Inhabitants

This forum is for discussion pertaining to homebrew and indie software for the Dreamcast, such as homebrew games, emulators/interpreters, and other homebrew software/applications. Porting requests and developmental ideas are not to be made here; you can make those here. If you need any help burning discs for homebrew software, this is the place to ask as well.
CyberMick
Mental DCEmu
Mental DCEmu
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by CyberMick »

Thanks BurnerO for the sbi file and Number 6 im glad you escaped from The Village and joined here i loved that old TV show. :)
Regards.

CyberMick.
guitsaru
the guitar monkey
the guitar monkey

Post by guitsaru »

I'm gonna try the pc version. Just reformated so I have to install directX though
Number Six
Mental DCEmu
Mental DCEmu

Post by Number Six »

CyberMick wrote:Thanks BurnerO for the sbi file and Number 6 im glad you escaped from The Village and joined here i loved that old TV show. :)
Awesome. I get the impression that some who visit here may be too young to know who The Prisoner is. "I'm not a number! I'm a free man!" Be seeing you... :wink:

And, BTW, this game rules! I'd wager to say that it is actually more addictive than Sega Swirl. Thanks to all coders/artists/porters (is that a word?) involved, and hopefully we can expect more "pro-looking" HB releases in the future.
DARKGATE wrote:look me in the my balls eyes :o
Barret7sc
DC Developer
DC Developer

Whee

Post by Barret7sc »

S. Thompson wrote:Hello everyone. Just to clear some things up here and thank all of you for the kudos, I was the one who was lead programmer for Inhabitants (PC version) and the concept is my own. The graphics were done by Andrew Bado. The project is released under S+F Software. As for Brandon, the Dreamcast version is very, very well done and will soon match the quality of the PC version.
Yup, Steve is right, It was his idea, and Andrew did all of the graphics. I just ported it to the DC. It is still very beta. And the final version is coming soon, with more graphics, more modes, more bug fixes :) And more props. I can't take all the credit for this. If it weren't for my peeps with S+F I wouldnt have this at all.

Things that I know are screwy.
1) Does not work with a) no controller or b) no VMU
2) PAL probably does not work, and apparently not VGA. I don't have the hardware to test it with, but if anyone wants to contact me and let me send them builds, I can.
3) You can click on tiles before before they all fall down, causing them not to fall all the way.

Anyways, thanks for the kind words. Feel free to send me any feedback, bugs, etc, it is appreciated
S. Thompson
The Fuzmeister
The Fuzmeister

A Possibility

Post by S. Thompson »

I really think porting other S+F Software titles to Dreamcast would be great... especially any of the games in the Trevor series. I am really glad you all enjoy Inhabitants. We have a new puzzle game for PC in the works this week, as well. It's not mentioned on the site, but all I can say is it is more of a logic game than Inhabitants was. :)

Steve Thompson
Storminator16
DCEmu Veteran
DCEmu Veteran

Re: Whee

Post by Storminator16 »

Barret7sc wrote: 2) PAL probably does not work, and apparently not VGA. I don't have the hardware to test it with, but if anyone wants to contact me and let me send them builds, I can.
VGA works fine with me, but not with others. Only thing that seems wierd is that it seems to hang initially, then it runs fine. Maybe I should try this out on my t.v. to see if it's the same way.
Sweater Fish
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu

Post by Sweater Fish »

I finally managed to get both Inhabitants and Sprint working after my earlier problems. Since I still don't have any blank CDRs, I just burned Dream Inducer and the unscrambled BINs to my multisession Dream Hakker swap disc and then loaded Dream Inducer from Dream Hakker and then I can select either game from the standard Dream Inducer menu and they work fin that way. I still can't get them to load directly from Dream Hakker or demomenu (even tried pressing Y and loading the unscrambled versions and I get the same results as I described before), so I don't know what's wrong there, but at least I can play them now.

Inhabitants is indeed very cool. Quite different from Sega Swirl/Samegame actually since the strategies required to set up 4-ways are a lot more specific than the ones required to just build up big blocks of the same color in Sega Swirl. This game will be great when multiplayer and a time limit and stuff are implemented. My only complaint now is that you can't move the cursor with the digital pad, it seems like that would work well and be a lot more responsive. Also, I'm playing in VGA, by the way, and it works fine that way.

Off topic for this thread, but Ice88's Sprint demo is pretty promising, too. If you're reading this, Ice, you sould consider implementing a random track generator in the final version if you haven't already; I've been looking into this for a Neo Geo Pocket game I'm working on and it's pretty easy to do, basically the same as random maze generation, and it adds a lot of variety to the game without taking up much space or time as designing a whole lot of pre-defined tracks does.

Man, 2004 is gonna be a huge year for Dreamcast homebrews, I can't wait.

...word is bondage...
Hobbes T Tiger
Mental DCEmu
Mental DCEmu

Post by Hobbes T Tiger »

Here's some more kudos from me for S+F :mrgreen:

Welcome from your instant fanbase.
Sega of Japan wrote:Offline - No confusion! No Boring! No Silence!
Online - No Loneliness! No Typing!