Snatcher (Single Game Emulated?) on DC

This is a forum for discussing the feasibility of getting emulators, games, or other applications that have had their source released ported to the Dreamcast. Please read the Porting FAQ before starting a topic in this forum!
Gillian Seed
DCEmu Freak
DCEmu Freak
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Snatcher (Single Game Emulated?) on DC

Post by Gillian Seed »

I am proposing a DC emu of the Sega CD game: Snatcher.

I was wondering if this could be done?
Sweater Fish
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu

Post by Sweater Fish »

I wonder...afterall, it's not a very processor intensive game for the most part.

Actually, it even seems possible that most of the game is stored as separate data packs similar to the way Sierra Online games are, so that whast you'd really want to do is write an interpretter rather than an actual emulator. I'm not sure. I know all the speech is just CDDA. I don't have my Sega CD stuff handy to check it out, but I think it would be worth looking into.

I know that the Sega CD version of Monkey Island is playable on the Dreamcast this way using SarienDC. Perhaps Snatcher could be, too, with an interpretter of its own. The game was certainly ported around a lot in Japan, so it would have made sense for Konami to break things up into portable data packs that way.

I'd love to play Police-nauts, too. Is there really no translation for it? It's such a famous game, you'd think there'd be one.

...word is bondage...
chrisfbt1
Mental DCEmu
Mental DCEmu

Post by chrisfbt1 »

Snatcher is Definately one of my favorite games :)

What about the Msx Version ? is that playable on the msx emu ?
Phantom
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by Phantom »

chrisfbt1 wrote:What about the Msx Version ? is that playable on the msx emu ?
It probably is, but it's in Japanese. ;)
chrisfbt1
Mental DCEmu
Mental DCEmu

Post by chrisfbt1 »

Gillian Seed
DCEmu Freak
DCEmu Freak

MSX emu it?

Post by Gillian Seed »

Well, since someone posted a link to the translation, I don't see what is stopping us.

I have the Sega CD game at home, so ...

I just hope something comes of this. Others need to play this awsome as fudge game!
Ian Micheal
Soul Sold for DCEmu
Soul Sold for DCEmu

Post by Ian Micheal »

Should be any one tryed it on the msx emus yet. that would fix the problem.
Dreamcast forever!!!
Gillian Seed
DCEmu Freak
DCEmu Freak

Post by Gillian Seed »

I've gone on the net and tracked down an MSX version of the game translated to English, though I know that it works. Tested on an MSX emu myself.

The game is in "Engrish" though, it was translated by some multicultural people.

I can e-mail said game to anyone who is willing to test it out. I myself have to get home and DL all of my CD burning software to start up making my DC emu disks again and such.

So, if you're willing, I can e-mail it to you. ;D

Granted, this would be the MSX version, so it would all be in text only, no voices. The Sega CD version was so moving for me because I could relate with the characters, the voices added another edge to the game that I couldn't find in other 16-bit games of the time. Yes, Sonic was amazing to play and it was fun, but Snatcher was amazing to play, it was fun AND it was moving!
SchmuckofNI
Mental DCEmu
Mental DCEmu

Post by SchmuckofNI »

I am willing to bet the PC Engine SCD version would be easier to emulate than that of the Sega CD one... Then again, its in japanese too so that doesn't help the situation much. :lol:
jimmybigeyes
DCEmu Fast Newbie
DCEmu Fast Newbie

Snatcher!

Post by jimmybigeyes »

I would like that a lot too! I'm willing to help in any way, but I'm not a DC Developer. Could provide webspace though, or free drinks in Amsterdam.

-gus
Gillian Seed
DCEmu Freak
DCEmu Freak

Post by Gillian Seed »

I tried to burn everything yesterday and make some self booting disks. All I get is a disc that resets the dreamcast in a nice loop. :evil:

I use Nero burning ROM to make my CDs. Like I stated in a previous post, I HAVE THE MSX ENGLISH VERSION!!

Maybe we could take this and an MSX emu a step further and tweek the heck outta Snatcher on the DC. Maybe up the color content in the game a bit? Better sounds as well?

Again, I can't get ANY of the MSX emulators from the site to work on my DC. Any help?
Alexvrb
DCEmu Ultra Poster
DCEmu Ultra Poster

Post by Alexvrb »

Sweater Fish wrote:I'd love to play Police-nauts, too. Is there really no translation for it? It's such a famous game, you'd think there'd be one.
You'd think. But then you'd think again.
Gillian Seed
DCEmu Freak
DCEmu Freak

Post by Gillian Seed »

The MSX English version of Snatcher runs just fine on all of the MSX Emu's I've downloaded.

I STILL can't get it to run on the DC emus!! :evil:
Ian Micheal
Soul Sold for DCEmu
Soul Sold for DCEmu

Post by Ian Micheal »

Did you include all the bios files. burning things is not that hard. Use demo menu and load the bin on any cd you burned. People should get into the habit of not making Selfboot cds and using demo menu.
Dreamcast forever!!!
Gillian Seed
DCEmu Freak
DCEmu Freak

Post by Gillian Seed »

Demo menu?

I used all of the files included in BOTH of the MSX Emulators posted on the main site. Anyway...

You want me to send the Snatcher files to you? Hopefully YOU could make a Nero self-booting image and post it some where for us so we can all part-take of the wonderful "Snatcher Cake".
jimmybigeyes
DCEmu Fast Newbie
DCEmu Fast Newbie

Post by jimmybigeyes »

I tried in the past to burn the MSX emulator and the English version of Snatcher using DreamInducer, but that didn't work out too well. So if anyone (I think mr. Michael should be able to do it) finds a way to make it work, please include detailed instructions for people like me. The slightly stupid.
Ian Micheal
Soul Sold for DCEmu
Soul Sold for DCEmu

Post by Ian Micheal »

Reaperangel@yahoo.com send it there so what i can do for you. But i would just email you the working image I doubt it is legal to upload and you own it right :D
Dreamcast forever!!!
Gillian Seed
DCEmu Freak
DCEmu Freak

Post by Gillian Seed »

Yes I legally own A Copy of Snatcher... *won't specify WHICH copy he legally owns*

But, here they come! Its from a .mil e-mail address.. you'll see.
Gillian Seed
DCEmu Freak
DCEmu Freak

Post by Gillian Seed »

Well? Did you get the files, have you put the stuff together? :D :D
Gillian Seed
DCEmu Freak
DCEmu Freak

Post by Gillian Seed »

Well? or am I not going to get a response?