Wine...

Talk about anything and everything not related to this site or the Dreamcast, such as news stories, political discussion, or anything else. If there's not a forum for it, it belongs in here. Also, be warned that personal insults, threats, and spamming will not be tolerated.
ninja
DCEmu's own ninja
DCEmu's own ninja
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Wine...

Post by ninja »

Need some help, first off, how do i install wine?

Secondly, how do i configure wine for internet access, see, im wanting to run a couple of internet apps using wine and i really dont want to install VMWare since it requires me to actually install windows onto a "virtual drive", however, the main problem with that is that i dont have the cash to buy vmware therefor its only good for 30 days. Anyway, to get back on-topic, is it possible to configure wine to allow the apps i install to have internet access?
Delete my posting account.

Thanks.
bizzle

Post by bizzle »

Just wondering, what do you want to run?
Phantom
DC Developer
DC Developer

Re: Wine...

Post by Phantom »

ninja wrote:Anyway, to get back on-topic, is it possible to configure wine to allow the apps i install to have internet access?
Yes, but it should be possible to find native replacements for most of those apps. So:
Xylene wrote:Just wondering, what do you want to run?
BlackAura
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by BlackAura »

If Wine supports networking, it should just work. You shouldn't need to configure Wine at all. You might (and I stress "might") need to configure some of the programs, but not really more than you'd have to on Windows.
Joe999
DCEmu Crazy Poster
DCEmu Crazy Poster

Post by Joe999 »

To compile it from source:
1. Download the tar of the source, and extract somewhere.
2. Go to the command line and get into that directory.
3. Type ./tools/wineinstall
4. Answer yes when it asks if you want to change to root when it's ready to install.

And provided you have all the correct development libraries installed, it should compile, install, and configure wine for you. Don't worry about the internet either. Wine should just use any existing connection that's active in Linux.
EvilSporkMan
God Of All Things Sporkish
God Of All Things Sporkish

Post by EvilSporkMan »

and next time try looking at the documentation included in the source package =P
Incidentally, consider using [url=www.gentoo.org/>Gentoo[/url], where "emerge wine" is your only worry. :P
You can go anywhere you want if you look serious and carry a clipboard.
bizzle

Post by bizzle »

Joe999 wrote:To compile it from source:
1. Download the tar of the source, and extract somewhere.
2. Go to the command line and get into that directory.
3. Type ./tools/wineinstall
4. Answer yes when it asks if you want to change to root when it's ready to install.

And provided you have all the correct development libraries installed, it should compile, install, and configure wine for you. Don't worry about the internet either. Wine should just use any existing connection that's active in Linux.
Maybe thats why wine wouldn't work for me. I changed over to the wine directory, after I extracted the tar. I then did ./configure, then it said to type 'make depend && make' or something. I'll try it again in a few minutes.
deminisma
DCEmu Freak
DCEmu Freak

Post by deminisma »

How do I install WINE?

Download the RPM of it.

http://www.rpmfind.net
toastman
Iron Fist of Justice
Iron Fist of Justice

Post by toastman »

And if he isn't on Red Hat or Mandrake?
No signature.
bizzle

Post by bizzle »

Well, I am getting Gentoo setup as we speak by the king himself, MrSiggler. I am on Slackware-Live right now, and he is setting it up via SSH.
ninja
DCEmu's own ninja
DCEmu's own ninja

Post by ninja »

damn, i forgot i posted this.

ya i got it installed. still cant get networking support with it, but ill look at it another day.
Delete my posting account.

Thanks.