DreamSNES .95 Saving!

Anything DreamSNES-related can be asked in this forum, such as general questions about the emulator, how to burn it, etc.
Echidna86
DCEmu Cool Newbie
DCEmu Cool Newbie
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

DreamSNES .95 Saving!

Post by Echidna86 »

:P YES! A new version has finally come! I love the speed improvements, but what's up with the saving? It'll show the VMU thing to let me know it's saving, but when I go back in the game, my game is erased! :evil: Is this happening to anyone else?
Echidna86
DCEmu Cool Newbie
DCEmu Cool Newbie

Post by Echidna86 »

...Is anyone not having a problem saving? If so, I must be doing something wrong...
Echidna86
bkcomic
DCEmu Crazy Poster
DCEmu Crazy Poster

Post by bkcomic »

How odd... I can't believe I'm the only one replying to this topic... but yes, I cannot get saving to work correctly either. Well, saving does work, but actually loading that file is where the thing fails... I've disconnected all my controllers, and left nothing but an official sega VMU in port A slot 1, and no luck. The 2 block file is created, but as soon as I enter that game again, it is ignored.... hmm... I wonder if it has to do with the roms.lst file not matching the header names of the roms? Just a guess...
Echidna86
DCEmu Cool Newbie
DCEmu Cool Newbie

Post by Echidna86 »

It seems as if it overwrites the file everytime you load the ROM. This really sucks because finally when I get good speed for Chrono Trigger, I can't save! :evil:
Echidna86
bkcomic
DCEmu Crazy Poster
DCEmu Crazy Poster

Post by bkcomic »

Ok... I've got one more theory... how many characters are the names of your rom files? When I save Chrono Trigger (file named Chrono.smc) it saves the srm file as Chrono__.srm. So perhaps the filenames need to be 8 characters or more? I can picture DreamSNES looking for Chrono.srm when all it sees is Chrono__.srm, and not making the connection... gonna try it out, I'll put a response here in about 1/2 hour...
bkcomic
DCEmu Crazy Poster
DCEmu Crazy Poster

Post by bkcomic »

Ok, that didn't work... evidently a large majority of the people here are getting this to work, so I've got some questions. Where do you have your roms.lst file, and what folder are your roms in? Also, what games are you saving in, what are their file names, and what is the header name on each? Your answers are greatly appreciated. I currently have a roms folder, the roms.lst file in that particular one, and have tried both long name (joliet) files for the roms as well as short (8.3 format).
qreturns
DCEmu Crazy Poster
DCEmu Crazy Poster

Post by qreturns »

I can't get it load from the vmu either. I thought the problem might be that it was overwriting the save everytime i opened a rom. But than shouldn't turning autosave off remedy the problem, which it didn't? Also, with autosave off the game locked up when I returned from the menu. I would like to know if anyone has successfully loaded from the vmu.
breakthis
DCEmu Newbie
DCEmu Newbie

Post by breakthis »

Hey man this may sound simple, but when my vmu batteries are getting low my saves don't work. They could need replacing . . .
EvilSporkMan
God Of All Things Sporkish

I can't get it to work either...

Post by EvilSporkMan »

Seems to me that all of us who can't load the save have to have SOMETHING in common...let's see...

NO ROMS.LST file for me
dead VMU batts
v 0.9.5 (duh)
game IS saving, not loading
Seifer_Almasy
DCEmu Freak
DCEmu Freak

Post by Seifer_Almasy »

Same problem here......
I know that in NesterDC all rom's names must be in DOS 8.3 format in order to save.

Does anyone have that format in the names? does it load?

I'll try it when I have some time....
Mr._Chips
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by Mr._Chips »

Same problem here......
I know that in NesterDC all rom's names must be in DOS 8.3 format in order to save.
are you serious??? That is a huge bug! c'mon, who would want to name all there games with only 8 letters just to save when then is a max of 32!

Oh, and I'm having the same saving problem, although I DO have a ROMS.LST file in the root and in the roms directory. I have no VMU, only 2 mem cards so the 'dead batteries' idea we can rule out...
ARRGG!
bkcomic
DCEmu Crazy Poster
DCEmu Crazy Poster

Post by bkcomic »

I've tried both 8.3 format and long names, and neither has worked... so we can rule out that problem... jeez... anyone out there get this to work!?! I haven't seen one post saying "Yep saves it's great."
katraqueyous
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by katraqueyous »

AHHHHHHHHHH!!!!! MY CHRONO TRIGGER FLIE IS GONE!!!!!!!!! ALL THE HOURS!!!!!!!!!!! DAMN .95!!!!!!!!!!!!! (starts crying) :cry: :cry: :cry: :evil: :cry:
qreturns
DCEmu Crazy Poster
DCEmu Crazy Poster

Post by qreturns »

It can't be the batteries because a vmu doesn't need batteries to save, only to display images on the screen. I don't think we know for certain that the file is retrievable, so the problem could be saving. Again, has anyone been able to load a file from the vmu?
EvilSporkMan

Sniffle...

Post by EvilSporkMan »

Noooooo...never to relive EarthBound! never to relive SMRPG!!! AAAAAA!!! What's worse is that the devs prob'ly won't bother patching the release anyway, so we're screwed unless it's just us who can't save or somebody else patches it...
billy
DCEmu Fast Newbie
DCEmu Fast Newbie

Post by billy »

I just lost the very final fantasy 3 save that I was anxious to keep... arse
I'm using one of those multi-page unofficial vmus, but it's worked fine for me before... that new fangled compression really ate my balls
fesh
DCEmu Newbie
DCEmu Newbie

Post by fesh »

I'm having the same problem, fortunately i wasted about an hour of my life.
billy
DCEmu Fast Newbie
DCEmu Fast Newbie

Post by billy »

I'm just annoyed that it seems that they didn't test it, they've spent all this time on the new cpu core (which works great from the looks of it) and now they add some dodgy compression to the save files to almost queer the deal, same thing with the mp3 + file header loading...
WeAreVigilant
DCEmu Freak
DCEmu Freak

Post by WeAreVigilant »

dont bitch
first they release a patch to fix saving
so you people whine about speed
they release a version to fix speed and you whine about saving
WTF DO YOU WANT?!?!?!?!?!?!? SPEED OR SAVING?!?!?!?!?
Bruce_Deluxe
DCEmu Newbie
DCEmu Newbie

Post by Bruce_Deluxe »

Well I guess The Saving does work, or at least Shadow BOB Indicated it did in this forum :
http://www.dcemulation.org/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=5290

but he only said it takes up less space so.....[/url]
Rock, Paper, Scissors, The Ultimate Decider