Do CD-Rs or whatever people call "backups" really.

Discussion of topics related to licensed games, software hacking/modification, prototypes, and development kits belongs here. Includes topics related to emulating the Dreamcast console on your computer or on another gaming console. Discussion of Reicast should go in the Official Reicast Forum.
djray
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by djray »

ShadowofBob wrote:Some Homebrew however can harm your DC. Try Mr. Siggler's SmashTV game and listen to your Dreamcast. :wink:
so true!! i thought my DC was going to explode or something! :red)
i haven't tried the rom version yet... but i suppose i will someday
BlackAura
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by BlackAura »

It works quite a lot better. I did a version of SmashDC that ran from a ROM disk, was smaller than the original, and had better quality music. I think az_bont had a copy of it.
az_bont
Administrator
Administrator

Post by az_bont »

BlackAura wrote:It works quite a lot better. I did a version of SmashDC that ran from a ROM disk, was smaller than the original, and had better quality music. I think az_bont had a copy of it.
Unfortunately only a few days after I had downloaded it, I was forced to re-format Windows XP (one of the four times I had to during the 3 weeks I had AOL, coincidentally enough), and I had absolutely no means of backing anything up at all. Safe mode failed me, my floppy drive didn't work, and I didn't even have the option of using the DOS command prompt to create a copy that way, onto multiple floppies. The only copy I burned was wrongly self-booted, and was quickly chucked in the bin. Even after trying data recovery utilities that have worked so well in the past (as it was stored on a different partition to Windows), I was unable to recover anything. This all happened during my end-of-year exams, and like quite a few other things I kept meaning to chase up on, like the VMU saves also for PSD (which, thankfully, I recovered), I simply lost track of everything. I'm sorry - I really wish there was something I could do.

EDIT: Scratch that, I just searched through 3 spindles of 150 CD-Rs and found the disc. I've never been more glad that I refuse to throw anything away, ever. I've uploaded it in case anyobyd wants it, and to make sure it's somewhere safe. If anybody wants a download link, PM me.
Eckostyle
DCEmu Mega Poster
DCEmu Mega Poster

Post by Eckostyle »

I think one of my DC's fell victim to its burned out drive becuse of CD-Rs. Most of the homebrews I had and my backups I think killed it, because over time, I kept noticing that the DC kept ailing in terms of loading games, and one day it just stopped loading anything period. If you plan to use a lot of CD-R's, buy a seprate Dreamcast.
navi
DCEmu Super Poster
DCEmu Super Poster

Post by navi »

ShadowofBob wrote:Some Homebrew however can harm your DC. Try Mr. Siggler's SmashTV game and listen to your Dreamcast. :wink:
:lol: you guys are just mean you should at least give Mr. Siggler a chance to defend himself or his creation 8-)
az_bont
Administrator
Administrator

Post by az_bont »

navi, your sig is way too big and over the sig limits.
Sick of sub-par Dreamcast web browsers that fail to impress? Visit Psilocybin Dreams!
someoneElse
DCEmu Ultra Poster
DCEmu Ultra Poster

Post by someoneElse »

az_bont wrote:navi, your sig is way too big and over the sig limits.
I don't think Navi has been around long enough recently to notice the new Sig rules yet. That's what PMs are for...;)
Can you survive Darwin's Blade? Sign up Today
darkmaster
DCEmu Freak
DCEmu Freak

Post by darkmaster »

well in my country doesnt sell dc games (never ) my dc resets everygame u give it (sometimes in the begining others later) so what other probe u want , the question isnt if the cdrs damage dc faster than gdroms, the question if what i can do to avoid this, at the begining i refrest dc with my a/c and it work like new but i recently adquire more games when i begin to test the new games the dc begin to reset the games again, and refreshing the dc doesnt make a diferences

yeah i know warezed games are illegal but it my country doesnt sell original dc games (altough they sell it ll be expensive ) so the backups are my only way to play dc and i doesnt wan to buy a ps2 or xbox

anyone with a succesfully solution?
fishman
Mental DCEmu
Mental DCEmu

Post by fishman »

Um a "legal" solution would be to import games from places or people that would ship worldwide, but that would get kinda pricey and all... Simple: no.
I dunno keep playing warez I guess? Enjoy the DC! I dunno what else can I say. :wink:
darkmaster
DCEmu Freak
DCEmu Freak

Post by darkmaster »

what about replace gdrom unit with a cdrom unit , i ll never play gdroms anyways
NerdOMFG
DCEmu Newbie
DCEmu Newbie

Post by NerdOMFG »

that's a good question actually...the gd-rom was made too handle cds aswell, so the use of cds on the DC shouldn't damage it in any way to start with hence one of the reasons it supports audio cds and cds themselves. i've used my cd player for years, an old piece of architecture bought when the portable discmans started appearing several years ago, i've used it like nothing else and it never gave me any problems reading cd's or anything, so why should the DC? it's a way more advanced piece of hardware, and the fact that it needs to work more to read a cd isn't reason enough to damage it, or at least it shouldn't be. the psx has an old 2x cd-rom and never gave me any problem either. if the dc has problems with cds then something is very wrong with it... i like to make backups of my cds (original yes, i'm not a cheap bastard :lol:) so i won't damage the originals, never had any problems with them...at least until now. in my view the gd-rom is designed to handle cds so i don't see a reason not to use them.

as a side note to someone who said that the cds made his dreamcast reset, prolly that's not the cds fault, but rather the fact your dc needs some internal cleaning. i do this from time to time.
farrell2k
DCEmu Fan
DCEmu Fan

Post by farrell2k »

CDs aren't going to damage anything. The damn thing has only a limited number of operating hours, until it succumbs to friction, and kicks the bucket. Don't concern yourselves with CDs killing your DC. It's not worth the worry ;-)