Quiet the GD-ROM Drive

Discussion of topics related to licensed games, software hacking/modification, prototypes, and development kits belongs here. Includes topics related to emulating the Dreamcast console on your computer or on another gaming console. Discussion of Reicast should go in the Official Reicast Forum.
Chaniyth
DCEmu Super Poster
DCEmu Super Poster
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Quiet the GD-ROM Drive

Post by Chaniyth »

I used wD-40, I "painted" it on with a small brush on the GD drives gears, and metal rods, this quieted it down more than usual, and actually sped up access/read time.

However is it safe to use that? Would lube used for gears have made it even quieter? I'm not sure if it's the gears that were grinding or the metalic bar with grooves in it.

What's the best and safe kind of lube to use on the GD drive?

Thanks in advance.
All the world will be your enemy, Prince with a Thousand Enemies, and when they catch you, they will kill you... but first they must catch you.
someoneElse
DCEmu Ultra Poster
DCEmu Ultra Poster

Re: Quiet the GD-ROM Drive

Post by someoneElse »

The only bad thing about WD40 is that it will attract dust, and could eventually have a negative impact on the performance of the gears and rods.
If it isn't in a very dusty area, it shouldn't really build up to those levels anytime soon.

Petroleum jelly and other oil based lubricants are a big no-no, as they will eat away at the plastic components.

Something like White Lightning or similar lubricants should do well.

I was naughty, I just sprayed some WD40 into a paper cup and waited for the foam/bubbles to settle out of it, and brushed the foamless liquid on. Didn't seem to make it any quieter, but it did increase performance and reduced loading times a bit.

I also did the same to the fan, which actually seemed to make it LOUDER at first, since it allowed the fan to spin up to a higher speed than before. Opening the system up and cleaning the fan blades with a damp Cotton swab, etc. every once in awhile is a good thing as well.
Can you survive Darwin's Blade? Sign up Today
Chaniyth
DCEmu Super Poster
DCEmu Super Poster

Post by Chaniyth »

Yeah I think the "grind" is from the small metallic rod with the grooves in it. Not too sure though.

However yeah the WD-40 does increase performance and reduces load time, apparently it makes the gears a bit looser, thus reducing load time. :mrgreen:
All the world will be your enemy, Prince with a Thousand Enemies, and when they catch you, they will kill you... but first they must catch you.
farrell2k
DCEmu Fan
DCEmu Fan

Post by farrell2k »

it's going to have a negative effect, in the end. Dirt is gonna build up when you put any sort of lubricant on them, especially wd40, which turns into this nasty white junk after a while. You're better off just leaving it alone.
fishman
Mental DCEmu
Mental DCEmu

Post by fishman »

I use a very light coat of lubricating oil. As long as you don't apply it too heavily it shouldn't collect too much dust. (or at least mine didn't).
nymus
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by nymus »

I like the "noise" GDROM makes.

It's like a "revving" engine. VRROOOOOOOOOOOOOOOMMMM!!!!! :twisted:
behold the mind
inspired by Dreamcast
Calavera
DCEmu Classic User
DCEmu Classic User

Post by Calavera »

nymus wrote:I like the "noise" GDROM makes.

It's like you're really there when playing F355 Challenge. 8-)
bizzle

Post by bizzle »

Calavera wrote:
nymus wrote:I like the "noise" GDROM makes.

It's like you're really there when playing F355 Challenge. 8-)
LOL.. thats a good one. Anyway, I have 2 different model GD-roms, both aren't to loud.
T1z3R
Mental DCEmu
Mental DCEmu

Post by T1z3R »

shouldn't this be in Hardware?

anyways....WD40, as others have said, is not recommended.
instead you should be lubricating the mechanical parts of the GD-Rom using silicon based grease which is designed to be resistive to heat, non stick and for use on both metal and plastics.
The box. You opened it. We came.
Chaniyth
DCEmu Super Poster
DCEmu Super Poster

Post by Chaniyth »

Ok, if I got silicon based grease, is there a safe way to remove the WD-40?
MystiK
DCEmu Nutter
DCEmu Nutter

Post by MystiK »

are u all insane?
WD-40 on your dreamcast??
French Connection United Kingdom should be renamed to French Union Connection Klothing
DeGamer
DCEmu Respected
DCEmu Respected

Post by DeGamer »

This topic is old (several months), why does it say it was posted 2 days ago?
T1z3R
Mental DCEmu
Mental DCEmu

Post by T1z3R »

kubyx wrote:Ok, if I got silicon based grease, is there a safe way to remove the WD-40?
not really.

best way to get rid of it would be to strip all the parts and clean them with alcohol. but thats not really recommended.
The box. You opened it. We came.
someoneElse
DCEmu Ultra Poster
DCEmu Ultra Poster

Post by someoneElse »

DeGamer wrote:This topic is old (several months), why does it say it was posted 2 days ago?
I'm guessing....because it WAS posted a few days ago? *shrugs*
Nicklepete
DCEmu Newbie
DCEmu Newbie

Post by Nicklepete »

All the WD-40 is going to do is strip out the lube that is currently in there... I know that some people think that it is a good lub, but that is not what it is intended for. If you want to reck rollerblades, use WD-40...
DeGamer
DCEmu Respected
DCEmu Respected

Post by DeGamer »

someoneElse wrote:
DeGamer wrote:This topic is old (several months), why does it say it was posted 2 days ago?
kubyx (the original author of this topic) posted this months ago with the same exact wording. Even the responses are the same. The only ones that were actually posted a few days ago are from July 23 (where Mystik posted) and on.

I guess it's another forum bug. :? So if I revive an old topic the date will change :?:
someoneElse
DCEmu Ultra Poster
DCEmu Ultra Poster

Post by someoneElse »

DeGamer wrote:
someoneElse wrote:
kubyx (the original author of this topic) posted this months ago with the same exact wording. Even the responses are the same. The only ones that were actually posted a few days ago are from July 23 (where Mystik posted) and on.

I guess it's another forum bug. :? So if I revive an old topic the date will change :?:
Hmm.....that's odd, because in my first response to the thread, there were no other responses to the original post...Hmm.... very strange indeed....

Something to do with the date bug 'fix'?
jjoepr
Mental DCEmu
Mental DCEmu

Post by jjoepr »

The GD-Rom is Loud When you play CD-Rs. It's not as loud with a normal GD-Rom. :flush: