Direct modem to modem gaming?

This forum is for discussion pertaining to homebrew and indie software for the Dreamcast, such as homebrew games, emulators/interpreters, and other homebrew software/applications. Porting requests and developmental ideas are not to be made here; you can make those here. If you need any help burning discs for homebrew software, this is the place to ask as well.
jaredfogle
DCEmu Turkey Baster
DCEmu Turkey Baster
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Direct modem to modem gaming?

Post by jaredfogle »

Like in Starcraft, how you enter each other's phone numbers and play. No internet connection required. I know nothing of how or if this could be done, but is it possible?
Veggita2099
Janitor 2nd Class
Janitor 2nd Class

Post by Veggita2099 »

Somebody correct me if Im wrong, but I don't think the DC modem is capable of Receiveing a call. I mean yes it can obviously upload/download data. But I don't think it is able to receive a phone call like a regular PC modem can. In order to do this the software has to be set up to receive the call from the other modem. I do not know of any way to do this with a Dreamcast modem.
Wii number: 1227 6854 1080 3665
Hatecrime69
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by Hatecrime69 »

correct me if i'm wrong (witch i probalby am) isn't there some japan software on the dc that has direct dial support? i don't think it's a problem with the modem itself, it's that nobody wrote the software to support it
toastman
Iron Fist of Justice
Iron Fist of Justice

the modem foo

Post by toastman »

the skinny on the modem homebrewn
it hasn't been hacked yet.
there is bba support and lan adapter support in KOS
blammo. no modem.
so no direct dialing, no online gaming, nothing that involves the modem. just yet.