Xrick update - final OUT NOW!

This forum is for discussion pertaining to homebrew and indie software for the Dreamcast, such as homebrew games, emulators/interpreters, and other homebrew software/applications. Porting requests and developmental ideas are not to be made here; you can make those here. If you need any help burning discs for homebrew software, this is the place to ask as well.
Ian Micheal
Soul Sold for DCEmu
Soul Sold for DCEmu
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/

Xrick update - final OUT NOW!

Post by Ian Micheal »

released in the spirit of the GNU GPL.

Xrick update - final

Full DC control, even improvments over the real pc version! You can press up&right to jump up&right, same for up&left to jump UP&left, Down&right for crawling down&right, Down&left for crawling down&left! Just like on the commodore 64. All of these are not on the pc version like i have it. Improves game play ten fold and gives it that console feel it lacks on a keyboard.

It's finshed now all movement mapped to the controler and improvments over the real pc version.

To shoot hold the (A) button in and press (UP)

you see when playing its a cool game spent about 9 hours all night working on it hope metafox likes it and you lot.

http://www.imrtech.mirrorz.com/ you can get it here
Last edited by Ian Micheal on Wed Aug 27, 2003 3:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dreamcast forever!!!
Ian Micheal
Soul Sold for DCEmu
Soul Sold for DCEmu

Post by Ian Micheal »

I forget ive been up all night There are no kos calls it will still compile for PC and improve the pc version.
Dreamcast forever!!!
ragnarok2040
DC Developer
DC Developer
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by ragnarok2040 »

Why did you edit MetaFox's port without even asking his permission, for god's sake? I mean, he put all his time and energy into getting it working on Dreamcast, and what do you do? You steal, yes, STEAL his project right out from under him! Bleh, it disgusts me seeing other people's projects stolen. Plus, why did you add the IMRTech logo to the port, it wasn't an IMRTech creation.

You should be ashamed of yourself!

P.S.
Use a spell checker for christ's sake!
Last edited by ragnarok2040 on Wed Aug 27, 2003 4:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tr0ll
DCEmu Freak
DCEmu Freak

Post by tr0ll »

That's pretty classy. Now add in the part about how the only port you ever made crashed, and that this is just MetaFox's port with some DMA instead of raw byte-by-byte memory copying for the graphics display. Thx.
R.I.P. Dimebag Darrell :(
farrell2k
DCEmu Fan
DCEmu Fan

Post by farrell2k »

ragnarok2040 wrote:Why did you edit MetaFox's port without even asking his permission, for god's sake? I mean, he put all his time and energy into getting it working on Dreamcast, and what do you do? You steal, yes, STEAL his project right out from under him! Bleh, it disgusts me seeing other people's projects stolen.

P.S.
lol. I don't think there any spelling mistakes. I a hard time piecing grammar together his, though ;-)

Nice work, reaper & metafox. I can't wait to give it a shot.
tr0ll
DCEmu Freak
DCEmu Freak

Post by tr0ll »

It's a shame that you credited reaper first. I fear that this is going to happen all too often in the future, and it's sad. :/
R.I.P. Dimebag Darrell :(
MetaFox
Adventure Gamer
Adventure Gamer

Post by MetaFox »

Since ragnarok2040 and tr0ll are coming to my defense, I guess I'll have to speak my thoughts on the matter:

It's great that Reaper got speed up, and controller support. Only a few things urk me -

1. It seems like with every release that Reaper made I was getting less and less recognition for the initial port
2. Seeming as if I didn't put a lot of work into it as well
3. The downplay of my controller additions
4. The IMRTech logo in the newest version. I just found it a bit classless, and seeming to want to cut me out on credit for porting it.

That said, xRick does play nice now with Reaper's additions. Also, xRick is open source, and I didn't code it. So, I can't really get upset at someone extending my source. Just that a little bit more than acknowledgement in the docs and an offhand reference to it being my port you extended in your first release would have been nice.
curt_grymala
Theme Inducer
Theme Inducer

Post by curt_grymala »

In Reaper's defense, I am certain he had no ill intentions when he did what he did. I agree that it may appear that way, but Reaper seems like a stand-up guy.

Here are my thoughts on why he did what he did:

1) He did mention that MetaFox made the original port in his original news post. Reaper assumes that people read all of his news when they visit his site, so he figured that people would see the original credit he gave to MetaFox. Other than that, it was probably just a simple mistake. I am certain he will rectify the situation when he becomes aware of it.

2) I think your second point was just a continuation of your first point.

3) I don't really have anything to say on this subject, except that I believe, again, that this was a simple mistake on his part.

4) I am pretty sure he included the IMR logo (as he mentions in the Readme file) simply to make people aware that this is a homebrew port, and that it is not under license from Sega.

On another note, I would like you to know that I gave you both credit for this port when I made the SBI of it. As I said before, I am sure this was a simple oversight on Reaper's part, and that he will rectify the situation when he becomes aware of it.

With that said, I think you all should also recognize the fact that there are at least four of us (and probably quite a few more) that were aware of the fact that this was work done by both of you, before this post was made. Also, I would like to note that there are many of us out there that appreciate all of the work you, Reaper, BlackAura, and too many more to name, have done for this scene. You are really the ones keeping the DC alive. All praise goes to every single one of you. :mrgreen:
DCHelp - A Newbie's Best Friend
DC Evolution - Disc Images
DreamZone Forums

I Refuse To Help Anyone That Says They've Tried Everything.
ElPed2000
DCEmu Newbie
DCEmu Newbie

Post by ElPed2000 »

You obviously don't know Reaper that well
APE
Newsposter
Newsposter

Post by APE »

Adding a logo to ones stuff has never to my knowledge been used to make it obvious to most that it was homebrew and not offical. DColem used it to say pike technology was used, whatever that was. Reaper was probably trying to take entire credit for some work instead of some stuff he added on/tweaked. Not that he did, but I wouldn't put it beyond him.
A few fries short of a happy meal.
ZacMc
DCEmu Super Fan
DCEmu Super Fan

Post by ZacMc »

Why does it say "Dream Midi is neither produce by nor under license from Sega Enterprises, LTD" before xRick starts :?
The IMRTech logo in the newest version. I just found it a bit classless...
I definitely agree with MetaFox.
politoe
DCEmu Cool Poster
DCEmu Cool Poster

Post by politoe »

Straight from the readme
MetaFox ported it i teamed up and wrote the Dc control driver and Turned the speed up to full complete game very good one at that i would say best ported hombrew game for dreamcast.
and
Thanks ("no one can survive in a vacuum NOt EVEN ME")
------
*MEtAFOX Porting this better then i did.
* SDL by Sam Latinga and the SDL opensource team.
* Black aura ' kos raw image loading routine
* Warmtoe ' maim source and support
* Blue crab ' SDL help and support
* Bero ' Porter of SDL to dreamcast
* Dan potter ' kos free tools an /os for dreamcast
APE
Newsposter
Newsposter

Post by APE »

Seriously though, the average dc homebrew user doesn't usually read the readme unless they have a problem. So they're going to assume the logo means that person made it, they like it, they worship said logo. Remeber, its all a theory.
A few fries short of a happy meal.
MetaFox
Adventure Gamer
Adventure Gamer

Post by MetaFox »

Politoe. Note what I said:
Just that a little bit more than acknowledgement in the docs and an offhand reference to it being my port you extended in your first release would have been nice.
I know that already. It just seems that outside of the docs he's gotten colder to the fact that he modified my source, and the IMRTech logo in the release seems to indicate that it's an IMRTech only release.

And also as I said, it's not my source - so it's not really a big deal. Bigorno made it - I just ported it. He's the one who deserves the credit for the game - not me and not Reaper. I'm just venting my thoughts.
Warmachine
DCEmu Veteran
DCEmu Veteran

Post by Warmachine »

Um so what happened? Did Reaper like not put your name in the credits or something?
:headbang: Dreamcast :headbang:
Ian Micheal
Soul Sold for DCEmu
Soul Sold for DCEmu

Post by Ian Micheal »

tr0ll wrote:
That's pretty classy. Now add in the part about how the only port you ever made crashed, and that this is just MetaFox's port with some DMA instead of raw byte-by-byte memory copying for the graphics display. Thx.
No its not using DMA wrong as normal ITS gnu gpl that was from the authors homepage so yes its was classy you dont seem to know what open source means and Yes the port i did months ago crashed a lot
but run ok .
ragnarok2040 wrote:Why did you edit MetaFox's port without even asking his permission, for god's sake? I mean, he put all his time and energy into getting it working on Dreamcast, and what do you do? You steal, yes, STEAL his project right out from under him! Bleh, it disgusts me seeing other people's projects stolen. Plus, why did you add the IMRTech logo to the port, it wasn't an IMRTech creation.

P.S.
Again you dont know what open source gnu GPL means ether you cant steal any ones project notice he released the source what was that for party snaks? The logo is to make sure its not sold like the last few thing i did were also metafox is credited in the read me grow up learn that a port is a port and he did not code it. Any one can mod my version i left it out of the bin i could of romdisked it so again take your insults and dont be silly to real coders you look silly i GNU GPL code does not need premission from any one to be worked on, Its not a metafox creation ether.

MetaFox wrote:Awesome - good going Reaper. Saves me from taking my precious time away from my other projects. :)

Your SDL_Fast library rocks by the way - it's amazing how fast you got xRick when you compiled with it.
You dont need to ask to work on gnu gpl code here is my premission
Pluss the fact i made 4 versions people i would of thought read the news
on my site. I also credited the pc author in my readme

Metafox or me is not the coder GNU GPL means any one can mod it if you include the source did i do that ? i think this is an outrage really and metafox i was sleepy it even says dreammidi it was my fade routine
from dream midi your in the readme what gives

Hmm Strange people! is all i have to say. I gave credit i worked 9 hours on it . Its gnu gpl its open source its a easy port i had done it about 4 months ago but never bothed to release not like it is hard port i credited metafox. I was really sleepy I had worked hard on it gezzz!. If i really want to do it i would of Open source is just that really i was not expecting this rubbish. It is right in the readme metafox made the public port first. I cant help it if i can do it better i can thats what open source is about. If you dont want some one to work on GPL code then dont release the source. I Now believe in open and source and sharing the edited.

To be Really fair thanks metafox for releasing the source as the author did gnu gpl read the lic HMM.

Plus theres nothing stoping metafox recompiling my source and puting out a release is there ?

I give credt to metafox if you dont like it dont use it.

My logo was to make legal fact it was not under lic from sega as you can see it was sleepy as it says dream midi

You people make baby jesus cry!

MY stuff had been sold for money i was trying to make clear it was hombrew so they would not sell it my version of it is that i wrote the control code metafox has his version slower and kos control there pretty much not the same taking peoples work its not metafoxs or my work its the pc authors work OF whom i credited to metafox and the pc author more then 10 times in posts please explain.

Give it up !
Last edited by Ian Micheal on Wed Aug 27, 2003 9:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dreamcast forever!!!
Orange_Ribbon
DCEmu's Cheerleader

Post by Orange_Ribbon »

can I make a silly sugestion here and try to moderate instead of picking a side since I like both of your work.

How about a Logo is made for Metafox (by himself of course) and it displayed on the finished product.

or

merge said logos to a different Logo that takes prominant parts of each logo then says on the bottom made by Metafox (insert webpage here) and Reaper of IMR (insert webpage here)

I hope this helps. just remember all this time fighting could be used to play more video games, or if you a programmer, make some cool releases. (specially of the SGA kind ) :lol:
Ian Micheal
Soul Sold for DCEmu
Soul Sold for DCEmu

Post by Ian Micheal »

Dude the logo can be moded as well its not built into the bin im going to do that later update the readme and intro to include metafox. .

Picking on me for good coding is strange its gnu GPL for gods sake The people that jumped on me seem like they were just waiting for me to mess up or something. it doesnt surprise me :twisted: :roll:
Dreamcast forever!!!
farrell2k
DCEmu Fan
DCEmu Fan

Post by farrell2k »

Nah, you did good, reaper. BTW, has anyone been able to play this. It locks up at the beginning of the first stage.
ZacMc
DCEmu Super Fan
DCEmu Super Fan

Post by ZacMc »

has anyone been able to play this. It locks up at the beginning of the first stage
It works for me. Did you include the data.zip file?