Skies of Arcadia, R.I.P? I hope not...

Discussion of topics related to licensed games, software hacking/modification, prototypes, and development kits belongs here. Includes topics related to emulating the Dreamcast console on your computer or on another gaming console. Discussion of Reicast should go in the Official Reicast Forum.
tigger86
DCEmu Junior
DCEmu Junior
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Skies of Arcadia, R.I.P? I hope not...

Post by tigger86 »

I bought a used copy of Skies of Arcadia at a local EB a few years ago (it was the last copy, w00t). I haven't played it for at least a year now. I got the urge to play it again today (due to extreme boredom), but the first GD doesn't want to boot up anymore. Previously, it's had its problems with freezing, or simply not booting, but I would usually be able to simply clean it with my "glasses cloth" and it would work perfectly. It seems hopeless now.

The GD does not have any deep gashings or anything like that. You can see the residue of the infamous GameDoctor (somewhat smudgey lines protruding from the center...can anyone confirm if GameDoctor is supposed to do this?) from previous use. There are minor scratches here and there but nothing that jumps out at you.

I was wondering, does anyone know of any home remedies that have been proven to work? I really don't want to lose this gem.

note: I know my nick is crap :wink:
The Kron
DCEmu Respected
DCEmu Respected

Post by The Kron »

Gamedoctor tends to destroy more DC games than it repairs.
Segata Sanshiro
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu

Post by Segata Sanshiro »

I used to repair my PS1 games years ago with water, toothpaste and a piece of cotton! I'm not joking, it really worked 80% of the time. I used a bucket of water, submerged the CD, then i put some toothpaste (the simpler the better, no extra mint or anything) on the part of the CD that the laser reads and with the cotton start to rub the disk very gently and carefully from the center to the outside! The tooth paste acts as a very fine sandpaper and kinda "erases" the scratches, BE VERY CAREFULL!! because if you rub it too much your game is a goner for good! After that wash the CD with water and dry it very good before inserting it into the console (the DC is that which really matters)
Do it at you own risk! I just remember how i got scamed buy a guy who sold me a broken TEKKEN 2, i was out of options, so i used this technique, saved the CD and sold it for 50$! :roll:
Sir Slash

Post by Sir Slash »

Best advise is find a used record store that will resurface the cd face
WELCO
ME
TOT
HE
NEX
T
LEVEL

tigger86
DCEmu Junior
DCEmu Junior

Post by tigger86 »

Screw the quote function...

"Gamedoctor tends to destroy more DC games than it repairs." -The Kron

I figured that much. The cashier told me he had used GameDoctor to fix it, but it looks more damaged than restored.

"Best advise is find a used record store that will resurface the cd face" -Sir Slash

I'll take this into consideration 8-)

Segata Sanshiro:

I tried out the toothpaste, but alas, the POS GD still won't boot up. Chances are I messed up royally somewhere along the line. I've searched the web before hand for methods of restoration and toothpaste seems to be the most prominent one. Bah, damn GDs. Should've of moved on to DVD format Sega!

Well, whatever. I guess I'll be stuck playing the 2nd disk for now. Thank you for the advice :)
MooGliSH
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by MooGliSH »

Could try boiling it...
tigger86
DCEmu Junior
DCEmu Junior

Post by tigger86 »

Sweet! It finally booted up! MooGliSH, you are my savior :twisted:. I filled a pot up to about 2 centimeters high and after the water started to boil, I stuck in the game and waited about 10 seconds before emptying (that's some sexy effects in the water, and smell). Anyway, the game booted up! Despite the fact that the music lagged then froze and eventually went to the main boot screen, it's a start. Thanks MooGliSH :D
nobody in particular
DCEmu Freak
DCEmu Freak

Post by nobody in particular »

I've had issues with Skies of Arcadia discs as well. Oddly enough, the discs don't look particularly scratched, at least not more than any of my other DC discs that work without problems.

At any rate, turn your Dreamcast upside-down before turning it on with SoA. That's usually worked for me.
Lavalord
Mental DCEmu
Mental DCEmu

Post by Lavalord »

That happened to me, there's a simple solution. Put in Disc 2 first then load the filem it will ask to swap discs. Do it , it;l boot. It the beginning movie I think. My disc isnt scratched or anything either.
To ascess website. Just soft reset when you have load game file and disc 1.

As for gamedoctor... you need the dreamcast wheel. The have them 2 for 12 bucks on the website. I forgot the link.
Segata Sanshiro
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu

WOW man, i thought the boiling part was a joke! :wink: Could you pleas explain the process in detail? And a small logical (physics? chemistry?) explanation of what changes in the GD after boiling. Please!

Are you sure the problem is not in the DC lense (dust, hair...)? A few days ago i bought from LikSang and Play Asia 10 punds of DC titles :P and some of them behaved kinda weird, and Dynamite Cop didnt boot at all (brand new, no scratches at all) i tried it on my other DC and it booted, the intro video was choppy, as the game really had problems, but at least it booted!

BTW: I have an advice for those unfamiliar with LikSang - LikSang is a little more expensive than Play Asia, but the packaging is far better and the games arrive in better shape, the other order had a couple of games with cracked boxes and even an open one :|
MooGliSH
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by MooGliSH »

Some GD Roms where made with an excesively think coating which can stop the disc from being easily read, boiling it takes a bit off.
Segata Sanshiro
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu

Thanx MooGliSH.

But how is it done? Like tigger86 said? or there is something else to it. How hot the water must be and how long the GD has to be inside before melting?

Thanx again
tigger86
DCEmu Junior
DCEmu Junior

Post by tigger86 »

Wait for the water to boil then just pop the disk in with the label facing down. The disk will tend to float back to the surface due to the bubbles and whatnot so get something to prod it back down (ie. a chopstick). After softening the GD (approximately 40 minutes), turn off the heat and proceed to eat the shiney filament goodness inside...

Right...just let it sit in the water for however long you think it needs to be. More scratches=more time. About a minute tops (speculating here, 30 seconds may be enough too...try it on some other demo disk first or something). As another precaution, don't let the label touch the bottom of the pot...common sense etc.