is a cd-rom possible in dreamcast?

Discuss modifications you have done or plan to do to your Dreamcast or any other hardware, or discuss devices you want to build. If your console does not work or is acting up, ask about fixing it in here.
runkthepunk
DCEmu Junior
DCEmu Junior
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

is a cd-rom possible in dreamcast?

Post by runkthepunk »

:D right then could you put a regular cd-rom drive (with same voltage) in a dc instead of the gd rom drive i do NOT want to play dc games (as i know they will not play) but games on regular cd's such as homebrews and feet of fury for example should technically work? or am i wrong

I ask coz i got to thinking about those mini freecom mp3 players that use the mini cd'd as storage - the setup is a mini cd-rom drive so technically this could be put in, most likely a playstation but also maybe a DC just a theory :wink: .
az_bont
Administrator
Administrator

Post by az_bont »

I think people have done this before.
Sick of sub-par Dreamcast web browsers that fail to impress? Visit Psilocybin Dreams!
Warmachine
DCEmu Veteran
DCEmu Veteran

Post by Warmachine »

I think you can but then the dreamcast wont run the dreamcast games.
:headbang: Dreamcast :headbang:
az_bont
Administrator
Administrator

Post by az_bont »

runkthepunk wrote:...i do NOT want to play dc games (as i know they will not play) but games on regular cd's such as homebrews and feet of fury for example...
Sick of sub-par Dreamcast web browsers that fail to impress? Visit Psilocybin Dreams!
bizzle

Post by bizzle »

Warmachine wrote:I think you can but then the dreamcast wont run the dreamcast games.
Actually it will if you wire the CD-Rom to the GD-ROM controller board, and just use the laser assembly from the CD-ROM. Doing that will still allow the GD-ROM controller to control the laser, and it will still read GD-Roms becuase the GD-Rom laser is a normal laser assembly with a custom firmware.
MidnightObsidian tested this theory by putting a portable CD player laser assembly in his Dreamcast and everything played fine still.
Warmachine
DCEmu Veteran
DCEmu Veteran

Post by Warmachine »

oh cool, but wouldnt you only be able to listen to music cds since dreamcast cant play cd games.
Synlor
Official DCEMU Stalker
Official DCEMU Stalker

Post by Synlor »

Um... wah? Homebrew is on a regular cd and it runs. As xylene said gdroms will still run if the control board is still used.
Thanks to Digital Chaos, GoldbergWWE, and ace for the avatar, sig, and badge!
http://devcast.dcemulation.com
KakarotX
DCEmu Crazy Poster
DCEmu Crazy Poster

Post by KakarotX »

does anyone know how to do this? is there a tutorial. i have three dreamcasts that the gd-roms are broken on. if i could fix these with this method it would rock. thanks
Ka ma ha ma Hey how you doin'
Mr. Stabby
DCEmu Junior
DCEmu Junior

Post by Mr. Stabby »

Xylene wrote:
Warmachine wrote:I think you can but then the dreamcast wont run the dreamcast games.
Actually it will if you wire the CD-Rom to the GD-ROM controller board, and just use the laser assembly from the CD-ROM. Doing that will still allow the GD-ROM controller to control the laser, and it will still read GD-Roms becuase the GD-Rom laser is a normal laser assembly with a custom firmware.
MidnightObsidian tested this theory by putting a portable CD player laser assembly in his Dreamcast and everything played fine still.
God dammit. I ruined two PC CD rom drives trying to get that DC laser in there with the board only to learn that I only needed to cram the board in there. :x
Warmachine
DCEmu Veteran
DCEmu Veteran

Post by Warmachine »

Synlor wrote:Um... wah? Homebrew is on a regular cd and it runs. As xylene said gdroms will still run if the control board is still used.
Well in that case wouldnt "Backups" work also since they are in regular cds? I wish you would be able to watch movies also :P
404NotFound
DCEmu Ex-Mod
DCEmu Ex-Mod

Post by 404NotFound »

Xylene wrote:

So... in theroy a PC CD Rom drive could read GD roms?
bizzle

Post by bizzle »

404NotFound wrote:
Xylene wrote:

So... in theroy a PC CD Rom drive could read GD roms?
Not really.. becuase you still need the GD-Rom controller board with its firmware to be able to read them. I guess theoretically, if you flashed a PC CD-ROM with a GD-ROM like firmware.. Its ofcourse much more complicated, but its a general idea.