A new 2004 game for both DC and PS2

Discussion of topics related to licensed games, software hacking/modification, prototypes, and development kits belongs here. Includes topics related to emulating the Dreamcast console on your computer or on another gaming console. Discussion of Reicast should go in the Official Reicast Forum.
Ender
DCEmu Super Poster
DCEmu Super Poster
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by Ender »

Hey, I like the odd shooter, but it does bug me that that's all that's happening. And I'm adding to the shooter genre for the DreamOn contest. If I had known about all of these shooters comming out before I started, I probably wouldn't be working on the game that I am. Too late now. Oh well.

Variety is the spice of life.
The Kron
DCEmu Respected
DCEmu Respected

Post by The Kron »

Ender if you want to cancel the game its your call, Im loosing all enthusiasm for this scene with each and every day.
mkjones
DCEmu Nutter
DCEmu Nutter

Post by mkjones »

:)
you should know better to say anything bad about the almighty DC around here
Oh I would never diss the console, its a genius machine, so powerfull yet so understated and so small and perfectly built, but the majority of games are terrible and its getting worse...

Sure its not as bad as the percentage of total crap games the PS2 has to good games, but they would release any old tosh of that pice of rubbish..
but still, it would be nice if there was more variety in the DC's latest releases.
You mean other than, driving, fighting, driving, fighting, shooting, driving, fighting, shooting, ohh! RPG! driving, fighting, driving, fighting, shooting, OH PLATFORMER! driving, fighting, driving, fighting, shooting, fighting, fighting, driving, fighting, shooting....

Id rather boot Mame DC and play Wonderboy...

Just one good game before its part of the gaming history books, thats all we ask...
Dust on the Dreamcast
Ender
DCEmu Super Poster
DCEmu Super Poster

Post by Ender »

The Kron wrote:Ender if you want to cancel the game its your call, Im loosing all enthusiasm for this scene with each and every day.
Naw, it's started and would take me too long to get something else going for the contest. Just seems to be adding to a flooded market at the moment. It'll still get done.
toastman
Iron Fist of Justice
Iron Fist of Justice

Post by toastman »

I like shooters.
Make more shooters.
Don't lose enthusiasm.
Whee whee. More cheerleading goes on here. :D
No signature.
mozie
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by mozie »

suits me fine, i love my shooters me!!!!
Bring em on!!!
Hobbes T Tiger
Mental DCEmu
Mental DCEmu

Post by Hobbes T Tiger »

Just seems to be adding to a flooded market at the moment
The Homebrew market and the Japanese commercial market are two different things entirely.

It's very unlikely I'll be importing anything from Japan, but I'll sure as anything be d'loading and burning any Homebrew that comes out. And if I have to order a CD from Metafox or something then I'll do that too. It's an easy way to get hold of new software and I love to see new stuff written by hobbyists.
To see such excellent results from amateur coders makes the Homebrew games all the more exciting.
I've always loved Public Domain or Open Source software. I pay very little to get it and I appreciate that it's not coming from commercial sources, and so I can enjoy it without expecting commercial quality or a big return for my money.

I for one will be very dissapointed if this scene finally comes to a halt, and I've enjoyed it so much that I would probably invest in a new console simply to take advantage of another homebrew scene.

So please, don't think you're competing with the software publishers, you're not. We're a pretty attentive audience and there's always going to be appreciation here for your hard work.

Anyone who complains doesn't want a scene, they just want free games.
qatmix
Mental DCEmu
Mental DCEmu

Post by qatmix »

Ender: Keep up the work on the shooter. They are easily one of the best genres and any platform is richer by having as many as possible available.

Also Shooters are quite a hardcore game. This suits the market perfectly as the are more hardcore gamers left as the casula gamer will have moved onto PS2 etc.

I personally am overjoyed and await ordering it from D-Direct as soon as its available.
Ender
DCEmu Super Poster
DCEmu Super Poster

Post by Ender »

Ok, thanks for the positive feedback. It's good to see some people are still interested.

As it works out, due to some of the posts in this thread, Kron has bailed on me. However, those of you who have gone to my site know that I do art as well, so Brave Suicide is still a go.

If anybody is interested in helping out with art or sound, let me know. But even if nobody volunteers, you'll have another shooter for the contest.
Lavalord
Mental DCEmu
Mental DCEmu

Post by Lavalord »

I wish we could convince Konami to release some nice BEMANI for dreamcast. I whould love to see BeatMania. Or DDR 8th mix. I bet all the songs could fit on a gdrom too. Hey, think we can get a petition together?
Eckostyle
DCEmu Mega Poster
DCEmu Mega Poster

Post by Eckostyle »

Lavalord wrote:I wish we could convince Konami to release some nice BEMANI for dreamcast. I whould love to see BeatMania. Or DDR 8th mix. I bet all the songs could fit on a gdrom too. Hey, think we can get a petition together?
My two cents, just so you know.

Nah, Sony holds the contract for all Bemani, and I really dont think DDR Extreme or ANY of the IIDX games could be done on the DC, and I dont think Konami would be interested, since most Bemani fans already own the import games for the PS2(me included), and will stick with that. Why do you think Konami stopped releasing Pop N Music games on the DC after Pop N Music 4? Nobody was buying them, since they had a very sizeable fanbase on the PSX, then moving onto the PS2.

Also, if they were ported, who would want to spend money for new controllers? Those things are not cheap.
Lavalord
Mental DCEmu
Mental DCEmu

Post by Lavalord »

Heh, oh well...I gave it a shot. But I've been talking with SimWolf About DWI for DC. He said that after he makes DWI 3 he'll seriously consider porting it.
JuniorCrb
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by JuniorCrb »

i'll take any game on a system that technectly "dead"
Lartrak
DCEmu Respected
DCEmu Respected

Post by Lartrak »

I like shooters, I just don't understand how they can get away with charging $60 for a game on a dead system that you can beat in 20 minutes. That's why I only own like one shooter for a next gen system, and that's Ikaruga. Well, I DO understand how they get away with it (AES releases at $300 a piece sell thousands in Japan), it is just too much for me. But then again, $50 is often too much for me so... :P
How to be a Conservative:
You have to believe everything that has ever gone wrong in the history of your country was due to Liberals.
Warmachine
DCEmu Veteran
DCEmu Veteran

Post by Warmachine »

Yea I dont see why they charge $60.00 but then again it is an import. Do you know how much they were selling KOF01 or KOF02 for??? :o
:headbang: Dreamcast :headbang:
Sweater Fish
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu

Post by Sweater Fish »

I like shooters, I just don't understand how they can get away with charging $60 for a game on a dead system that you can beat in 20 minutes. That's why I only own like one shooter for a next gen system, and that's Ikaruga. Well, I DO understand how they get away with it (AES releases at $300 a piece sell thousands in Japan), it is just too much for me. But then again, $50 is often too much for me so...
I don't see what conceivable thing the Dreamcasy being "dead" or the amount of time it takes to get from the beginning to the end of a game have to do with the price they can charge for it. A good game is the same good game whether or not the system is commerically viable in a mainstream sense with the EGM editors and the guy behind the counter at Gamestop constantly trying to hype it up. And playing a shooter (it should be the case when playing *ANY* game, in fact, but it's just an incontrovertible fact when it comes to genres like the 2D shooter) has nothing at all to do with "beating" it, the goal is to *MASTER* it and that takes an indefinite amount of time. If you don't want to spend $60 on the game, that's fine, but those are some pretty lame justifications.

I think SNK-Playmore's releases like were 6000yen which meant $53 from most importers.

...word is bondage...
JuniorCrb
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by JuniorCrb »

[quote="Lartrak"]I like shooters, I just don't understand how they can get away with charging $60 for a game on a dead system that you can beat in 20 minutes. That's why I only own like one shooter for a next gen system, and that's Ikaruga. Well, I DO understand how they get away with it (AES releases at $300 a piece sell thousands in Japan), it is just too much for me. But then again, $50 is often too much for me so... :P[/quote]

you can beat shooters in 20 min :o :o :o I hope not on your first try
qatmix
Mental DCEmu
Mental DCEmu

Post by qatmix »

try beating boarder down in 20 mins @)

shooters reward a great deal of skill, its all about the balance of points and progress.. top stuff.

I personally would be happy if there was a shooter released every week.
The Kron
DCEmu Respected
DCEmu Respected

Post by The Kron »

Its not a question of beating a game in 20 minutes with infinate continues, by doing that you aren't learning anthing other than insert coin - start.

But a lot of people could never hope to understand the design or depth these games offer as they are are taken at face value with todays game properties with usual lack of depth and integral design.
Ian Micheal
Soul Sold for DCEmu
Soul Sold for DCEmu

Post by Ian Micheal »

USE Shootem up constuction kit on dreamfrodo make your own shooters with out even knowing coding. Would save some time.
Dreamcast forever!!!