Nokia Sold 400,000 N-Gage Decks in Two Weeks

Talk about anything and everything not related to this site or the Dreamcast, such as news stories, political discussion, or anything else. If there's not a forum for it, it belongs in here. Also, be warned that personal insults, threats, and spamming will not be tolerated.
Specially Cork
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/

Post by Specially Cork »

Smirre wrote:I luv how you can fill those 128mb smartmedia cards full of Commodore 64, Nes and gameboy games
But unless a system was designed for homebrew, you should not use this to decide how good a console is.
and play them on N-Gage.
In longscreen so they look all compressed, with a flawed set of controls.
Thousands of games straight from the box for $199, not bad eh? :D
+ the price of the smartmedia card
+ the price of owning the games in the first place
I thought Emulator Peeps would love the Retro-gamers heaven
We do, but you can already play all these systems on GBA. And a gba and a flash cart still costs less than an an n-gage.
Panic to defend Nintendo and it's Gameboy from Nokia. Dunno why though :?
Because the GBA has a better array of games than the ngage and better design.
GP32 is awesome also but it's harder to get
Not really. Its just not available in as many places. I could buy one right now though.
and only official games are korean..
But GP32 is only really designed for homebrew, and its half the price of an ngage.
Smirre
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by Smirre »

scykon wrote:1. But unless a system was designed for homebrew, you should not use this to decide how good a console is.

2. In longscreen so they look all compressed, with a flawed set of controls.

3.+ the price of the smartmedia card
+ the price of owning the games in the first place

4. We do, but you can already play all these systems on GBA. And a gba and a flash cart still costs less than an an n-gage.

5. Because the GBA has a better array of games than the ngage and better design.

6. Not really. Its just not available in as many places. I could buy one right now though.

7. But GP32 is only really designed for homebrew, and its half the price of an ngage.
1. As a retro gamer I think it is quite a big bonus if handheld gaming system is able to run it's own games but also emulators straight from the box without any hardware mods or other modifications. GBA can't do it for example (which you do know)

2. C64 games for instance doesn't care if it's longscreen, widescreen or double screen.

Magazines and reviewers have whined about bad controls but again, C64 games doesn't care about that! C64 uses only 1 action button anyway so what's the beef of having 5 or 9 action buttons? Maybe N-Gage's own games could use more than 2 action buttons but I would buy it for emulators anyway so 2 action buttons is enuff.

3. You can't add Smartmedia card's price to the N-Gage starting package. Many people have digital cameras which use very same cards, so they already have SMC cards. Price of owning games? You mean those C64 games and such? As far as I know C64 games have been free for download for some time already. So price for those would be pretty much $0.

4. Last time I checked I couldn't get GBA and flash cart system + empty flash cart for $199. Also flash carts are expensive, use is limited to GBA only while you can swap SMC cards between your N-Gage and digital cameras just like that.

btw does GBA have a working C64 emulator?

5. From retro players point of view N-Gage has better games (because of those emulators). So it's just what _you_ want. Original GBA's design wasn't good you have admit it. What if you give Nokia a similar second chance to improve and judge design after that (likes was case in GBA & GBA SP).

6. Hey please.. honestly which one is easier to buy for a regular John: GP32 or N-Gage? You walk into a shop, mall, electronic boutique.. TA-DA you see an N-Gage. Reaction when you ask for GP32 from those same places: "What is that? Is it a new dish wash machine?" In other words YOU yourself(!) have to know a machine named GP32 even exist!

I am angry for Mitsui canceling the GP32's Europe launch. I would have gladly buy one for xmas...

7. Yup but it doesn't mean N-Gage is poor on emulators. Far from it to be exact. Half the price? Now point me to a place where you can get a GP32 FLU unit for a silly $100 :roll:

p.s You attack N-Gage pretty rough without that much knowledge/experience of it... like a personal crusade against Nokia.. I just wonder why :o
Last edited by Smirre on Tue Oct 28, 2003 11:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
zero
DCEmu Super Fan
DCEmu Super Fan

Post by zero »

Original GBA's design wasn't good you have admit it.
hmmm, imo the original GBA's design was very good, the only problem it had was not having a backlit screen, other then that it was perfect, much better then nokias design, now i'm not putting down the Ngage, it could be a pretty good handheld, all it needs is a lower price and to fix the screen and the buttons layout and make it where you don't need to open the thing to put in a new game and then it will be a real good handheld.
Smirre
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by Smirre »

forgot but same SMC cards goes to GP32 too. So easily 3 uses for same SMC cards now. You can't say from your heart that SMC cards are expensive
Lartrak
DCEmu Respected
DCEmu Respected

Post by Lartrak »

Last time I checked I couldn't get GBA and flash cart system + empty flash cart for $199
Sure I can. You can get a GBA for less then $50, and a Flash card for $70-$120.
You can't say from your heart that SMC cards are expensive
They're not. The official N-Gage ones are ludicrous though. Off brand ones though, cheap. You can get like a 64 meg for $30ish if you look around.
GP32 or N-Gage? You walk into a shop, mall, electronic boutique.. TA-DA you see an N-Gage. Reaction when you ask for GP32 from those same places: "What is that? Is it a new dish wash machine?" In other words YOU yourself(!) have to know a machine named GP32 even exist!
That's a bad comparison. An "average john" won't use emulators on the N-Gage, he'll be stuck with a gaming system that has horrible buttons, horrible games, and a horrible d-pad. The games designed for the GP32, while not really great, are better then the N-Gages nonetheless.
From retro players point of view N-Gage has better games (because of those emulators). So it's just what _you_ want. Original GBA's design wasn't good you have admit it.
I don't have enough experience with C64, but GBA at this point has more emulators for more systems then the N-Gage. NES, GameGear, SMS, Spectrum, and a few others. N-Gage will surpass this, undoubtedly (no denying it is more powerful), but this isn't as good as it should be for a couple reasons - the Screen is the wrong ratio for almost all classic games, and it is also too small for many of them. And, of course, it has a BAD d-pad, and bad buttons. It's like having a PocketPC - who wants to play games with buttons like those things have? Well, maybe RPGs...

Also, I think the original GBA has a good design. It is a flawed design, but still a good one. I prefer it to the SP, as the SP is too cramped, too thin, and the should buttons aren't any good. I just use a flood light, which lights it and protects the screen. I wish they had used the original GB's d-pad and buttons on the advance, then it would of had a GREAT design.
Many people have digital cameras which use very same cards, so they already have SMC cards.
Unfair comparison. While that is certainly possible, I wouldn't say all or even most people who buy the N-Gage also have SMC cards lying around.
Magazines and reviewers have whined about bad controls but again, C64 games doesn't care about that! C64 uses only 1 action button anyway so what's the beef of having 5 or 9 action buttons?
The button layout is BAD, it isn't about the extra buttons. The two MAIN BUTTONS are poorly positioned and have a bad feel, and the d-pad SUCKS.
GBA can't do it for example (which you do know)
Flash cards are just as much of a modification as SMC cards.

I'll conclude by saying this - I want a new good handheld. It looks like the Zodiac will deliver it. The Zodiac is much more powerful then the n-gage, has a much better screen, uses a better OS (Palm) and looks to have a MUCH better d-pad (well, d-stick thing) and button layout. If the Zodiac gets emus, I'll probably buy it.
How to be a Conservative:
You have to believe everything that has ever gone wrong in the history of your country was due to Liberals.
Specially Cork

Post by Specially Cork »

You cant say everybody has smart media cards because of digital cameras.

The majority of people dont actually have digital cameras
The how many of them actually use SMC? There are 6 different formats of memory storage for digital cameras...

Secure Digital
SmartMedia
Compact Flash
Floppy Disc
Memory Stick
and internal memory.

Plus surely, if people have smart media cards for their digital camera...they will want to use them for their digital camera, not for emulation.

----

The problem isnt that the ngage has loads of buttons. The problem is the way they are postitioned. Some of them are really difficult to press because of your hand position, and the reset button is RIGHT next to the normal buttons, making rapid button pressing or combos a hazard to your highscore.

----
Jeeba Jabba
Jeeba Jabba

Post by Jeeba Jabba »

Ian Micheal wrote:
If the N-gage was made by nintendo you all be loving it ..

The words 'Nintendo' and 'Multi-functional device' just dont work together. Give it up. ;)
"He who cannot draw on 3,000 years is living hand-to-mouth." -Goethe
toastman
Iron Fist of Justice
Iron Fist of Justice

Post by toastman »

Ian Micheal wrote:NOW too the little child in the topic.
Calling me names shows how ungrown up there are and hiding under a new sign up name and not even having, the guts to use there other name.
Sorry for side-tracking here, but I have to know this:
Who do you think "Hi I'm New" is? You seem pretty confident. And if you think it's me, you are wrong. Any OT mod or admin can IP check and confirm that.
No signature.
Ian Micheal
Soul Sold for DCEmu
Soul Sold for DCEmu

Post by Ian Micheal »

Dont think its you at all what gave you that idea?????

N-gage right now has a really good c64 emulator just as good as dreamfrodo. GBA does not have the power to run a c64 emulator. So c64 fans are going to buy this thing. Its all the talke in c64 circles right now..

homebrew has started for the N-gage and this good this early is very promising..
Dreamcast forever!!!
Specially Cork

Post by Specially Cork »

Ian Micheal wrote:Dont think its you at all what gave you that idea?????

N-gage right now has a really good c64 emulator just as good as dreamfrodo. GBA does not have the power to run a c64 emulator. So c64 fans are going to buy this thing. Its all the talke in c64 circles right now..

homebrew has started for the N-gage and this good this early is very promising..
<sarcasm>Yes, and Im sure emulation is going to set ngage sales rocketing.

I mean look at the Xbox.
i heard that when the first xbox emulator was announced on some comparativly obscure news sites, Xbox sales shot up by millions.

The Dreamcast is another fine example. Did you know Sega would've stopped Dreamcast production 6 months earlier if it wasnt for DreamSNES?

I can see ngage doing much, much better now we know there are emulators on the way. Because emulation really is loved by the masses. </sarcasm>

On the other hand, dont delude yourself by thinking because so many people visit DCEmulation, the whole world loves Emulation.
Being able to emulate may make it more likeable to people who enjoy emulation. But this doesnt disguise the fact that...
1) The ergonomics of the system are poor
2) The orignal games for this system are lacking
3) The games that are available aren't really that good
4) The pricetag is too high
Emulation adds little extra value to the majority of people on this planet. Using emulation as an argument for the ngage on an emulation site (like this one) may seem like a good idea. But a lot of us arent actually into the whole retro emulation thing as much as you might think. I for one only really hang around for the community.
Plus, we're intelligent enough to look at the wider picture, rather than start going (omg the ngage rocks we can emulate!)

And besides What can actually be emulated??!?
Its never going to be able to handle anything more advanced that the SNES/GBA and thats if a really well-coded emulator comes out. But even then, the whole screen ratio is going to wreck the experience.
Can you imagine playing a squished version of Super Mario World? Donkey Kong Country? Zelda? (I doubt the in-game text would even be readable).
Nyarlathotep
Soul Sold for DCEmu
Soul Sold for DCEmu

Post by Nyarlathotep »

Ian Micheal wrote:GBA does not have the power to run a c64 emulator.

:lol:

modern fridges have enough power to run a C64 emulator...
The Kron
DCEmu Respected
DCEmu Respected

Post by The Kron »

The N-Gage may have a C64 emulator but it also has a terrible screen that renders it next to useless.
az_bont
Administrator
Administrator

Post by az_bont »

Aren't all the N-Gage emulators just the same ones that were already available on other Symbian 60? Which, by the way, have a rather cool version of Opera, for full proper internet access, rather than whatever crappy incarnation of WAP is currently doing the rounds among mobiles.

And anyway, couldn't you just apply borders, ? la Sonic N?
Sick of sub-par Dreamcast web browsers that fail to impress? Visit Psilocybin Dreams!
Ian Micheal
Soul Sold for DCEmu
Soul Sold for DCEmu

Post by Ian Micheal »

Dr Wily wrote:

I wish the dreamcast does not even run it fullspeed all the time. Takes a lot more to emulate the c64 then it does the nes.

for the longest time it was thought the dreamcast would never have a fullspeed c64 emulator. So modern frige would have not a hope in hell.

Check the specs needed by frodo pc and winvice. I doubt any modern frige has the power. GBA can never do it fullspeed with sound.

Commodore is lot more complex then the nes console. In some ways and not in others. There is for example other cpus need to be emulated like the 1541 disk drive cpu and others.

az_bont wrote:Aren't all the N-Gage emulators just the same ones that were already available on other Symbian 60? Which, by the way, have a rather cool version of Opera, for full proper internet access, rather than whatever crappy incarnation of WAP is currently doing the rounds among mobiles.

And anyway, couldn't you just apply borders, ? la Sonic N?
Yes most of those work and , Ive talked to c64 users and the N-gage is screen is fine for the c64 go to lemon read the posts about it. people found the screen not to be useless at all. Maybe if your use to a GBA it is but not if your use to a colour cell phone of which it is.

It will have fullspeed nes and others very soon. since symbian 60 and others works on it lot of good stuff to try out.
Dreamcast forever!!!
sixteen-bit
Hardware Freak
Hardware Freak

Post by sixteen-bit »

Ian Micheal wrote:
Dr Wily wrote:

I wish the dreamcast does not even run it fullspeed all the time. Takes a lot more to emulate the c64 then it does the nes.

for the longest time it was thought the dreamcast would never have a fullspeed c64 emulator. So modern frige would have not a hope in hell.
I've seen 8MHz M68k machines emulating a C64, so...
Ian Micheal
Soul Sold for DCEmu
Soul Sold for DCEmu

Post by Ian Micheal »

That was a commdore amiga no doubt.
Dreamcast forever!!!
Rand Linden
bleemcast! Creator
bleemcast! Creator

Post by Rand Linden »

I remember a couple of C64 emulators on the Amiga ... ;-)

Rand.
impetus
Team Screamcast
Team Screamcast

Post by impetus »

scykon wrote:There are 6 different formats of memory storage for digital cameras...

Secure Digital
SmartMedia
Compact Flash
Floppy Disc
Memory Stick
and internal memory.
Don't forget xD format, the card that has REPLACED Smart Media in Fuji and Olympus cameras. :wink:
sixteen-bit
Hardware Freak
Hardware Freak

Post by sixteen-bit »

Ian Micheal wrote:That was a commdore amiga no doubt.
I was actually thinking of the ST but yeah, Amiga C64 emus too.
DarkHopes
DCEmu Crazy Poster
DCEmu Crazy Poster

Post by DarkHopes »

They Sell For 300 dollars a pop..think about it..heh
"You are no more potent than words that choke me"