Does the GUI affect performance?

Anything DreamSNES-related can be asked in this forum, such as general questions about the emulator, how to burn it, etc.
btrboyev
DCEmu Fast Newbie
DCEmu Fast Newbie
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by btrboyev »

I've noticed that the GUI is pretty complicated...anyways when you return from a game, I've noticed the GUI and music never stop running during gameplay. Listen to your mp3 file..go to a game and come back and the song will be further along. I doubt this is any issue but maybe :?:

Also this emu displays the screen in a different manner than nesterdc does, would this cause a slight hit in performance?
rapigator
DCEmu Fast Newbie
DCEmu Fast Newbie

Post by rapigator »

btrboyev wrote: Listen to your mp3 file..go to a game and come back and the song will be further along. I doubt this is any issue but maybe :?:
ive noticed this too, and that could be causing games to slow down
btrboyev
DCEmu Fast Newbie
DCEmu Fast Newbie

Post by btrboyev »

*bump*
I'm thinking the mp3 playback is hurting performance.

Techies please post opinions
JuddWack
DCEmu Mega Poster
DCEmu Mega Poster

Speed performance

Post by JuddWack »

I dunno if this is true, but Im pretty sure everyone will agree with me on this: I will go without a fancy menu, and hidden games, and menu music for even just a small speed performance...
jworg
DCEmu Cool Newbie
DCEmu Cool Newbie

Post by jworg »

I don't think Peter Bortas and Marcus Comstedt would like to spend all their time profiling assembler code. It is after all not their job to make DreamSNES, but a hobby.
Leif Stensson
DCEmu Newbie
DCEmu Newbie

Post by Leif Stensson »

There is no need to profile the assembled code to sort out this issue. When the SNES emulator runs, it's essentially stuck in a loop that calls S9xMainLoop over and over again, with marginal intervention by some maintenance functions. Neither S9xMainLoop nor the maintenance functions call the menu GUI, the hidden games or the MPEG player, so they have no effect on the emulation speed.
jworg
DCEmu Cool Newbie
DCEmu Cool Newbie

Post by jworg »

I know that. What I meant was that the reason for fancy screensavers and MP3 players is to have fun while developing. It is not likely that they are going to drop "fun" stuff in trade for optimizations.