Music for Homebrew Games

This forum is for discussion pertaining to homebrew and indie software for the Dreamcast, such as homebrew games, emulators/interpreters, and other homebrew software/applications. Porting requests and developmental ideas are not to be made here; you can make those here. If you need any help burning discs for homebrew software, this is the place to ask as well.
nakamichi
DCEmu Super Poster
DCEmu Super Poster
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by nakamichi »

I hate pattern based sequencing too :) Patterns SUCK!
I use ONLY the Piano Roll MIDI sequencing mode.That's why I prefer this program over all others.You can import/export MIDI files and edit them in this mode.
You gotta use that weird Playlist bar sequencer at the end,but you'll get used to it quickly.
The piano roll sequencing in Fruity Studio is the best,fastest and most efficient I've seen so far.
Only the JP sequencer for the DC has a bit more effective piano roll sequencer (read,much faster editing with a joypad),but it's EXTREMELY LIMITED :(
nakamichi
DCEmu Super Poster
DCEmu Super Poster

Post by nakamichi »

aced411,your last track and "Rain" are your best tracks yet.
So what do you use: Reason or Reason 2.0 ? :)

It's nice when you got competition :) You tend to make things better and better.
Just wait and listen to what I have to offer.
It's very different,but equally impressive or even better :)

Just if there's anyone who actually needs music for a homebrew game now...
OneThirty8
Damn Dirty Ape
Damn Dirty Ape

Post by OneThirty8 »

I know I'll need some music for a game, but probably not right away. I'm in the early planning stages of my next project. I'm working on some story ideas and stuff right now, but I know it will have a dark theme and may feature graphic violence.
DJ Samba D
DCEmu Veteran
DCEmu Veteran

Post by DJ Samba D »

nakamichi wrote:DJ Samba D,just to note: the hi-hats sound terrible (very sharp) Soften those hats or use better samples :)
Use more effects and use 'em wisely (compressor,reverb,delay,panning,...)
And,uh,I'm tired of "DJ" stuff...I don't do that anymore.
Composing and playing the piano is a lot better than mixing :)
Thanks for the feedback something that no-one else has done on several other forums I post on :) - I really need to stop limiting myself and at least get some more samples! :P
Jeeba Jabba, On Pinoy, wrote:First, Learn how to speak english and spell. Second, Yes you have the right of Freedom of Speech, So do I. I can get pissed at you're ignorant self for saying dumber things than Miko or Great One... Now thats low
nakamichi
DCEmu Super Poster
DCEmu Super Poster

Post by nakamichi »

"aced411,your last track and "Rain" are your best tracks yet"
the last track...errr...I was referring to the track "fuse".
The Last track is very good,but when the second part comes (the part which is a lot louder) it's not good...just the first part rocks :)
nakamichi
DCEmu Super Poster
DCEmu Super Poster

Post by nakamichi »

(Fight to the death)
aced411
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

music

Post by aced411 »

nakamichi:
Thanks for the feedback. I like compliments like anyone else, and I also like constructive criticism. I'm using Reason 2.5
Reason 1.0 sounded pretty flat but there are effects and instruments in the 2.0 series that make it more professional. I can see where you're coming from, regarding you comment about the second part of "fight to the death". My next track I'm working on I promised myself I wouldn't burst out into a fast part. I've always had a habit of doing that, and recently I've been over doing it.
Insane DCEmu

new track

Post by aced411 »

New track up.
"the landing"

Very ambient electronic futuristic type music

http://rebuild.iuma.com
Soul Sold for DCEmu

Post by Ian Micheal »

http://www.geocities.com/wonderwallimr/ ... ERWALL.mp3

cover of the oasis song
===============================================

right click save as some gurl loved this one so ive put it up again.

Enjoy delete etc its live first take no practice.

I have fully written by me video game remix tunes that once were on triad website for music
Dreamcast forever!!!
nakamichi
DCEmu Super Poster
DCEmu Super Poster

Post by nakamichi »

To IM(R)eaper: Ian Micheal?? Is that your REAL name? Micheal or Michael ? :)

How have you changed your nickname,Reaper?
I wanna change mine,too :) I'm tired of this nick I have now.Wanna change it to something better,like Synth Dynamics or something else :)

Were you singing this a few years ago or now? Sounds great,but you need a bit more practice.
The timing is a bit better now,but it's still not good at times :)

And,who performed the music in the background for all of your covers? :)

To aced411: "The Landing" sound much better. More ambiental,more relaxing :)
No fast parts and less noises and ugly distortion.The RAP influence is still noticeable,though.

If I only had Reason 2.5...there is an awesome reverb simulator that I could use to the max :) I need just a good reverb simulator and that's all I need.Fruity Studio 4's reverb is kinda bad for my standards.

Reason 2.0 or 2.5 is worth to have.Reason 1.0 sucked bad.The sound was too damn DRY,so reprocessing was required.

I like "natural"-sounding synths which sound "full",not "dry".
The DC Yamaha synth sounds "natural",but the quality is low,so reprocessing and resampling is needed to sound good :(

And,BTW, Fruity Studio has a good SoundFont player that I actually find handy...
...for using lo-quality game-dumped sample instruments from SNES,Genesis,GB,NES,etc.,but can also sample a Yamaha DX,Roland or KORG synth and use it with MIDI control :)
nakamichi
DCEmu Super Poster
DCEmu Super Poster

Post by nakamichi »

FREE SOFTWARE FOR BEGINNERS(?) : :)
-------------------------------------------------------
for those who really can't buy music software or hardware :)

Here's free PC programs for total beginners to use.
These suck bad,but if you're a total beginner they're EASY and fun to play with :)

Hammer (anyone remember this one? from Bram Bos)
Tuareg Tu 2 (his second creation)
Acid Demo :) Sux,but it's good for beginners
Nero WAVE Editor (part of the Nero Demo for editing .wavs).And it's damn good.
CD EX (for ripping and encoding). It's very GOOOD!
Total Recorder (for recording everything you can't record with the crappy Sound Recorder included with windows)
Your soundcard may have a hardware or software MIDI synth,that's some more FREE MIDI instruments you can use with MIDI software.

Use these as they're free,whether they're freeware or shareware :)

Oh,and you can download FREE vintage samples from http://www.fruityloops.com from all the OLD Fruity Loops versions released before.

You can also browse the web and find some FREE SoundFonts which can be useful for Creative SoundBlaster AWE32,64,128,Live,Audigy and Audigy 2 sound cards.
Or,for use in the FruityLoops or Fruity Studio demo :)

If you combine all demo,freeware and shareware software and use every feature,you can create music with your PC without paying a dime for software :D
Ian Micheal
Soul Sold for DCEmu
Soul Sold for DCEmu

Post by Ian Micheal »

Y

Yeah Ian micheal is my real name most music is yamaha keyboard by me that was a few years ago as well. thanks I think one day with pratice i might just do clubs
Dreamcast forever!!!
aced411
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by aced411 »

wonderwall...sounds like it was recorded in a club, with the noise and muffled instruments. Was that a live recording? Not really videogame related but oh well.
Insane DCEmu

Post by aced411 »

The RAP influence is still noticeable,though.
I don't know where you get that. I don't even listen to much rap. Listen to the beats in rap and you'll hear something much different (maybe with similar timing)
DCEmu Super Poster

Post by nakamichi »

OK,hip hop and Drum'n'Bass then.
Same stuff,same or similar patterns but with faster BPM :) .
DnB is just speeded up hip hop with added "spices" :)
aced411
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

dnb

Post by aced411 »

or maybe rap is slowed down drum n bass with less spice :?:
j/k :lol:
Insane DCEmu

Post by aced411 »

FREE SOFTWARE FOR BEGINNERS(?) :
-------------------------------------------------------
for those who really can't buy music software or hardware

Here's free PC programs for total beginners to use.
These suck bad,but if you're a total beginner they're EASY and fun to play with
You forgot the badass freeware by Dominic Mazzoni: Audacity. An audio editor with built in effects, support for vst plugins, and simple multitracking capabilities. It's still being improved to this day. It's come a long way since it first began.
http://audacity.sourceforge.net/

Also with very little money one can easily buy two of the best inexpensive programs available. Goldwave the extremely versatile audio editor has come a long way. It can do almost anything sound forge can do now days for only $40 http://www.goldwave.com

And then the most amazing inexpensive multitrack recorder I EVER owned is "n-track". Check it out. For only $40 (or $50 I think for 24 bit support) you can own studio software that rivals Nuendo and Sonar. I paid once and I've been getting free updates for over a year now. unlimited audio tracks, vst support, directx support, native effects, live processing, rewire, slick interface, non destuctive editing, and so much more. http://www.n-track.com

If you can buy only one make it n-track. it can take care of the whole recording session from beginning to end.
DCEmu Super Poster

Post by nakamichi »

I was talking about free programs,without paying a single buck :)
But if you're talking about spending some cash,then:

For "only" 99$ you can get Fruity Studio FruityLoops edition that comes with a LIFETIME upgrade license. That's a steal of a deal :)
Just make sure you have a some CDs full o' smples and you're ready.

But,if you need a good BASIC wave editor with some advanced functions for the low,low price of 0$,the Nero wave Editor included in Nero 6 is more than what you need :)
It even has time scaling and other major effects Sound Forge has.
Just try it.It's quick and easy for beginners.Not many options to confuse you,and does the job well.

If you're looking for a good sound card for cheap,get a SB Live! 5.1 while you can still find one.It's dirt-cheap.

You don't even need to buy a sound card if you have SoundMAX on-board audio on your motherboard :)
You'll hear what quality I can get from a "crappy" On-Board SoundMAX audio chipset :) You'll believe it was made using a Creative Audigy card :P

Or if you need a good MIDI hardware synth,buy a Yamaha sound card for cheap.It has a built-in hardware XG wavetable synth that's a treat to listen to :)
DJ Geki
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by DJ Geki »

Sorry I haven't been in this thread a little earlier. I don't usually browse the DC homebrew Apps forum.

A great source for semi-free stuff for making music (Samples, sequencers, tools, etc.) is a UK mag called Computer Music. They have a sister mag called Future Music which is more focused on DTT. Recently, CM ran a special edition of their mag which was entirely focused on starting from scratch. Great read for any beginner, plus the mag comes bundled with a CD that has a complete, FREE sequencer. It's got DX-instrument support, and it's a pretty nice package overall for the price (i.e., the price of the mag: ~$14.00), plus it comes with more than 100 samples. There are also some samples on there for Dance eJay 4 (or tecnho eJay...can't remember which).

The CDs for the regular mags always have great stuff on there...sometimes ranging from absolute GOBS of samples (in excess of 300 pro-recorded) to full applications. And they have awesome tutorials that are very in-depth. I highly recommend Computer Music for anyone that is either a veteran or a newcomer to the scene. It can be a bit expensive to purchase in terms of a magazine, but it's worth the price (especially when you consider how much those damn sample CDs cost by themselves!).
-Love 'n Bass, Peace 'n Space-
Roddy T. - DJ Geki
Cryptic Allusion Games / Cryptic Allusion, LLC
http://www.cagames.com/
nakamichi
DCEmu Super Poster
DCEmu Super Poster

Post by nakamichi »

There are tons of mags in my local store,they have CM and FM and 100s more,but never bought a single issue (too expensive) :)

Good for DJs,but I really don't need it :)

BTW,nice to see DJ Geki in this topic.
Now if only the creator of the DreamSNES music comes here to talk in this forum...