HD for GD

Discuss modifications you have done or plan to do to your Dreamcast or any other hardware, or discuss devices you want to build. If your console does not work or is acting up, ask about fixing it in here.
Fluff Daddy
DCEmu Newbie
DCEmu Newbie
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

HD for GD

Post by Fluff Daddy »

So I posted this at consolevision and they went stone bonkers. I hope that I may at least get some replies before this thread gets locked for some facist saying it's warez related (which it doesn't havr to be)

So this is what I want to do:

I want to replace my GD drive with a Hard Drive. That way I can just load whatever I feel like using onto the HD and boot it from there.

I will probably have to use a PC to control this mess since I don't think your average HD has much compability with the GD units' pinout.

So has this been done yet? Or am I the first one to think of this crazyness?

Any comments are appreciated.
l33t swede
neoak
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu

Post by neoak »

:|
Fluff Daddy
DCEmu Newbie
DCEmu Newbie

Post by Fluff Daddy »

except for that one :)
l33t swede
PhoenixBurn
DCEmu Freak
DCEmu Freak

Post by PhoenixBurn »

I think you can do this with a bba or programmers cable, i am probably wrong :roll:
As to replacing a gdrom with a hdd well umm, i doubt you would be able to get it working since the dc bios expects a gdrom drive.
Maybe controlled by a pc with the data being fed down the gdrom data lines then it might be possible, but the amount of money and work it would take to get it working would by far excede the amount of time to swap a disc out of the dc a few hundred times.
Skynet
DCEmu T-800
DCEmu T-800

Post by Skynet »

seeings how i dont know squat about dc hardware, don't expect this to be a very good question. but couldn't you make some small software so the bios "sees" the HD as being a gd? i know it's a stupid question, but im just wondering
Live gamertag: SKYNET211

Steam gamertag: SkynetT800
Matt
Soul Sold for DCEmu
Soul Sold for DCEmu

Post by Matt »

No way, you can connect a HD to the expansion port thingy though
Prophet][
DCEmu Mega Fan
DCEmu Mega Fan

Post by Prophet][ »

As long has you have the right software to go with it. And don't expect any games or emus to support it.
Skynet
DCEmu T-800
DCEmu T-800

Post by Skynet »

lol, well whats the point?

can it store save files? roms? mp3s? movies? or is it just 'one of those things that CAN be done, with no real use'

Fluff Daddy
DCEmu Newbie
DCEmu Newbie

Post by Fluff Daddy »

So that I can have just one big fat HD with all my games and load the ISOs through some menu which loads automatically at startup.
l33t swede
Matt
Soul Sold for DCEmu
Soul Sold for DCEmu

Post by Matt »

So that I can have just one big fat HD with all my games and load the ISOs through some menu which loads automatically at startup.
Unless you've got good soldering and programming skills I wouldn't get your hopes up :|
Skynet
DCEmu T-800
DCEmu T-800

Post by Skynet »

Prophet][ wrote: And don't expect any games or emus to support it.
this lead to
me wrote: lol, well whats the point?
Fluff Daddy wrote: So that I can have just one big fat HD with all my games and load the ISOs through some menu which loads automatically at startup.
maybe i misunderstood prophets post, but i thought he meant that no games supporting it meant u couldnt run anything from it :roll:

sry, yes is a good idea Fluff Daddy but i would imagine that would already be looked into by now... if possible

MetaFox
Adventure Gamer
Adventure Gamer

Re: HD for GD

Post by MetaFox »

Fluff Daddy wrote:Is it possible to replace the GD drive with a PC and load the game as ISOs? Well I know it is possible... Anything is. But is this totally fucking crazy or just your average insane idea?

Stone bonkers my foot. :evil:

Of course it got locked, it would here too.
MindChild
DCEmu Junior
DCEmu Junior

Can it be done?

Post by MindChild »

Sure, it can be done, but not by me or you, or likely anyone outside of sega. The GD-rom is not "just a cdrom in different packaging", but rather its interface is pretty different. No one has full documentation without a NDA.

The effort to reverse engineer the hardware and software to get this actually working will never be justified.

My ONLY initial suggestion would be to write a Windows CE driver that interfaces with the HD but looks and acts like the GDRom driver. Even then, you can only use this in games that use Windows CE.
ZacMc
DCEmu Super Fan
DCEmu Super Fan

Post by ZacMc »

Fluff Daddy wrote:So that I can have just one big fat HD with all my games and load the ISOs through some menu which loads automatically at startup.
Sorry we're not going to help you play your warez games off a HD.

Closed.