SNES emu in the works

This forum is for discussion pertaining to homebrew and indie software for the Dreamcast, such as homebrew games, emulators/interpreters, and other homebrew software/applications. Porting requests and developmental ideas are not to be made here; you can make those here. If you need any help burning discs for homebrew software, this is the place to ask as well.
Lavalord
Mental DCEmu
Mental DCEmu
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by Lavalord »

Think this might spark DreamSnes team to be more competative?
Warmachine
DCEmu Veteran
DCEmu Veteran

Post by Warmachine »

Lavalord wrote:Think this might spark DreamSnes team to be more competative?
Nah just cause to stop working on it because someone else making one.
:headbang: Dreamcast :headbang:
dr9553
DCEmu Newbie
DCEmu Newbie

Post by dr9553 »

AWSOME! I am sooo glad someone has decided to pick up the ball with a SNES emulator, I have been dreaming of this for a while.. well not exactly, but i am very excited! I wish i knew programming for the dreamcast cause i would help out in a heart beat! is tehre anywhere i can be pointed to start learning this stuff?
RayQuaza
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by RayQuaza »

It won't make them competative, It'll just give them one more reason to focus on whatever they are doing now.
I am the sleeping dragon god of the skies.
I am the only true master of the pokemon.
I AM Lord WARQUAZA!
cagmere
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by cagmere »

Yeah seriously, anyone must be really ignorant and foolish to think that they are still working on that emu. Personally, I never saw what was so great about it anyways. With this new emu arriving on the scene so quickly, and substantial progress already being made, it seemingly looks like we will eventually be graced with fullspeed emulation for two of the greatest consoles of all time (Genesis and Super NES) on THE greatest console of all time (*drum roll*.....Dreamcast!). I am very grateful and appreciate what these coders are doing, and while I cannot offer any support as far as coding goes, I am here for motivastional support! :mrgreen:
Strapping Scherzo
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by Strapping Scherzo »

I would just like to point everyone to this topic:
http://www.dcemulation.org/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=43752
Alexvrb
DCEmu Ultra Poster
DCEmu Ultra Poster

Post by Alexvrb »

pikford wrote:
scherzo wrote:the DC run at a cool 200mhz and has 16MB of RAM for me to work with (not to mention 2MB video RAM). So to me there was no reason why fullspeed SNES emulation shouldn't exist on Dreamcast.

Can you guys tell I'm excited too. I've been paying attention to the DC scene for a while now. I almost feel like I'm one of you reading my own posts and getting all giddy. Trust me, this will happen because not much feels better than creating something that can be appreciated.

There you have it. The Dc Should in fact be able to emulate the SNES without much of a problem. Seeing as it was about a 3mhz machine. I feel it's always been possible. It just needed someone to give it the TLC it deserves. Seems scherzo has stepped to the plate to finally gives the emu we all have waited for and deserve.
First off, the DC has 8MB of video memory, not two. It also has 2MB of sound RAM. One thing that may help speed is using the PVR to handle rendering - they are working on Direct3D rendering for the PC version, but that doesn't help us.

Now pikford, you must understand that Mhz means very little when it comes to EMULATING a console. A Playstation and a Saturn may be similar in terms of performance or raw specs, but a emulating a Saturn in its (extremely complicated) entirety would require at least 8-10X as much power as emulating a PS.
chronofurb
DCEmu Freak
DCEmu Freak

scherzo I would like to help you

Post by chronofurb »

please dont flame me, I do not know much about how to program and emulator, but I do know how to program. I am still in school so I still have stuff to learn about software engineering... But , I am a big fan of the dreamcast, and the snes, and open source software.... Please let me know what I can do to help. I know how to thoroughly write software in java and c++, and I am willing to learn anything else needed to help with this project. I basically have nothing else to do other than school and hang out with my peeps, so just let me know what i can help with...
Strapping Scherzo
DC Developer
DC Developer

No need to be paranoid. No one will flame ya for wanting to help. I really need someone with experience writing SuperH assembly. Most of the rest of the C/C++ stuff I should be able to handle.
Warmachine
DCEmu Veteran
DCEmu Veteran

Post by Warmachine »

I see you got your DCDevver Badge Scherzo, congrats!
:headbang: Dreamcast :headbang:
mastakilla
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by mastakilla »

SFcast splash screen contest anyone :?:

http://www.geocities.com/mkil1a/mkil1a. ... 3541785825
chronofurb
DCEmu Freak
DCEmu Freak

superH

Post by chronofurb »

where can I learn superH assembly any good tutorials out...?
Strapping Scherzo
DC Developer
DC Developer

Warmachine wrote:I see you got your DCDevver Badge Scherzo, congrats!
Yeah, I just noticed that. To say I'm honored is an understatement.
DemoniusX
Mental DCEmu
Mental DCEmu

Post by DemoniusX »

scherzo, I like your attitude towards the emu scene on dc.It is nice to know someone is willing to take the time to make this project and your the man to do it.you know your stuff ,you can do it.I always thought it would be cool to have a internal spc player so you can listen to snes music and have a light show with vecotr-like graphics. I know it is a stupid idea and will get flamed for it, people here don't like me because of my views of homebrew, but we won't go there, thanks scherzo for keeping the snes dream on DC alive:D
no other company in the gaming world will ever have the originality that sega and nintendo have to offer, PEROID. xbox and sony take a HIKE!!!!!
sbz -04-
JuniorXL
DCEmu Newbie
DCEmu Newbie

Post by JuniorXL »

I've done a fair bit of CISC/RISC assembler programming (Mostly MPASM and MCS-96), but I do recall dabbling in SH-4 a few years back when I was playing around with the KalistiOS. So if you need any more help in that department, lemme know. I've got some free time to blow. :)
Excessive
DCEmu Freak
DCEmu Freak

Finally a new Snes emu, AND Open source :D

Post by Excessive »

Finally, a new Snes emu for the dreamcast under production!!
It's really great that it's Open source too... :D
I cross my fingers for you!!
Culden
DCEmu Cool Newbie
DCEmu Cool Newbie

Post by Culden »

Well, i don't post here often, only occasionally but i have been here for a few years now. This is a special occasion for me to post ^-^ Mate, i gotta hand it to ya, im very excited to see the progress of this new SNES emulator. I still frequently use dreamsnes and appreciate all that the Dsnes team has done for us, but i personally believe that if they are gonna release anything, it will be more than a year from now which is quite a long time. I am looking forward to your progress and you have my respect. Good luck on achieving your goals and take care mate.
Death is always one step behind me.
CyberMick
Mental DCEmu
Mental DCEmu

Post by CyberMick »

mastakilla wrote:SFcast splash screen contest anyone :?:

http://www.geocities.com/mkil1a/mkil1a. ... 3541785825
Nice work mastakilla a really nice piccie looks excellent. :)
Regards.

CyberMick.
chronofurb
DCEmu Freak
DCEmu Freak

sh guide

Post by chronofurb »

scherzo, i would like to know where you got the 400 page SH-4 manual, so I can start learning SH-4, I have never actually made and software or anything in assembly, But i have taken a few assembly classes and know the basic principles of assembly lang, I may not be of much help, but ever little bit helps. PM me if you like or IM me on AIM as chronofurb...
Strapping Scherzo
DC Developer
DC Developer

Hey mastakilla, I usually don't like screenshot collages but that's a nice one!