I'm scared to apply for college...

Talk about anything and everything not related to this site or the Dreamcast, such as news stories, political discussion, or anything else. If there's not a forum for it, it belongs in here. Also, be warned that personal insults, threats, and spamming will not be tolerated.
CupNoodle
Jim Dandy!
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

I'm scared to apply for college...

Post by CupNoodle »

Is anyone else entering their senior year dreading the college application process? My G.P.A. is decent not great, i know its above a 3.0, but my SAT score SUCKED, 1050. I'm looking to go into the computer field (yea jobs are hard to find right now but oh well) or electrical engineering. Is anyone else fearful of the future?
NiGHTSFTP
Mental DCEmu
Mental DCEmu

Post by NiGHTSFTP »

ouch. 1050 is not very good.

But, it is a college score (technically, but not impressive). Apply to many colleges, it cant hurt.

Im so fearful I took the psat and not the SAT yet. (I got an 1190 on the PSAT. THATS horrible).
Signatures images may be no greater than cock pixels high by dick pixels wide in dimension and balls kilobytes in filesize. Multiple images may be wang, but in total they may not exceed the johnson specifications.
Narcissus
TAFKA Token99
TAFKA Token99

Post by Narcissus »

Take the SAT again... if it's just now going to be your senior year, you should definitely give it another shot. Don't be afraid of the future, life gets better as you get older...
Last edited by Narcissus on Thu Aug 14, 2003 10:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The only limitations we have, are the ones we set for ourselves...
Orange_Ribbon
DCEmu's Cheerleader

Post by Orange_Ribbon »

I wasn't scared cause I hated HS with a passion, I had 2 classes I liked, and that was it. Basically I saw it as any place but here. trust me college is a great place and time. You go to classes you want to be at (after a few you get out of the way everyone has to do) and it is nothing but good friends, and good times, and deadlines.
arrowhead
DCEmu Super Fan
DCEmu Super Fan

Post by arrowhead »

Dude, dont freak out. And by the way 1050 is not bad at all on your SATs. I only scored 1150 on mine and I was accepted to a lot of great schools. My GPA wasnt much higher than 3.7 so I wouldnt worry about getting in to a good school. Just make sure you send in your applications VERY soon after they start accepting them. I just mean do not wait until the week before they are due to send them in. And like NiGHTSFTP said, if you have the money to apply to many colleges, do it. I applied to at least 6 good private schools and 4 state schools. Mostly just to see if I got in. It can be quite fun. Dont stress. college is great. You pick your classes, when and what days you want to take them. It starts to suck though around your junior year when you only have like 16 classes left but your registration date sucks a$$ and you cant get your courses. Eeen at that point most professors are cool and will let you add if you have upper class standing and are past grad checks.

Chill out and really enjoy your senior year of highschool. Spend time with your buddies and the chicks, it gets harder to see your buddies after graduation. But be safe, dont go insane. :D
Shut that cunts mouth before I come over there and fuck start her head
Firthy2002
DCEmu Super Poster
DCEmu Super Poster

Post by Firthy2002 »

Yeah, just enjoy your final year at high school. Like arrowhead said, it'll be hard to see your friends after you've graduated, so tie up any loose ends you may have with people. (You can probably guess what I mean by that :wink: )

And university will be the best experience you'll ever have. New friends, new environment (if you move away from home) and new challenges. The pros definitely outweigh the cons of going to university.
"The video game market is troubled..." - |darc|
---
My LiveJournal
---
compacho
DCEmu Cool Poster
DCEmu Cool Poster

Post by compacho »

Well, u really don't have to go to college. Well, if u wanna learn more about computers then yes you should apply. But if u know more about computers than the average teenager then i suggest working for yourself and offer technical services for family, neighbors, and friends. Maybe oneday u could open your own computer shop. I wish I knew more about the hardware aspect of computers cause where I live not many people can say that they can re-install windows or install simple things as RAM.
Veggita2099
Janitor 2nd Class
Janitor 2nd Class

Post by Veggita2099 »

long as it don't cost any money to apply you don't have anything to lose. The math section of the ACT screwed me over, Id have had around a 25 on it but my math score was really low.
Wii number: 1227 6854 1080 3665
JDUK
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by JDUK »

Not sure where u based Jabba but in the UK education is about as easy as tying your shoe laces.

I drank and skived and chased girls through highschool/college getting no GCSE's from ages 14 - 17.
Dragged my heels through crappy low paid jobs through my 18th to 20th years.
went back to and dropped out of college media studies at age 21.
And here I am 22 (23 in 6 days :D ) Just going into a Digital Entertainment Degree (Computer Science focusing on Games Development, Maya, MDSMax, C++, AI, etc, etc)

Im also happily engaged to a raven haired beauty with the body of Jessica Rabbit, who I met after returning to college. Have a car,loads of consoles, a top spec PC,wide screen TV & 3 credit cards ;) So life works out for the best I guess.

Don't worry Jabba, just chill out :D if a slacker like me can make it then the future is looking bright.
AmadeusZull
Soul Sold for DCEmu
Soul Sold for DCEmu

Post by AmadeusZull »

dude thats no biggie. i scored 1000 on my SAT (yes exactly a 1000) and by next year you are looking at Computer Scientist. now the fear i have is selecting which grad school to go to.

i never heard of a general entertainment degree. sounds fun.

I am no longer an ACE@ite. Never will I kiss his feet is what I don't. And that I don't, is good I do.
Lunchbox
1337 Food Container
1337 Food Container

Post by Lunchbox »

i know how you feel, i'm starting college in a few weeks. i'm in a computer programming program
Wagh
Wagh

Post by Wagh »

I got a 1090.. which imho sucked. I'ma go back and take it again once more before I send off to colleges.
Bush and Hussein together in bed
Giving H-E-A-D head
Y'all motherfuckers heard what we said
Billions made and millions dead
curt_grymala
Theme Inducer
Theme Inducer

Post by curt_grymala »

If you haven't taken the SAT's at least three times, you really should. It can't hurt you. The colleges look at the highest SAT scores, not the latest ones.
DCHelp - A Newbie's Best Friend
DC Evolution - Disc Images
DreamZone Forums

I Refuse To Help Anyone That Says They've Tried Everything.
SuperMegatron
DCEmu User with No Life
DCEmu User with No Life

Post by SuperMegatron »

Dude dont worrie about getting into a good school I dropped out in 10th grade went to community college and now I got to University of Richmond its a top rated school in va Hell i cant spell do math or anything and i have 2 A.A.S degrees already and im halfway through my bach. dont go into the computer field though i got a A.A.S in computer electronic technology and I am a A+ certified computer tech I cant even get a job at bestbuy they want 2 years of experience just for harddrive swappers and they only pay 9-10 bucks a hour stick to the social sciences psy is good and easy and its a versitle degree that gives you a lot of job options
CupNoodle
Jim Dandy!

Post by CupNoodle »

SuperMegatron wrote:Dude dont worrie about getting into a good school I dropped out in 10th grade went to community college and now I got to University of Richmond its a top rated school in va Hell i cant spell do math or anything and i have 2 A.A.S degrees already and im halfway through my bach. dont go into the computer field though i got a A.A.S in computer electronic technology and I am a A+ certified computer tech I cant even get a job at bestbuy they want 2 years of experience just for harddrive swappers and they only pay 9-10 bucks a hour stick to the social sciences psy is good and easy and its a versitle degree that gives you a lot of job options
I dont really care about the lack of jobs in the computer industry i want to study for something that will make me happy in life...as for psychology, ive considered it, but am still leaning strongly towards comp sci or electronic engineering.
Dew
Mayks now sents!
Mayks now sents!

Post by Dew »

I'm 15 and I already kinda have a job, I actually repair and upgrade my friend's and relative's PCs and usually make $20 to $40 a job. Nothing much really, but it's something.

Another thing I found interesting was last year, I was a freshman and they made us start making our resumes! They told us to put down practically everything, I mentioned to them that I made a game once on RPG Maker 2000 (It was good as far as RPG Maker 2000 games go, I plan to have it available for download soon) and they told me to put that on my resume! And I even told them that it was very simple to do and they just said that it looks good on there.

I think most of the people on here will go pretty far in life seeing how some of us know C++ ,are very 1337 with PCs, and program their own software.