Sega Handheld

Discussion of topics related to licensed games, software hacking/modification, prototypes, and development kits belongs here. Includes topics related to emulating the Dreamcast console on your computer or on another gaming console. Discussion of Reicast should go in the Official Reicast Forum.
Lord_Ball
DCEmu Veteran
DCEmu Veteran
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by Lord_Ball »

thinking of picking up a GG with the SMS convertor for around $20
$20 is well worth it, well I think so anyway, also if you have enough for an SP you could just get a regular GBA along with the GG. There are planty of Great games for Game Gear:

Shinobi 1 & 2 (Although not true to Shinobi Gameplay these are fun Ninja games)
Shining Force Sword of Hadyja (well however it's spelled)
Sonic games all 15 of them (ok so there were, I think 7)
plenty more too, just depends on what games you like!
Phantom
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by Phantom »

finite wrote:Actually, on a related note, does anyone know what the Game Gear SMS convertor was like? The game gear has a lower resolution screen, so I assume there is some sort of loss of quality going on there. (Presumably the edges are just cropped?)
I have an SMS converter, but I don't quite remember if it uses cropping or resizing. What I do remember is that PAL SMS games run way too fast on a Game Gear.
finite
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by finite »

Phantom wrote:I have an SMS converter, but I don't quite remember if it uses cropping or resizing. What I do remember is that PAL SMS games run way too fast on a Game Gear.
Damn, probably makes them run at 60Hz like their NTSC versions. That's one thing that really annoyed me when using VGM players (SMS music format)... they ran the music at 60Hz by default, so everything was too fast.

Well I'll look into it anyway, if I can win the auction it comes with the GG, the SMS convertor, a SMS game and a bunch of GG games aswell.
Lord_Ball wrote:$20 is well worth it, well I think so anyway, also if you have enough for an SP you could just get a regular GBA along with the GG.
Heh, don't think I'm willing to buy a GBA SP, sorta threw that in as a joke, they cost around $190 new here.
Phantom
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by Phantom »

finite wrote:Damn, probably makes them run at 60Hz like their NTSC versions.
Yeah.
finite wrote:Well I'll look into it anyway, if I can win the auction it comes with the GG, the SMS convertor, a SMS game and a bunch of GG games aswell.
Sounds good. The Game Gear is a nice machine. The screen is a bit hard on the eyes though.
Ian Micheal
Soul Sold for DCEmu
Soul Sold for DCEmu

Post by Ian Micheal »

I would agree it is some times hard on the eyes no were near Gameboys blur but not far behind it. When you have fully charged batterys it works a lot better. When there losing power it blurs more. LCD screens allways have blur.
Dreamcast forever!!!
Orange_Ribbon
DCEmu's Cheerleader

Post by Orange_Ribbon »

You want to know why I liked the Nomad...cause random games of Gauntlet 4 would break out. just carry a little AC adadtor, and a RFU and 2 controlers.

Wanna know why the GB out sold the GG (Take in acount I am not a fan boy, I love them all) TETRIS!!!!!! the GB Had Tetris!!!! I still have friends that are addicted to that game. in my hay day I would see tiles and see those dang blocks. It is still a Phenonimon!!!

Oh AZ my mom actualy loves the Game.Com cause of the Soilitare game on it. (She isn't in to video games and she thought it was nifty)
Ian Micheal
Soul Sold for DCEmu
Soul Sold for DCEmu

Post by Ian Micheal »

There was tetris on Game gear its called sega tetris. and it was in colour. plus the master system had tetris. It out sold it due to people being sheep and not trying any thing new. Like what is happening right now with the GP32 it is clearly better then a game boy advance but is not selling as well.
Dreamcast forever!!!
BlackAura
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by BlackAura »

The GG SMS converter seems to resize stuff to fit on the GG's screen, but you won't really notice it (the resize artefacts are minimal, and get blurred away by the LCD screen anyway). It does make things play at 60Hz, which is what the GG runs at, but I've gotten used to playing all those games at 60Hz anyway.
Ian Micheal
Soul Sold for DCEmu
Soul Sold for DCEmu

Post by Ian Micheal »

True and some of them play better with the extra speed. Sms convertor just lets you play about 240 carts more over night which is a good thing.
Dreamcast forever!!!
Phantom
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by Phantom »

BlackAura wrote:The GG SMS converter seems to resize stuff to fit on the GG's screen
Yeah, that's what I thought.
BlackAura wrote:It does make things play at 60Hz, which is what the GG runs at, but I've gotten used to playing all those games at 60Hz anyway.
I remember trying a PAL tennis game, it was completely unplayable. But maybe the NTSC version is unplayable as well. The LCD screen might simply be too blurry for a tennis game.
Phantom
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by Phantom »

Hollywood Hasney wrote:Not really, the GG died because the batteries sucked.
Yeah, the short battery life was probably the killer.

About the GP32, it's a very different machine from the GBA. The GBA has all kinds of nifty 2D acceleration features. The GP32 has none of that, but compensates this by having a fast CPU and more RAM. That doesn't automatically make it the better console though.
impetus
Team Screamcast
Team Screamcast

Post by impetus »

Game Boy did well for the same reason PS2 does well today - it's technically inferior but has superior support.
DeAthWaGer
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by DeAthWaGer »

I can't believe none of you GG fanboys said a damn thing about the Turbo Express. If you don't care about battery life (which I see you don't), then the TE puts you all to shame.

-same game cards that the system used, and less bulky then a Master system convertor and a cart sticking out
-equally nice TV adaptor
-built in turbo-fire switches...
Wheeling Bitch Circus - Keepin' it METAL since 1998:

http://www.myspace.com/wheelingbitchcircus
Ian Micheal
Soul Sold for DCEmu
Soul Sold for DCEmu

Post by Ian Micheal »

impetus wrote:Game Boy did well for the same reason PS2 does well today - it's technically inferior but has superior support.

Well battery life my Game boy has 4 aa battreys my game gear had 6 aa battreys one was colour one was b/w i did not mind a 5 hours on it

I think this is the true anwser by impetus.

Gp32 is far better machine the screen for one is a lot better.
Dreamcast forever!!!
DreamcastUK
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by DreamcastUK »

hhhmmm good games on the game gear..?? Panzer was good...
Orange_Ribbon
DCEmu's Cheerleader

Post by Orange_Ribbon »

Also Advertising, remember Space Balls People, it is all about the product placing. I remember GB comercials, BUT was there any GG comercials? Also at the time Nintendo had more of a hold of America than Sega did at the time (NES, and SNES) so people saw the Nintendo so parents saw the N on it and said Hey little billy will love that. Now did the GG sell better in Europe where Sega Master System had more of a hold? Also what came out first? GB or GG?

It is the same thing on why parrents buy apples for their kids. They use them in school, so they get them for home, and Apples stick. The ones at school crash more for me in one month and my PC at home does in a year!!!!!

Also with all this "Inferior" crud, guess what, people don't buy systems based on there specs, they buy them based on games! Going by that everyone should ditch DC Emulation and go for PS2, and X-Box Emulation cause they have better specs Ian and Imputius! You know that I had a PS and I have a PS2 with about 25 or so games. I have my DC with 15 to 20 games not counting the SGAs and what not. and I can only think of 5 xbox games I really want it for. JSRF, SB, Ninja Gaiden, DOA 3 and the vollyball game. I probily won't get one cause of this. I am getting a Cube this december cause I finally have the money. in ending this mini rant, compare companies, not specs. Mens Locker Room Mentality Sucks

PS I love you all
impetus
Team Screamcast
Team Screamcast

Post by impetus »

Orange_Ribbon -

You misread, dude - I agree with ya (on most parts). I have a PS2 and love it, love it, love it. The X-Box is, by most people's considerations, technically superior. Would I rather have one? Not a chance. Better support (games, variety, price, etc) wins out.

...and you spelled my name wrong...