A idea as to how to get full speed emulation of Saturn, 32X

This forum is for discussion pertaining to homebrew and indie software for the Dreamcast, such as homebrew games, emulators/interpreters, and other homebrew software/applications. Porting requests and developmental ideas are not to be made here; you can make those here. If you need any help burning discs for homebrew software, this is the place to ask as well.
DLolos
DCEmu Fast Newbie
DCEmu Fast Newbie
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

A idea as to how to get full speed emulation of Saturn, 32X

Post by DLolos »

I came across a very interesting article about the SH4 CPU in the DC. The article is http://www.segatech.com/technical/cpu/index.html . A very interesting read. To get to the point go to the part where it says "16-bit Instructions". When reading it says that software made for SH-1, SH-2, and SH-3 can run on a SH-4. I think I remember that the CPUs in the Saturn and 32X are SH-2 CPUs. I think the clock speed is like 23 Mhz in 32X and 29 Mhz for the Saturn CPUs. If this is correct then the DC only needs to emulate the Genesis and 32X video to get a 32X emulator. The Saturn needs the sound chip emulated which is a 68000 chip just like the Genesis but with a faster clock speed. Also the video chips will need to be emulated for the Saturn emulator. If I'm right then full speed emulation of Saturn or 32X is possible on the DC. Does anyone think this can be done?
Boogerman
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by Boogerman »

That has been discussed so many times...

I was talking to an emulator coder a while ago and he said that you would still need to emulate an SH eviroment inside the SH... Otherwise, the DC could natively play Megadrive/Saturn games....
It only takes one tree, to build one thousand matches
It only takes one match, to BURN one thousand trees

GODDAMN That XBox sucks!!!!
ventress
DCEmu Freak
DCEmu Freak

Post by ventress »

If saturn emulation on DC ever appears it'll only run a few games as the best way to get good speed would be to disable the sound chip and the slave sh2 leaving you with the main sh2, vdp0,1 68000 and cd controller.

No mean feat and it'd be a heroic acheivement just to get the bios screen to display.

One day i will attempt to get the dreamcast to display the bios but this isn't gonna happen soon.
DLolos
DCEmu Fast Newbie
DCEmu Fast Newbie

Post by DLolos »

I know that the SH2 CPUs would still need to be emulated but if theres a way to get faster emulation using the compatibility with SH2 software on the SH4 then full speed emulation could be possible. If this topic had come up already so many times then I'm sorry I missed it.

This is the same idea I hope to see used with emulating the X-box on the PC. Yes yes I know this has come up so many times. :?