DOOM Builder

Talk about Quake, Doom, Wolfenstein 3D, or other DC first person shooting game ports and mods for those games in here.
XDelusion
Psychotic MOD
Psychotic MOD
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

DOOM Builder

Post by XDelusion »

For those interested in designing there own DOOM maps. There is a new DOOM editor (well pretty new) that though still fairly buggy at times, allows you edit maps in real time 3D! I figured I'd bring this up since it should make things a LOT easier for those who find making worlds in 2D confusing.

And now for the home page:

http://www.xodemultimedia.com/index.php

Check it out, and check out the screen shots!
BlackAura
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by BlackAura »

Nice. Why wasn't there one of these years ago?
XDelusion
Psychotic MOD
Psychotic MOD

Post by XDelusion »

I've been wondering that myself. I just spoke with the author and version 1.0 is being beta tested as we speak, also once that is out, he is also giong to release the sources so that people can add in specific support for there port of choice, such as being able to view slopes for ZDOOM, or 3D floors for Legacy from within the editor! :)
XDelusion
Psychotic MOD
Psychotic MOD

Post by XDelusion »

After using this some more, I can DEFINATLY say that if you have not tried it as you yet, you should do so! It does have a few bugs here and there, but they hardly ever get in the way, in which case I just resort to DeepSea when I need to work around them.

The 3D view saves an ASS LOAD of time, now you can quickly click on your walls in real time, select the texture, move it around so it fits perfectly, ect, plus you can run around your map and make sure everything is where it should be before you save it, I am VERY VERY impressed, this is definatly for any newbie to the DOOM editing sceen, even if your well versed in editing, you'll find this will cut HOURS out of your map building work.

If anyone gets lost, ask here, I'll help you out as best I can, I have most of the short cuts and what not down now for this editor. Also the author hangs out on doomworld.com if you wanna chat with him.
XDelusion
Psychotic MOD
Psychotic MOD

Post by XDelusion »

Oh ya for your DeHackED editing, install the Visual Basic run time files and go grab this:

http://home.wanadoo.nl/dennis.meuwissen ... update.zip

Toss out DeHackED and update to a windows GUI based DeHackED editor! :)
cybdmn
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by cybdmn »

Looks great. Maybe i will get back into mapping, and do some serious things this time. :mrgreen:

OMFG ACS support. I need it.
...where the sanest place is behind a trigger
Nico0020
DCEmu User with No Life
DCEmu User with No Life

Post by Nico0020 »

if NXdoom or any of the other ports got some sort of multiplayer going
(i understand this is a very hard task) I would start building multiplayer maps. I more into the multiplayer maps then 1player lvls. very cool find though. I may just download it to check it out though, looks impressive.
*The Cadillac of signatures*
XDelusion
Psychotic MOD
Psychotic MOD

Post by XDelusion »

How can one EVER give up DOOM mapping, it is soooo easy and fun, It's like that virtual reality contruction kit I always wanted!

My latest project has been inspired by the 1st level from Time Splitters 2 for the XBOX. I am pretty much duplicating it T for T, but then using Starwars textures, and making a few modifications to make the level fit in with the flow of my game a bit better.

Anyhow in this level there is a water dam with a 6 story building on either side. Each building consists of a flight of stairs, and a non-functional elevator. Unfortunatly in the game the stairs only take you as far as floor 5, in which case you must pass to the other building via a hallway within the dam. On the other side you exit the building, and enter another small building which then leads you underground where you eventually find a means to restore power to the elvators in a control room. After this the elevators are then fully active, in which case you can now travel to the 6th floor which will lead you to the top of the dam.

I have been using DOOM Builder (and a little DeepSea) to faithfully recreate the level, as well as the elevators, which work 100%! You can go floor to floor, up and down, or you can call the elevator to your floor, when the elevator arives, the door opens, then closes once you enter the elevator, once you reach your floor, it re-opens, lets you out, and closes behind you again. I can not stress HOW MUCH time has been saved by doing this via DOOM Builder. 3D floors like this can usually take me weeks to fully work out, but now it only took me a few hours. :)

cybdmn:If you are ever inspired to make an Imperial building of some sort (something Dark Forces ish) let me know, it would be kool to have one of your children in my project. :)

Hell anyone good at mapping or what not should contact me if you wanna submit something to the Starwars Legacy project:

amixdel at yahoo dot com

You know where to find me.
XDelusion
Psychotic MOD
Psychotic MOD

Post by XDelusion »

Version 1.0 with sources is out today! Many new features, many bug fixes!
cybdmn
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by cybdmn »

XDelusion wrote:How can one EVER give up DOOM mapping,...
Time ? Jobs are taking much time today.

<edit>

OMFG! Doom editing was never that easy be4. The Build-like 3D mode for texturing is such an improvement. Far better as all the time consuming texturing mode in all DooM editors i've ever seen. And i've seen many over the years.

</edit>
XDelusion
Psychotic MOD
Psychotic MOD

Post by XDelusion »

He he he, so again I ask...

...how can one possibly give up DOOM editing. :)
cybdmn
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by cybdmn »

Give up ? Paused. :mrgreen:
My first playable level is finished, maybe need some polishing, 2nd is in the making. Heh.
XDelusion
Psychotic MOD
Psychotic MOD

Post by XDelusion »

I am looking forward to trying it, here is a screen of one of the maps I've been working on for the last half month, please note the textures are NOT done, just slapped on to have something there for the moment. Starwars textures from Jedi Academy will be replacing those soon, and I may add some crona lights to the room, but am not that far yet, regardless here ya go. :)

http://www.freeartistweb.com/StarWarsLe ... wars12.JPG
cybdmn
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by cybdmn »

Looks great. Is the bridge that good ol hack, or Edge ?

My Levels will be more plain DooM for DooM II. I try to get some of the real DooM feeling for DooM II. Most of the TCs, and even the Game itself isn't always that game, that started the madness. :mrgreen:

I've paused again. No mapping from monday to thursday. Reason: Call of Duty. Heh. But i've resumed it today at the airport with my laptop.
It will maybe take a long time, til there is some really playable material, but as long as i work 500 miles away from home, in a foreign country, i have a good reason to do some serious mapping.
XDelusion
Psychotic MOD
Psychotic MOD

Post by XDelusion »

Sounds like you've got an interesting life. While I'm stuck here in the arm pit of America (the center), pennyless and incapable of finding a decent full time, well paying job. Of course school has to cost a crap load, so it is all very negative for me at the moment, good thing I have DOOM to bury my head in! :)

Anyhow, back to the posative stuffs.

My project is as the name implies, for DOOM Legacy. I LOVE the 3D floors, and fraggle script, and at the moment, they are working on adding in Hexen support, and even sooner, a way to use Heretic Frames, Things, and Code Pointers from within DOOM to expand upon the DeHackED horizons. Once Hexen support is finished we'll have even more of that stuff, storable items, moving skies, acs script, ect! It is going to rule, and it'll be in C++ by then to make it more portable.

Oh, yes, here is the same room, with some wall textures from the new Jedi Academy game, please note that the floor textures have not been added yet.

http://www.freeartistweb.com/StarWarsLe ... wars14.JPG
cybdmn
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by cybdmn »

Sounds more interesing than it is. Every week the same thing. Monday flight to Zurich and friday back. Between these 2 days i sit before a computer to make MS Installer packages from Install Shield crap.
But who cares ? The colleagues are OK, and its well payed.
In my spare time there i try to make some DooM maps. But nothing special. I have thought about some ACS scripting, but i want to make it playable with vanilla DooM.
Yor new screenshot is shown elsewhere. On Newdoom ? Can't remember.
Textures looks a little bit like Blake Stone stuff. Why didn't you try Dark Forces textures ?
XDelusion
Psychotic MOD
Psychotic MOD

Post by XDelusion »

Blake Stone?!?! Ha ha, no there from Jedi Academy which JUST came out. :)

Ya, I had the picture posted on NewDOOM for a while, and it may be paying a revisit once the lighting is added in...

...cronas that is.

I should really make some Vanilla DOOM compatable maps again some day, but once I get going, I always end up using BOOM tricks or something, and forget that I added them.
FETUS
Knight of Null
Knight of Null

Post by FETUS »

Can anyone say doom map contest :mrgreen:
XDelusion
Psychotic MOD
Psychotic MOD

Post by XDelusion »

That could be QUITE fun, a DCEmu DOOM Map contest...