Half-Life PC is now free, so......

This forum is for discussion pertaining to homebrew and indie software for the Dreamcast, such as homebrew games, emulators/interpreters, and other homebrew software/applications. Porting requests and developmental ideas are not to be made here; you can make those here. If you need any help burning discs for homebrew software, this is the place to ask as well.
JoeyStyles66
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Half-Life PC is now free, so......

Post by JoeyStyles66 »

A program called Steam recently went public, and with it you can download Half-Life for PC (full version) for free: http://www.steampowered.com/

so now that half-life is free, is it ok to get the DC version? seeing as how it wasn't released and valve isnt going to make or lose money off of it, then i dont see what the problem is :|
Lartrak
DCEmu Respected
DCEmu Respected

Post by Lartrak »

Steam is going to become a pay service eventually.
Nico0020
DCEmu User with No Life
DCEmu User with No Life

Post by Nico0020 »

probably not. its still good to play it safe. but also Half life and the dreamcast halflife are two different "programs" to say.
*The Cadillac of signatures*
az_bont
Administrator
Administrator

Post by az_bont »

Half-Life may be distributed for free, but not the Blue Shift add-on pack. And just because something is distributed for free on one platform, that doesn't make it okay to release it for free on another.
Sick of sub-par Dreamcast web browsers that fail to impress? Visit Psilocybin Dreams!
zero
DCEmu Super Fan
DCEmu Super Fan

Post by zero »

Half-Life may be distributed for free, but not the Blue Shift add-on pack. And just because something is distributed for free on one platform, that doesn't make it okay to release it for free on another.
yep thats true, thats like saying now that half life on pc is free, you can go get a warezed copy of it on ps2 cos its free now on pc.
toastman
Iron Fist of Justice
Iron Fist of Justice

Post by toastman »

I'm going to try this out.
If it's all good, I will finally be able to play NS. :D

Update: Eh, it'll let you play the single-player game and multiplayer, but you don't technically 'get Half-Life for free' so no modding it. :(
No signature.
bizzle

Post by bizzle »

toastman
Iron Fist of Justice
Iron Fist of Justice

Post by toastman »

Xylene wrote:Just buy Half Life.. http://www.ebgames.com/ebx/product/167412.asp
Hey, if they were passing around a legitimate free retail copy of Half-Life, then why should I buy it?
No signature.
JoeyStyles66
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by JoeyStyles66 »

the half-life that you can download is only half-life and you can't play any mods on it. on the plus side, it does come with counter-strike 1.6 BETA :mrgreen:
ibor132
DCEmu Junior
DCEmu Junior

Post by ibor132 »

Yeah, definatly not legal, period. Who's to say Valve even owns the copyright on the DC code?
and now your soul is bruised...and now your soul is bruised...my friend...and now your soul is bruised...and your color is violet
BlackxKnight
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by BlackxKnight »

What I dont get it why Valve or Sierra or whoever developed Half-Life DC didnt release it, I meen they already spent the money to have it developed so theyre making the same amount of money off it now ans if they were to make it free for download...Nothing. If they were selling it I could definitly see why they wouldnt want people coping it but theyre not so i dont see the reason behind them keeping it to themselves
BxKreations Now much more than just Mugen.
ssj4goku128
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by ssj4goku128 »

Well, technically, the blue shift originated from Dreamcast, so since they are selling blue shift, then no giveaway for the DC version(since that's what it really in essence is all about)
"So I gotta be carefull, can't let tha evil of tha money trap me
so when ya see me #@#$%
ya better holla at me "

Tupac Shakur[1971-1996]
Makaveli[1996-????]
Alexvrb
DCEmu Ultra Poster
DCEmu Ultra Poster

Post by Alexvrb »

toastman wrote:I'm going to try this out.
If it's all good, I will finally be able to play NS. :D

Update: Eh, it'll let you play the single-player game and multiplayer, but you don't technically 'get Half-Life for free' so no modding it. :(
Totally just buy it. NS is worth it, especially since Natural Selection 2.0 is due out around 2 weeks from now. NS 1.04 is pretty fun, but 2 looks incredible.
kurupter
DCEmu Newbie
DCEmu Newbie

Post by kurupter »

hey where can u download half life on the site u siad its free but i cant find it.
Herby
DCEmu Freak
DCEmu Freak

Post by Herby »

You download the steam software, it boots up a start menu which gives you the choice of which game to play. It downloads the game and levels on demand. I'd assume that it may be quite a wait for dial up users, but went great on my cable connection.
JoeyStyles66
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by JoeyStyles66 »

Yeah it used to be broadband only but it's open to 56k users now
soulscreme
DCEmu Newbie
DCEmu Newbie

Post by soulscreme »

Bottom line is Valve won't just release the DC version of half life because DC is dead, essentially, from what I understand, none of the publisher will publish for DC, Sega has made that clear, that's why games like FoF have to go through shitty lik-sang.com
Please Sega, the VMU is so verstile, make an adaptor, let is work on other consoles.
az_bont
Administrator
Administrator

Post by az_bont »

Lik-Sang aren't poop. And the final version of Half-Life was geared up for a release, but after the beta version was leaked, the guys working to bring out the final, better version decided it wouldn't be profitable. And people say warez is harmless. There's still chance for Propella Arena, though, but that game doesn't appeal to me as much.
Sick of sub-par Dreamcast web browsers that fail to impress? Visit Psilocybin Dreams!
The Kron
DCEmu Respected
DCEmu Respected

Post by The Kron »

az_bont wrote:Lik-Sang aren't poop. And the final version of Half-Life was geared up for a release, but after the beta version was leaked, the guys working to bring out the final, better version decided it wouldn't be profitable.
Your about 2 years out of sync in terms of when the beta version was released az.

The DC version was never released because Sony paid Sierra more for a PS2 port and consequent exclusivity.
az_bont
Administrator
Administrator

Post by az_bont »

The Kron wrote:
az_bont wrote:Lik-Sang aren't poop. And the final version of Half-Life was geared up for a release, but after the beta version was leaked, the guys working to bring out the final, better version decided it wouldn't be profitable.
Your about 2 years out of sync in terms of when the beta version was released az.

The DC version was never released because Sony paid Sierra more for a PS2 port and consequent exclusivity.
I know why the DC version wasn't released, but didn't a small company obtain a finished version and were working to bring it to the Dreamcast after it was dropped by it's developers/publishers, but after the release of the beta, decided not to. The same small company who want to officially release, as in sell, Propella Arena.