with battery for under $100

next open the PS1 and find the spring loaded door detector. Jam it down (I used a piece of plastic from a borken CD case, cut with an X-acto knife to fit the tiny hole) so the open button opens/closes the door but it no longer detects it opening. Now boot the PS1 with any codebreaker... start with no codes... and drop the NES Emulator into it...

YOu have a portable NES player, battery powered, for under $100...

PLUS it plays PSX games too.

or

get the GBA flash rom for $125 and play NES games in your pocket... I had a spare PS1 and screen I got cheap when I worked at a game store, lol... but better to get SOME use from it than let it sit in the closet with the PS1 and PSX I have in original boxes...
Dreamcast... pronounced dead more times than I have been...

Its Dreamcast! HOORAY DREAMCAST!
DJ Samba D
DCEmu Veteran
DCEmu Veteran

Post by DJ Samba D »

RayQuaza wrote:They are really called ps1 not psx, The psx is that new system that came out in japan some time ago. People calling the ps1 psx just got that nonsense from reading game mags.
Um... let me go over this. The PSX (what you refer to as the PS1) is called such, because when Sony announced the original PlayStation, they had already done a prototype SNES CD-ROM drive which they called the PlayStation, so they called their original PlayStation, the PlayStation X (PSX). It's only recently that that has caused confusion.
Jeeba Jabba, On Pinoy, wrote:First, Learn how to speak english and spell. Second, Yes you have the right of Freedom of Speech, So do I. I can get pissed at you're ignorant self for saying dumber things than Miko or Great One... Now thats low
Skynet
DCEmu T-800
DCEmu T-800

Post by Skynet »

I've always known it as PSX and that's what stores and such always referred to them as. Either PlayStation or PSX. Then the PS1 came out and now it is always referred to PS1.

This debate has annoyed me because EVERYWHERE said the grey one was called PSX for short, but the new PSX is PSX and the PS1 is PS1. Is damn confusing!
Live gamertag: SKYNET211

Steam gamertag: SkynetT800