Anyone here NOT like Sonic Adventure/Sonic Adventure 2??

Discussion of topics related to licensed games, software hacking/modification, prototypes, and development kits belongs here. Includes topics related to emulating the Dreamcast console on your computer or on another gaming console. Discussion of Reicast should go in the Official Reicast Forum.
SuperSonix
DCEmu Fast Newbie
DCEmu Fast Newbie
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by SuperSonix »

Sonic is like one of those series that should stay 2d
-=SuperSonic is Back after a Long Long Sleep=-
impetus
Team Screamcast
Team Screamcast

Post by impetus »

Heh, thus your 3-D sonic avatar. :roll:

Anyways I think the SA games were fantastic. true some levels were less fun, the cutscenes got old, and the music and English voices were annoying (I played it in Japanese). But the gameplay is mostly fantastic, especially the sense of scale and speed. Personally I find the 2D sonic games a bit bland.
picklebro
DCEmu Newbie
DCEmu Newbie

Post by picklebro »

you know...I liked playing as the bad guy..hehehe...I thought it (2) was an all-around solid game. Nothing to make you jump up and down with excitement (like, say, Jet Grind Radio), but it was decent enough, I thought. :)
JuniorCrb
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by JuniorCrb »

Everyone has opinion all which can be valid. IMO both were awsome games the did justice to the franchise.
mkjones
DCEmu Nutter
DCEmu Nutter

Post by mkjones »

impetus wrote:Heh, thus your 3-D sonic avatar. :roll:

Anyways I think the SA games were fantastic. true some levels were less fun, the cutscenes got old, and the music and English voices were annoying (I played it in Japanese). But the gameplay is mostly fantastic, especially the sense of scale and speed. Personally I find the 2D sonic games a bit bland.
True, the 2D games although cool do get bland after a while.

I fear the speed in the 3D versions however, you can see whats going on and where you are going, and I hate just sitting there hardly touching the controls while the Blue Ball Zips around and then thats it, whats the point?

Loved the fact he could "Grind" in SA2 however..
Dust on the Dreamcast
Lord_Ball
DCEmu Veteran
DCEmu Veteran

Post by Lord_Ball »

SuperSonix wrote:Sonic is like one of those series that should stay 2d
I thought Sonic made a fairly good transition into 3D(obviously I'm only comparing the Sonic levels and general character controls for the others), especially considering how often games that go from 2D to 3D suck royally.
Hobbes T Tiger
Mental DCEmu
Mental DCEmu

Post by Hobbes T Tiger »

SA was a beautiful game, but it was way too easy and tried to prolong it's lifespan with, imho, a ridiculously hard last stage. That snake level took up about 50% of my whole playing time, but maybe I'm just teh suxx0r? I like that :D

The "adventure" levels drove me nuts. That was **never** an adventure. Even though you could interact with all the characters it had nothing to do with the game. All I ever did was complete an action stage and then wander round and round looking for a clue as to where I was going next. And the character dialogue meant nothing! Grrr...
:x

SA2? I liked it a lot better because you just played the levels and got on with it, and it's graphically amazing, and far faster than the cube version. But the knuckles/bat thing levels are tedious in the extreme. Again I think a misguided attempt at padding the game out.

I do envy the cube's unlockable extras though... :o
Sega of Japan wrote:Offline - No confusion! No Boring! No Silence!
Online - No Loneliness! No Typing!
CyberMick
Mental DCEmu
Mental DCEmu

Post by CyberMick »

Hobbes T Tiger wrote:SA was a beautiful game, but it was way too easy and tried to prolong it's lifespan with, imho, a ridiculously hard last stage. That snake level took up about 50% of my whole playing time, but maybe I'm just teh suxx0r? I like that :D

The "adventure" levels drove me nuts. That was **never** an adventure. Even though you could interact with all the characters it had nothing to do with the game. All I ever did was complete an action stage and then wander round and round looking for a clue as to where I was going next. And the character dialogue meant nothing! Grrr...
:x

SA2? I liked it a lot better because you just played the levels and got on with it, and it's graphically amazing, and far faster than the cube version. But the knuckles/bat thing levels are tedious in the extreme. Again I think a misguided attempt at padding the game out.

I do envy the cube's unlockable extras though... :o
I quite agree with you on that i also wouldnt really call SA1 an adventure game really.

I liked the Dark and good sides of SA2 it's nice to be a baddy in Sonic for once, i also loved playing as Sonic and Shadow they had the best levels.
Regards.

CyberMick.
df0notfound
DCEmu Uncool Newbie
DCEmu Uncool Newbie

Post by df0notfound »

yeah i hate them, only bought them recently because they're so damn funny to show people what pathetic games they are heeh. Has to be some of the worst real games ever. I mean they had mario64 to see it done right and they came up with that haha pathetic
Skynet
DCEmu T-800
DCEmu T-800

Post by Skynet »

:| Then I guess you're not really a sega fan. You can't be a sega fan and not like Sonic Adventure.
Live gamertag: SKYNET211

Steam gamertag: SkynetT800
mkjones
DCEmu Nutter
DCEmu Nutter

Post by mkjones »

I also think Mario64 has many short-commings as well. It is however a lot "slower" game and so did not lose much of its FEEL with the transition to 3D..

Anyway, I plan to get one of those RGB Scart splitters so I can plug my xbox and DC into the same TV at the weekend so I can play my DC again without any hassle. SO I reccon I will give both games a go.

I also have Mario64 on the excelent Xbox N64 emu, it works great, maybe I will play that again.

The reason I feel the need to do this is simply becuase Sonic Heroes is out soon and I am sure I will be buying it. Also, my plan is to get a GC on a whim one day, if one comes my way. So Mario Sunshine will be a must too.

Its a shame I have to work so hard to like these games that I so easily LOVED in there 2D forms...
Dust on the Dreamcast
aisupikku
Mental DCEmu
Mental DCEmu

Post by aisupikku »

The Sonic Adventure games probably should've been called "Sonic World" games, maybe... That seems like what they were doing, as some of you noted by the vast differences from previous Sonic games. It seems that usually, whenever Sonic gets to a new platform (wait, how many times has this occured?), things get back to basics, and it's all about Sonic on the new platform with these new capabilities, and such. Sonic-only Sonic Adventure might've had us complaining about how it could've been so much more, instead of how it could've been so much more with so much less (if that makes any sense).

Anyway, it looks as though the Sonic Team is doing that popular artistic creative process where they get tired of certain things and want to venture out into others without looking back (please, Orbital, PLEASE! just release the frickin' VISIT soundtrack!!), so Sonic Heroes is going to branch out further into this whole "adventure/hero/dark" thing with more teams and technically even more playable characters. I have to admit; I love seeing new NPCs in games (as I thought Tails was, and then Knuckles in STH3 [US]), and then think it's super-cool if they become playable in future games (or secret codes, or game completion bonuses) but jumping to six characters in Sonic Adventure was sort of diminishing, with respect to Sonic. I would almost say that maybe they should do the same, but split them up into separate games (a la Knuckles Chaotix, and maybe... "Amy Rose Adventure" or something) but then, if they were hits, we'd be saying "they should make the Sonic Dream Match 2004 and have ALL of the characters in ONE game!" Know what I mean?

So anyway, as for me, I think that I'm just a frenzied Sonic fan. My little sister didn't like SA2 as much as SA, didn't want to get it, didn't want to play it, hardly even wanted to watch it (probably partially because of the simplistic [and weeeeeeird] storyline) but I had a fantastic time with it. At first, I didn't like all of anything anyone might note as a "bad point," such as the varied gameplay modes, or maybe them seemingly selling out and featuring "Soap shoes" advertisements everywhere, but, to me, this is the next spot that we get to check out in the Sonic universe, and I for one am happy to throw my money and free time (and not-so-free time) at the Sonic Team for bringing out games like Sonic Heroes. :D

By the same token, half-a-million people will jump me and say "cancel those preorders for PPF, P2, and CoSII for DC and go out and buy an XBOX!!" and I have to admit that they have a point. For the price of just those four imports, I could get an Xbox with Halo from Funcoland. Do I want to?

:?:

::lapses into comatose-like state, thought processes set into a flux pondering why consideration of this possibility is occuring at all, but honestly trying to weigh options from a logical perspective... "new games for the favorite but discontinued DC" or "forget about new DC games and instead play Sonic Heroes on the supposed-best system"? ... ::

-edit-
I somehow completely missed the second page of this thread. ^_^ Thankfully it seems that I didn't re-hash any points too badly...

In addition; Sonic Adventure's detailed textured surfaces were much appreciated after seeing Mario 64 some time before... but, with respect to both, I'll almost never like them "as much" as their 2D counterparts. As beaten into the ground time and time again, many of us have a special place in our lives and memories where 2D was king, and getting back to that these days is fairly difficult. All this new, flashy stuff is cool, and lots of new memories are being made, but man... Back in the day was the stuff. I'm waiting for a Sonic or Mario 2D platformer with 3D rendering on a home system! Hopefully things like KOF 2000/2001 and SVC Chaos and things like that will pave the way for 2D returning to the mainstream, alongside 3D and all that stuff. Going wayyy off-topic. Stopping now.
« ˆˆ -ˆ-ˆ ˆ » [ Let's help! Trizeal DC ]
BobRedthorp
DCEmu Crazy Poster
DCEmu Crazy Poster

Post by BobRedthorp »

I personally would have to say that Sonic Adventure 1 is the best, I preferred having the adventure levels, plus I liked the way you could play with the extra charicters as you progressed, I dont really like sonic adventure 2 and I feel it lost something along the way?

Might just be me, since Sonic Adventure 1 was the first DC game I got.

But I have to admit in buying Sonic Adventure 1 and 2 for the Gamecube when they where released even though they are more or less exactly the same, even the graphics haven?t been that much updated (but do they need updated, no!).

But the rewards for getting all the emblems is a much nicer addition!
Dreamcast game information archive: http://www.jamesgreenhorn.btinternet.co.uk/gameaniser/
Nico0020
DCEmu User with No Life
DCEmu User with No Life

Post by Nico0020 »

I didnt really read through the post. My own oppinion on the matter is that Sonic adventure 1 and 2 were good games, too easy, but cool non the less. But they were not good sonic games. Sonic had his day for the genesis, but he should have never entered the world of three demensions(or flicky island :lol: )
*The Cadillac of signatures*
BobRedthorp
DCEmu Crazy Poster
DCEmu Crazy Poster

Post by BobRedthorp »

Well, I don?t know, :roll:
Dreamcast game information archive: http://www.jamesgreenhorn.btinternet.co.uk/gameaniser/
sega-wont-die
DCEmu Freak
DCEmu Freak

Post by sega-wont-die »

well i actually liked the knuckles levels idk why i just did
HOOKED ON FONIX REELY WURKED FUR ME!!!!!!!
SuperSonix
DCEmu Fast Newbie
DCEmu Fast Newbie

Post by SuperSonix »

woo i didnt remember posting in this topic but ya about my avatar i like it.

Its weird in that clip in the game i hate dragonballz but i like sonic morhing into supersonic
-=SuperSonic is Back after a Long Long Sleep=-
Skynet
DCEmu T-800
DCEmu T-800

Post by Skynet »

lol, I hate DBZ but like Super Sonic :lol:
Live gamertag: SKYNET211

Steam gamertag: SkynetT800
Vchat20
DCEmu Ultra Poster
DCEmu Ultra Poster

Post by Vchat20 »

Skynet wrote:lol, I hate DBZ but like Super Sonic :lol:
ditto. sa1 and 2 were both really good games. but sa2 was the best most of all mostly cuz of the awesome soundtrack.
Warmachine
DCEmu Veteran
DCEmu Veteran

Post by Warmachine »

I didnt sonic adventure was that bad. Wasnt great but I had some kicks with it.
:headbang: Dreamcast :headbang: