LOTS AND LOTS of HELP ON LINUX!!!

Talk about anything and everything not related to this site or the Dreamcast, such as news stories, political discussion, or anything else. If there's not a forum for it, it belongs in here. Also, be warned that personal insults, threats, and spamming will not be tolerated.
zickfun
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

LOTS AND LOTS of HELP ON LINUX!!!

Post by zickfun »

Yes, I FINALLY made the change to Linux. After hours of trying to get my soft modem to work (lucky me to succed), I tried installing the NVIDIA drivers (latest ones) because I tried Tux Racer and it was laging like crap with the packaged drivers (Running Mandrake 9.1 Was using Default drivers) and after I did it no longer worked. It didn't even start up. Can somebody PLEASE HELP ME!? Please not much of that compiling crap unless very easy to understand...

Also after making the switch I would have liked to play DDR (Previously used DWI) to play on Windows XP, but I don't know where to get drivers for my standard Parallel (Converted from PSX) Mat. I have found StepMania for linux which I am downloading now (screw 56k). So can somebody help me?

AND I got a CVS build of WineX 3.1 but I don't know how to set it up? and when I try installing WINE as well (Latest Build I think, 20030709) it doesn't seem to co-operate. BTW I used winesetuptk to get it running. I also had a copy Xandros and I managed to use alien to convert the Debian CrossOver Office Packages included on the CD (both packages, plugins and actual program) and when I installed them it came up with all these errors
Is there anyway to get them to run?

I also wanted to know how to quit a X Windows Server, because when I tried to install the NVIDIA drivers it was annoying to keep going to text and network fail-safe everytime. Is there a way to launch not using CTRL-ALT-F1? Does anybody also know how to install Alien on my Distro.

If this helps I am running a Mandrake 9.1 distro (Standard 3 CD' Set) and I have a GF4Ti4200. I think the programs I'm using are OPEN-GL (Yes, I have the MESA library installed, the built in ones, and PERL if that helps)

LINUX ROX!
BlackAura
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by BlackAura »

Ah, you got your soft-modem working. Good.

First question first, since the others kind of rely on it - did X11 come up with any errors when it was trying to start up, or did it just die? It's possible that either the drivers aren't configured corrently, X11 isn't set up correctly, or the drivers weren't compiled correctly.
zickfun
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu

Post by zickfun »

Ok. I just changed my X86-Config-4 file (forgot to read) and then when I rebooted it said could not find 'NVidia' Module or something like that (changed from nv to nvidia), so it took me two hours to get it back on it's feet (renaming again and again and wasting pointless time going through with the NVIDIA readme)...so now i'm back to those generic drivers with no 3d acceleration. :( could somebody go through a step by step installation with me as I am A COMPLETE n00B TO LINUX!
BlackAura
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by BlackAura »

Hmm... sounds like it didn't build or install the module correctly. I've not had any experience with nVidia's drivers under Linux, so this is mostly guesswork...

Download the driver - it's a shell script merged with an archive, much like a self-installing EXE on Windows.

Next, start an Xterm (or whatever), change to the directory you downloaded the driver to, and type:

Code: Select all

sh NVIDIA-Linux-x86-1.0-4496-pkg2.run
In theory, that should install the driver. I honestly don't know if it works properly. I think you'd also need to have a compiler (GCC, Binutils, various development libraries) installed too - if you didn't install them, then it probably won't work, because it probably has to compile something.
butters
Classic Games Lover
Classic Games Lover
Location: Lubbock, Texas, United States, Sol 3, Milky Way Galaxy

Post by butters »

You have to completely exit out of X to run the nvidia driver. Then you will need to add nvidia to /etc/modules.autoload, and you have already fixed your XF86Config, correct.

When you startx, you will see an nvidia splash screen and then you will know you have succeeded.
zickfun
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu

Post by zickfun »

O.K. I did some weird thing with --kernel-(something)--2.4.21.something and I got it to work. (don't know how) so after doing this I used modprobe and it changed the X86-Config4 file automatically (mysterious)...But the problem is 3d ACCeL only works when I logout of my session and log back in. Can somebody help me fix this problem? Oh, how do you get a dance mat to work (found pyDance) and Stepmania?
butters
Classic Games Lover
Classic Games Lover
Location: Lubbock, Texas, United States, Sol 3, Milky Way Galaxy

Post by butters »

I'm not sure if it works in your distro, but try:
# opengl-update nvidia

For future reference, when you see #, it means as root.