Making an .exe file work on the Dreamcast

If you have any questions on programming, this is the place to ask them, whether you're a newbie or an experienced programmer. Discussion on programming in general is also welcome. We will help you with programming homework, but we will not do your work for you! Any porting requests must be made in Developmental Ideas.
Lego614
DCEmu Fast Newbie
DCEmu Fast Newbie
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Making an .exe file work on the Dreamcast

Post by Lego614 »

:!: Help! how could I make an .exe file work on the dreamcast.
bizzle

Post by bizzle »

You can't, unless you have the source code, and port it to Dreamcast. But doing that wouldn't be "making an .exe work on Dreamcast".. just getting the program the .exe is to run on Dreamcast. BTW, aren't you the same person who asked at Consolevision about a week ago?
doragasu
DCEmu Cool Poster
DCEmu Cool Poster

Post by doragasu »

Short answer:
You can't.

Long answer:

You can' run a DOS or Windows executable in the DC directly. Maybe somebody could code a DOS or Windows emulator for DC, but I doubt somebody is interested. And of course, if somebody would code it, it would be very slow.

Other way to run a PC program in the DC is to port the executable file to DC, but to do it you need source code and some programming skills (or somebody must do the work for you).

I suppose you aren't asking how to run a DC Windows CE .exe, because somebody who can create a DC WinCE executable, for sure knows how to run it.
Lego614
DCEmu Fast Newbie
DCEmu Fast Newbie

Post by Lego614 »

How could I get the source code then. It would be leagal since I made the game/.exe myself in Game Maker Or how could I make one of those Windows CE .exe files?

My programming skill - BASIC - 75%
- Anything Else - Zip, Nada, Zero (0%)
MDPBlackout
Mental DCEmu
Mental DCEmu

Post by MDPBlackout »

you cant get the source code from gamemaker afaik. I'm not sure but you cant just make a windows ce .exe and have it work
Lego614
DCEmu Fast Newbie
DCEmu Fast Newbie

Post by Lego614 »

Game Maker is a no code required drag and drop programming enviornment - I don't know how to do that. The adress is
http://www.cs.uu.nl/people/markov/gmaker/index.html
df0notfound
DCEmu Uncool Newbie
DCEmu Uncool Newbie

Post by df0notfound »

your out of luck unless someone made an interpreter for game makers system seen as i dont think it truely makes an independent exe file
Lego614
DCEmu Fast Newbie
DCEmu Fast Newbie

Post by Lego614 »

you can run it without gamemaker - I sent a game to my freind.
I also tried putting the game in DevC+++ and I just got junk :cry:
MDPBlackout
Mental DCEmu
Mental DCEmu

Post by MDPBlackout »

thats because it's already compiled. If you could just do that people would be able to port lots more games to the dreamcast
Lego614
DCEmu Fast Newbie
DCEmu Fast Newbie

Post by Lego614 »

well, how could I get the source code then? :o
BlueCrab
The Crabby Overlord
The Crabby Overlord

Post by BlueCrab »

You can't just get the source to something, unless it is open-source, or you wrote it (in a language like C or C++).
Lego614
DCEmu Fast Newbie
DCEmu Fast Newbie

Post by Lego614 »

I am utterly confused. Please help! :o :o :o
Mr. Stabby
DCEmu Junior
DCEmu Junior

Post by Mr. Stabby »

... Learn to program. In C or something, not with GameMaker. A .exe file is a program that has been compiled from the source code, and you cannot just throw a exe into the DC and play it. Basically, you won't be getting that game on the DC. What about CodeWarrior? Does it provide the source? ... Can you tell I have no programming experience other than scripting in Morrowind?
Lego614
DCEmu Fast Newbie
DCEmu Fast Newbie

Post by Lego614 »

What is code warrior?
:o
DreamservVMU
DC Browser Guy

Post by DreamservVMU »

Code Warrior(or a form of it)is used in the official dreamcast development kit.

and it is downloadable from the Codewarrior homepage.(well,the sh4 version.)

http://www.metrowerks.com/mw/news/default.asp?PR=19

check the downloads section at the website above,last i checked the sh4 version of the codewarrior package was available,i think it was for a try out or free download,coulda been pay then download..cant remember.
Storminator16
DCEmu Veteran
DCEmu Veteran

Post by Storminator16 »

Wow, don't confuse the guy. He doesn't need to know anything about Code Warrior. Since I like recruiting folks to learn C, take a gander at this:

"C is a highly useful, robust, and flexible programming. Before a program can be executed by a computer, it must undergo a transformation from a human-readable format to something that can be understood by the computer. The source code is the C program that is written by a human using a text editor (or an IDE like Turbo C, Dev-C++, or Visual Studios). C source code is easily written and read by humans and can be translated into a machine code that can be executed by a computer (i.e., x86 assembly). Source code is converted to executable code (which is useful to the computer) by a process called compiling. All source code in C usually has a ".c" suffix appended to the filenameto indicate that the source code is written in C. The source code can be transformed into executable code by using a C compiler (gcc, Turbo C, Dev-C++, Visual C/C++). "

To finish that off, let me just say that Game Maker and the like (RPG Maker, MyMomaIsAFatHo Maker) do not mean that you can program games. They are easy tools that are only useful to people for their own home use. And, not robust at all ;)

If you aren't interested in making games, check out this cool link here:
http://www.dcemulation.org/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=28240
DreamservVMU
DC Browser Guy

Post by DreamservVMU »

lol,yeah Codewarrior IS a step to far for our friend here at this point heh..but HEY he asked lol.
Lego614
DCEmu Fast Newbie
DCEmu Fast Newbie

Post by Lego614 »

oh.. sorry I forgot to come back. I gave up on this a while ago. I am working on other stuff. Like learning C...
EvilSporkMan
God Of All Things Sporkish
God Of All Things Sporkish

Post by EvilSporkMan »

I suggest gcc. :P
You can go anywhere you want if you look serious and carry a clipboard.
Ian Micheal
Soul Sold for DCEmu
Soul Sold for DCEmu

Post by Ian Micheal »

GCC commandline and notepage if your really on some junk pc. You can make a DOS EXE work on the dreamcast. Any one seen my ultima IV port it runs the Dos EXE for the intro, its is a interpreter for the Ultima IV EXE written by the pc coder works on the dreamcast to so . You could but he totaly knows every bit of code in the DOS EXE.
Dreamcast forever!!!