Question about PS2 DVD viewing

Talk about anything and everything not related to this site or the Dreamcast, such as news stories, political discussion, or anything else. If there's not a forum for it, it belongs in here. Also, be warned that personal insults, threats, and spamming will not be tolerated.
that_guy
DCEmu Veteran
DCEmu Veteran
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Question about PS2 DVD viewing

Post by that_guy »

Does anyone know if the PS2 can play VCD, SVCD, or DIVX?
melancholy
DCEmu's Ace Attorney
DCEmu's Ace Attorney

Post by melancholy »

No, no, and...no.

*EDIT* There is a Divx player out there on the net for the PS2, but you have to have your system modded. There might be a VCD viewer as well, but I don't know of any.
Last edited by melancholy on Thu Oct 23, 2003 12:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Roofus
President & CEO Roofuscorp, LLC
President & CEO Roofuscorp, LLC

Re: Question about PS2 DVD viewing

Post by Roofus »

that_guy wrote:Does anyone know if the PS2 can play VCD, SVCD, or DIVX?
Short answer: No, No and No.

Long(er) answer: I don't know about the first two, but I'm pretty sure there's a homebrew DivX player out there for PS2. I don't know anything about it, though. Or even if it exists. :P
that_guy
DCEmu Veteran
DCEmu Veteran

Post by that_guy »

However Dreamcast does have a DIVX viewer. How good are the DC Movie Player and DC-DIVX?
Last edited by that_guy on Thu Oct 23, 2003 1:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
readme.txt
DCEmu Freak
DCEmu Freak

Post by readme.txt »

If somebody finds a DivX-Player - I need it too
German DC-Forums ------>>> http://www.boi.de.vu
az_bont
Administrator
Administrator

Post by az_bont »

There's a DivX player, but no VCD or SVCD player. If you don't get your system modified, you'll only be able to play movies up to 632.5MB in size, unless you use the soon-to-be-released SwapMagic v3 boot discs. Anything after that point and the PS2 wouldn't be able to handle it. If you got even the simplest of modchips, the discs can be as long as you like.

The player is called the PS2 Reality Player, I think, and can be found here: http://www.ps2reality.net
Sick of sub-par Dreamcast web browsers that fail to impress? Visit Psilocybin Dreams!
that_guy
DCEmu Veteran
DCEmu Veteran

Post by that_guy »

I have a program called DVD Ripper that doesn't need a DVD burner to do DVD's. However, under DIVX it converts to .avi, and I can't remember what the VCD or SVCD gets converted to. So a regular DVD player will play .avi without having any kind of boot device?
MDPBlackout
Mental DCEmu
Mental DCEmu

Post by MDPBlackout »

no. A regular DVD player will not play avis. Some will play vcds and svcds. Those are .mpg. None of the ones I have here will play vcds though :(
OneThirty8
Damn Dirty Ape
Damn Dirty Ape

Post by OneThirty8 »

that_guy wrote:I have a program called DVD Ripper that doesn't need a DVD burner to do DVD's. However, under DIVX it converts to .avi, and I can't remember what the VCD or SVCD gets converted to. So a regular DVD player will play .avi without having any kind of boot device?
It doesn't need a DVD burner to rip, or to burn DVD's? If you do not have a DVD burner, you are not burning a DVD. You might be burning a disc with video that your DVD player is capable of playing, but it would be a VCD (or possibly SVCD).
Specially Cork

Post by Specially Cork »

DVD Players with divx compatability are just starting to come onto the market.

They arent very good brands though, so wait for Sony to say divx is a dieing format, then wait three years while divx becomes really popular, then Sony will release their own divx dvd players and pretend they invented the technology and its brand new. Theyll also give the dvd players a strange name like "Comprexx"
CoasterKing
Gone Postal...
Gone Postal...

Post by CoasterKing »

scykon wrote:DVD Players with divx compatability are just starting to come onto the market.

They arent very good brands though, so wait for Sony to say divx is a dieing format, then wait three years while divx becomes really popular, then Sony will release their own divx dvd players and pretend they invented the technology and its brand new. Theyll also give the dvd players a strange name like "Comprexx"
:lol: It's funny because it's true.
KAWAKS40
DCEmu Freak
DCEmu Freak

Post by KAWAKS40 »

PS2 has "ps2reality" which is pretty good in my opinion...

plays most formats
dunno what the MAX res. it supports tho.. but i got DIVX of "crouching.tiger"
(yes, yes.. i kno that movie OWNS)
and it ran flawless.. except at the very beginning, the sound cut out for a couple seconds.
*pause/play.. then it was back to normal.

XPRESS is a pretty good tool.. turns most formats into "dvd format"
doesnt help the quality at all.. but lets you play your "fake.dvds" in ps2 without reality..
or in your dvd-"only" player for that matter.

:o KAWAKS.40 ...

currently playing: ICO .. this game reminds me of DC.. :)
az_bont
Administrator
Administrator

Post by az_bont »

KAWAKS40 wrote:XPRESS is a pretty good tool.. turns most formats into "dvd format"
doesnt help the quality at all.. but lets you play your "fake.dvds" in ps2 without reality..
or in your dvd-"only" player for that matter.
Yes, and it does that by re-encoding your file into a DVD. So you do, in actual fact, have a proper DVD, and not a "fake" one.
Sick of sub-par Dreamcast web browsers that fail to impress? Visit Psilocybin Dreams!
melancholy
DCEmu's Ace Attorney
DCEmu's Ace Attorney

Post by melancholy »

I was at work last night and in the truck we recieved a shipment of these Media Players for PS2. Its made by Interact, and according to the package it can play mpg, divx up to 5, quicktime, mp3s, and ogg. I didn't have a chance to check the price, but I'd say that's pretty sweet. It's a great solution for anyone that doesn't want to mod their PS2's
az_bont
Administrator
Administrator

Post by az_bont »

Yeah, but it requires a netowrk adaptor. And you don't actually have to mod your PS2 to plat homebrew, but you will be limited to 632.5MB of files, with anything past this point refusing to load. Unless of course the homebrew PS2 Reality Player supports networking.

And by the way, that Media Player by Interact is just the official one made by DivX re-packaged under a different name.