Half life beta for DC

This forum is for discussion pertaining to homebrew and indie software for the Dreamcast, such as homebrew games, emulators/interpreters, and other homebrew software/applications. Porting requests and developmental ideas are not to be made here; you can make those here. If you need any help burning discs for homebrew software, this is the place to ask as well.
DoughBoy
Yes, that's right I'm a
Yes, that's right I'm a
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Half life beta for DC

Post by DoughBoy »

ok, I know it's been canned a long time ago. But does anyoen know of anyone who has the beta?? They're e-mail? And lastly, anyoen know how far they got on it? I heard they were making all the half life's, blue shift, counter strike, etc, so were any totally done?
Another great and interesting post brought to you by the DoughBoy!

P.S. I'm looking for A Turbo Express, PM me if you got one.
Cutman
DCEmu Junior
DCEmu Junior

Post by Cutman »

Blue Shift was supposed to be exclusive on the Dreamcast which would have owned. Since they canned it they put it out on PC instead.
DoughBoy
Yes, that's right I'm a
Yes, that's right I'm a

Post by DoughBoy »

actually no it wasn't, it was for PC way before DC, they just ported is all
Another great and interesting post brought to you by the DoughBoy!

P.S. I'm looking for A Turbo Express, PM me if you got one.
Jeeba Jabba
Jeeba Jabba

Post by Jeeba Jabba »

I have the beta but it is MINE

MINE

Nah, but really though...I always look forward to the Sign Up days to be a beta tester... I always forget
"He who cannot draw on 3,000 years is living hand-to-mouth." -Goethe
DeGamer1
DCEmu Respected
DCEmu Respected

Post by DeGamer1 »

That so called beta is actually the complete game, it just wasn't released. It's a shame too because I know many people that would buy it if it came out now.
Oh, no. NO! You can't do this to me. Don't give me a playstation. NOOOOOOOOOO! I don't want a piece of crap. Take it back and burn it to heeelll!!! Die Sony Computer Entertainment with you PS (Piece of Sh?t) and your PS 2 (Piece of Sh?t?2)
Chalavet
DCEmu Veteran
DCEmu Veteran

Post by Chalavet »

Blue Shift was made by Gearbox and supervised by Valve. It would be king if Half Life DC ever did see the light of day. The problem is that there are a lot of people involved to probably get it released. You've got Valve (the creators of Half Life), Gearbox (in charge of making the enhancements to Half Life like higher poly characters), Capitation Studios (I believe that was the name, in charge of localizing Gearboxes work to the Dreamcast), and Sierra (has the publishing rights to perhaps all renditions/versions of Half Life). I truly think that after 1 year, it would probably be easier because the "crave" for a console version would be expired with the previous PS2 release. Perhaps then, Sierra would see that making something is better than nothing.
|darc|
DCEmu Webmaster
DCEmu Webmaster

Post by |darc| »

The Kron has it. PM him.
It's thinking...
Dr Wily

Post by Dr Wily »

DarcAgent wrote: The Kron has it. PM him.
Dude... hes gonna thank you for saying that. No, *really* :o

/me sees The Krons PM inbox exceeding limit in about an hour
Chalavet
DCEmu Veteran
DCEmu Veteran

Post by Chalavet »

It is ok though. I gave him a heads up PM to prepare him for the flood.
Vlad Tepes
DCEmu Veteran
DCEmu Veteran

Post by Vlad Tepes »

I'm not really sure I'd want to play the Half-Life beta for DC after playing Half-Life on PS2. I, personaly, thought it was horrible on PS2 and didn't do the game justice, and I'm guessing the PS2 game was probably a port from what was done for the DC game...minus Blue Shift and Opposing Force. And if memory serves me correct, Blue Shift WAS supposed to be a DC exclusive, but when the DC game was canned, Blue Shift was released on PC. I just remember reading about Blue Shift in a DC magazine WAY before PC Blue Shift ever came out.
Bullet
DCEmu Newbie
DCEmu Newbie

Post by Bullet »

"Of course, a street date wasn't the only good news that Sierra had in store for us. Sierra has announced that its Dreamcast-only mission will now officially be entitled Blue Shift."
Bling_
YATTA!
YATTA!

Post by Bling_ »

it was said HL had worse loading times then soldier of fortune....which also had a effect on it's final outcome.....
It's Thinking,
cKy_Bling
"I like my beers cold, and my homosexuals flamin'!"
http://www.ckymusic.com
DAMN RIGHT I'M A SPAMMER!!
discostu55555
DCEmu Respected
DCEmu Respected

Post by discostu55555 »

generally anything that fills up a disc will have bad loading times since files will be spread out all over the place and the laser has to seek back and forth to find the info it needs, but usually the last phase of development is to reorganise the files for quicker loading (anything like frontend graphics/sound, movie files, or any "big" files go to the center of the disc while smaller files (map/character data, textures, etc)goes to the outside and is sorted so related files are in line with each other... sometimes files will even be duplicated so you can use similar objects in differant levels without haveing to scan back to an unrelated "chunk" of the disc... my guess is they did a poor job of this with SOF as they pretty much admitted they released an unfinished version, and im pretty sure this process wasnt even started on half life.. and even if it were its likely that the betas that were handed out were just burned in an iso compliant format and lost their normal sorting...
Sirmorpheous
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by Sirmorpheous »

hmmmmmmmmmm
51R/\/\0RP|-|30|_|5

Lartrak
DCEmu Respected
DCEmu Respected

Post by Lartrak »

Does the Kron REALLY have a pirated image of Half-Life DC? has anyone verified this? Or are you just being mean? :-p
IUG-13

Post by IUG-13 »

Well, in the staff forum, he did post PICTURES of them, but they don't have to mean they are his...
The Kron_

Post by The Kron_ »

Its not a pirate.

Its an Original Pre-release GD-Rom.

[EDIT] And its not for sale and im not going to release it....so dont bother PM'ing me about it.
Jeeba Jabba
Jeeba Jabba

Post by Jeeba Jabba »

The Kron wrote: Its not a pirate.

Its an Original Pre-release GD-Rom.

[EDIT] And its not for sale and im not going to release it....so dont bother PM'ing me about it.

How'd you get a hold of it?
"He who cannot draw on 3,000 years is living hand-to-mouth." -Goethe
The Kron_

Post by The Kron_ »

They were sent out to videogame mags to review.

DC HL was reviewed in one of the UK's unnofficial magazines and went to print before they decided to cancel the release.
aberf
DCEmu Cool Newbie
DCEmu Cool Newbie

Post by aberf »

Hand it over, Kron, you transformer-loving nerd.