All my games are choppy with DreamSnes

Anything DreamSNES-related can be asked in this forum, such as general questions about the emulator, how to burn it, etc.
poulinski
DCEmu Newbie
DCEmu Newbie
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

All my games are choppy with DreamSnes

Post by poulinski »

I just compiled a disk with about 40 roms and all of them work, but they are either choppy or have grafx glitches. :evil:

I thought that the mario games worked at 100 % but mine are choppy. Are there some settings that need to be adjusted to get the games to run smoothly? :lol:

Please help
atf487
DCEmu's Ranter
DCEmu's Ranter

Post by atf487 »

Is the sound off or on mono? Try that. It WILL speed it up. trust me.
Tails Prower
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu

Post by Tails Prower »

Arrrr the game be choppy lad.
404NotFound wrote: hey mrinsulto or whatever your name is, for the last time
A DREAMCAST IS NOT A PLAYSTATION2!!!
JuddWack
DCEmu Mega Poster
DCEmu Mega Poster

Post by JuddWack »

Sorry to dissapoint you but when ppl are telling you the games are 100%, they dont know what they are talkin about. A few games may run at 100% speed, but I dont think any game has 100% frames/sec
ota ota
DCEmu Newbie
DCEmu Newbie

Post by ota ota »

dreamsnes is choppy for the moment.....wait until 2.0 or something
Captain Tokyo
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu

Post by Captain Tokyo »

On the site it says DreamSNES is 98% speed with full sound support. Is that wrong?
XantiaX
Mental DCEmu
Mental DCEmu

Post by XantiaX »

its not wrong at all, most of the games i run are running at 105% but a lot of them are still below the 90% mark which in some cases makes them unplayable. Personally ive only noticed speed increas in a few games since the last update, mainly smash tv, mario world etc but the choppyness is down to the frame skip they implemented. The only problem with frame skip is that it makes metroid hard to play. whereas b4 it was just slow now its choppy too boot which means u get hacked a lot :S
..::XantiaX::.. aka Chim-Chim Cootiesniffer
mirrorsaw_2000
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by mirrorsaw_2000 »

You have to be realistic...games would be running a LOT slower with no frameskip...would you rather play mario world with frameskip at 100% speed, or no frameskip at 60% speed?
mc
DreamSNES Creator
DreamSNES Creator

Post by mc »

mirrorsaw_2000 wrote:You have to be realistic...games would be running a LOT slower with no frameskip...
Duh... That's the whole point of having frameskip.
mirrorsaw_2000 wrote:would you rather play mario world with frameskip at 100% speed, or no frameskip at 60% speed?
The former, because it more closely resembles how the game plays on a SNES.
Flying at a high speed
Having the courage
Getting over crisis
I rescue the people
mirrorsaw_2000
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by mirrorsaw_2000 »

mc wrote:
mirrorsaw_2000 wrote:You have to be realistic...games would be running a LOT slower with no frameskip...
Duh... That's the whole point of having frameskip.
mirrorsaw_2000 wrote:would you rather play mario world with frameskip at 100% speed, or no frameskip at 60% speed?
The former, because it more closely resembles how the game plays on a SNES.
I think you misunderstood me...I'm not complaining. :)

It just seems a lot of people want to have their cake and eat it too. They complain about frameskipping, but if there was no frameskip they'd be bitching about the speed. ;)

/me wonders out loud if there will be a St Patrick's Day release.
mc
DreamSNES Creator
DreamSNES Creator

Post by mc »

Sorry, too early in the morning...

I wouldn't mind having the cake and eating it myself.
I'd also like to have fourtyseven meeellion dollars, and... huge pectoral muscles!

:-)
Flying at a high speed
Having the courage
Getting over crisis
I rescue the people
404NotFound
DCEmu Ex-Mod
DCEmu Ex-Mod

Post by 404NotFound »

mc wrote:
and... huge pectoral muscles!
Hearing that from someone with a powerpuff avatar is just distrubing.
Last edited by 404NotFound on Sat Mar 09, 2002 10:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
The Jester
DCEmu Freak
DCEmu Freak

funny

Post by The Jester »

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Stupidity should be painful... Now if there were only a way that I could tell n00b13z how to make selfboot emulator images... Oh yeah!

ATTENTION ALL NEWBIES! DOWNLOAD DCFactory OR D13!!
mc
DreamSNES Creator
DreamSNES Creator

Post by mc »

404NotFound wrote: Hearing that from someone with a powerpuff avatar is just distrubing.
What, powerpuffs are not allowed to quote Ren & Stimpy?
Flying at a high speed
Having the courage
Getting over crisis
I rescue the people
404NotFound
DCEmu Ex-Mod
DCEmu Ex-Mod

Post by 404NotFound »

Bah.. didn't recognize the Ren and Stimpy reference until i noticed the "meeelion"
JuddWack
DCEmu Mega Poster
DCEmu Mega Poster

Are you crazy?

Post by JuddWack »

XantiaX wrote:most of the games i run are running at 105% but a lot of them are still below the 90% mark:S
Well it is impossable to play a game at 105% You do realize 100% means 100% speed 100% frames 100% sound, and no game has this. it may actually be 95% speed, but what about the 50% frame rate... that is what makes the games choppy
infinite-nothing
Mental DCEmu
Mental DCEmu

Post by infinite-nothing »

technically u can play agmae at 105% speed in some emus for pc if u hadf frame skip on the game would run too fast so there u turtle muffin (dont ask im crazy)
"your best......your best, losers always whine about there best. Winners go home and f**k the prom queen"-Sean Connery"-
mirrorsaw_2000
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Re: Are you crazy?

Post by mirrorsaw_2000 »

JuddWack wrote:Well it is impossable to play a game at 105% You do realize 100% means 100% speed 100% frames 100% sound, and no game has this. it may actually be 95% speed, but what about the 50% frame rate... that is what makes the games choppy
No, it's not impossible...a game that's running at 105% speed in DreamSNES would just be running 5% faster than the same game would be running on a real SNES. Now, whether it's actually running at 105% is a different story...it may be running slightly too fast, or the counter might be off. I don't know whether the team has implemented any kind of speed limiter or not, so it's impossible to say.

The whole framerate/speed/etc issue has been gone over a million times...if the speed counter says 100%, it's playing at the exact same speed as it would on a real SNES. Whether it's using frameskip/full sound or not is a separate issue.
Hrothgar
DCEmu Newbie
DCEmu Newbie

Speed / Sound

Post by Hrothgar »

Actually, it is somewhat deceptive to claim that it runs 98% speed with full sound, as it claims on the emulator's page. Complaining about the current speed is equally pointless; as it is much improved, as well as unequalled in comparison to other DC SNES emulators; however, everyone always trying to act as if it runs just like a SNES may be the source of why so many new people are always complaining about the speed. You are giving people the expectation that it runs at 100% speed and has full sound; this is not the case at all. And frameskip is not a separate issue. If it skips every other frame, it is running at 50%. Simple as that.
Aria X
DCEmu Newbie
DCEmu Newbie

You Know

Post by Aria X »

Why do you guys spend so much time debating minor things? Try working on benchmarks and stop worrying about real vs. ideal settings. Cuz' unless you guys are designing the program my friend, it don't make a whole lotta difference.
Time is an excuse to procrastinate