Kobe Bryant charged for sexual assault!

Talk about anything and everything not related to this site or the Dreamcast, such as news stories, political discussion, or anything else. If there's not a forum for it, it belongs in here. Also, be warned that personal insults, threats, and spamming will not be tolerated.
Veggita2099
Janitor 2nd Class
Janitor 2nd Class
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by Veggita2099 »

Well this is a arguement that will go on forever. But I have no respect for ANY athelete. Far as I am concerned they are just overpaid jocks, and I can assure everyone the sports industry makes no money from me whatsoever. You won't find me sitting in a ballpark, you won't see me wearing anything with a team logo on it, and you won't see me worshipping some guy cause he can play football. I don't consider a person a hero for scoreing X touchdowns in 1 game, or hitting X homeruns in a game.

I imagine the average person could tell you who scored the most touchdowns in a year, but nobody knows the name of the people who have cured deadly diseases etc. People go WAY overboard with sports and its just sickening.
Wii number: 1227 6854 1080 3665
Warmachine
DCEmu Veteran
DCEmu Veteran

Post by Warmachine »

Well we need athelets for the world to function right. They give some people jobs.
:headbang: Dreamcast :headbang:
farrell2k
DCEmu Fan
DCEmu Fan

Post by farrell2k »

Lord_Ball wrote:
or charge outrageous prices
Don't they already do that? :o
Yes, thank you U.S. Gov't! Thank you for privatized medicine, for ripping us all off on something that YOU could do for 1/3 the price!
TreyDay
DCEmu Mega Poster
DCEmu Mega Poster

Post by TreyDay »

Lord_Ball wrote:
or charge outrageous prices
Don't they already do that? :o
Yeah, but imagine if they wanted to get paid like athletes get paid... it would be even more.
You don't work, you don't eat.
You don't grind, you shine.
-Mike Jones

281-330-8004, when someone picks up, ask for Mike Jones!

"It's [TreyDay] baby, I'm stackin my cheddar/plus I'm packin mo' heat than a Bill Cosby sweater"
ninja
DCEmu's own ninja
DCEmu's own ninja

Post by ninja »

Veggita2099 wrote:Well this is a arguement that will go on forever. But I have no respect for ANY athelete. Far as I am concerned they are just overpaid jocks, and I can assure everyone the sports industry makes no money from me whatsoever. You won't find me sitting in a ballpark, you won't see me wearing anything with a team logo on it, and you won't see me worshipping some guy cause he can play football. I don't consider a person a hero for scoreing X touchdowns in 1 game, or hitting X homeruns in a game.

I imagine the average person could tell you who scored the most touchdowns in a year, but nobody knows the name of the people who have cured deadly diseases etc. People go WAY overboard with sports and its just sickening.
well put, i 100% agree 8-)
Delete my posting account.

Thanks.
CoasterKing
Gone Postal...
Gone Postal...

Post by CoasterKing »

It's capitalism folks :D

Like most things in America or Europe it's all about supply and demand. If these athletes weren't worth all that money then people wouldn't go to games, buy pay-per-view or buy all the merchandise.

I mean they are the ones that generate all that profit so why the hell shouldn't they get thier cut?
djray
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu

Post by djray »

with that point coasterking...

i like paul kariya's new deal... he took a $10 million dollar paycut to play for a stanley cup contender.

so is paul kariya really worth $1.5 million in today's market? no, in fact it's below the league average. but it's not like it's a multi-year deal @ $1.5 million, it's only for one year. fedorov is seeking $10 million and honestly he's not as good a player as kariya... but now i'm just blabbin'

also...
ninja wrote:
Veggita2099 wrote:Well this is a arguement that will go on forever. But I have no respect for ANY athelete. Far as I am concerned they are just overpaid jocks, and I can assure everyone the sports industry makes no money from me whatsoever. You won't find me sitting in a ballpark, you won't see me wearing anything with a team logo on it, and you won't see me worshipping some guy cause he can play football. I don't consider a person a hero for scoreing X touchdowns in 1 game, or hitting X homeruns in a game.

well put, i 100% agree 8-)
that's also true... more people in the world know who michael jordan is compared to probably the most important person in the world, the secretary-general of the United Nations and that is Kofi Annan. but whose fault is that?

answer: the media

the media is more infactuated with entertainment than current affairs and that's the reality. as long as that is the case, things like this will never change.
TreyDay
DCEmu Mega Poster
DCEmu Mega Poster

Post by TreyDay »

djray wrote:with that point coasterking...

i like paul kariya's new deal... he took a $10 million dollar paycut to play for a stanley cup contender.

so is paul kariya really worth $1.5 million in today's market? no, in fact it's below the league average. but it's not like it's a multi-year deal @ $1.5 million, it's only for one year. fedorov is seeking $10 million and honestly he's not as good a player as kariya... but now i'm just blabbin'
Gary Payton recently took a 13 million dollar pay cut to play for the Lakers, and Karl Malone is expected to take a 18 million dollar pay cuy to play for the Lakers. Both of them are also more value to basketball clubs than that, but they want to win. Plus, the Lakers would have four possible Hall of Famers on one team. People would pay to watch them dominate teams, unless there's too many egos on the club and everyone feels they don't get enough shots.
-Mike Jones

"It's [TreyDay] baby, I'm stackin my cheddar/plus I'm packin mo' heat than a Bill Cosby sweater"
liltimmyw
Mother Trucker
Mother Trucker

Post by liltimmyw »

Warmachine wrote:Well we need athelets for the world to function right. They give some people jobs.
How do they give people jobs might I ask?
djray
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu

Post by djray »

wow treyday!! i did not know about those (pending) laker deals!! holy cow!! lakers are already stacked! w/ payton and malone, it's like a mini all-star team! :wink:
djray
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu

Post by djray »

liltimmyw wrote:
Warmachine wrote:Well we need athelets for the world to function right. They give some people jobs.
well without athletes... people that work in the arenas/stadiums will not have jobs for one... another example, execs/GMs/marketing departments of the teams would be all out of jobs also! so if you think about it, they do contribute!
liltimmyw
Mother Trucker
Mother Trucker

Post by liltimmyw »

djray wrote:
liltimmyw wrote:
well without athletes... people that work in the arenas/stadiums will not have jobs for one... another example, execs/GMs/marketing departments of the teams would be all out of jobs also! so if you think about it, they do contribute!
In a sense, you are right. But other things happen at arenas other than sporting events.
djray
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu

Post by djray »

that's true... but i'm just plainly answering the question on how athletes provide jobs. of course i know other things happen in arenas like concerts, but i'm talking about the execs/GMs/marketing and various departments there are needed in running a sports franchise, they're not exclusively made up of the athletes. moreover, there's a grassroots initiative that most, if not all, sports teams implement in their respective communities.

anyways, there i'm done! :mrgreen:
Last edited by djray on Wed Jul 09, 2003 4:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CoasterKing
Gone Postal...
Gone Postal...

Post by CoasterKing »

I think a few of you are totally underestimating the importance of sport or any other kind of entertainment in general eg sport played a very big part in helping Americans recover from the 9/11 tragedy. It gave a lot of people around the world a reason to be happy at that time. It is also often a way for people in developing countries (eg South America, African Nations) to get away from these places and have a fantastic quality of life.

People seem to assume that because Athletes don't get where they are through mental ability that they are somehow underserving of respect. Why is that? Jealousy? I seriously don't understand. The sporting "elite" as it were don't get all this handed to them on a silver platter. I mean if it's all sooooo easy then why aren't we all doing it? They work *extremely* hard, 7 days a week, up to 12 hours a day, to get where they are and to stay there. The average lifespan of an athletes career is also about 15-20 years at the top so they have to maximise thier earning potential during that time. Add to that the danger of the possibility of career threatening injuries everytime you step on the field/court/pitch/ring etc and you can possibly see my point.
djray
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu

Post by djray »

well said, coasterking, i couldn't agree more.
PsychoMistress
DCEmu Freak
DCEmu Freak

Post by PsychoMistress »

Oh, I am so glad that Kobe finally screwed up. Now, if the rest of his team and their coach would follow in his footsteps that would just make my day.

As for the whole entertainment thing. There is no doubt that entertainment and the people who provide it are important. But, are they more important than our teachers? Or, our medical staff, law enforcement or fire fighters? Of course not.

Now, tell me. When you are damn near 90 years old and you have a home nurse wiping your ass and bathing you...Would you still agree that entertainers should be paid more than said folks above?

Those people work very hard and dedicate their lives to their profession while improving the quality of life for us. They should be paid more and entertainers should be paid less. Or, it should be mandatory that at least 40% of an entertainers gross income should go somewhere else a lot more important than their bank accounts.

I am just not very comfortable with drug addict, ebonic speaking people making THAT much money. Not that all of them are that way but a very big portion of them are.

As far as the athletes working and training hard...Yes, some of them do. But, all that hard work is cut in half by steroids (sp).

So, these "role models" are paid millions of dollars to pop pills, mistreat females, break the law and get away with it, and waste away their lives being wonderfully rich withouth contributing anything that would benefit us as human beings in the future? OH yeah, and they play sports.

It is what it is. My idea of economics of the future is very very far away anyway.

Taking onanism to a new level by creating twelve genetically altered sex slaves! Twelve!! Now, THAT'S stamina!
dude322mg
DCEmu Veteran
DCEmu Veteran

Post by dude322mg »

Veggita2099 wrote:No the average joe don't deserve that much money, but neither do they. Doctors devote 9 and 10 years of there life to school to learn to be a doctor. They also spend well over 100,000 bucks to go to school. But oh waiy Randy Moss can play football, lets give him a free trip through school and pay him 10 million bucks to play football. Yea that punk who can play football is WAY more important then that doctor who has devoted his/her life to saveing peoples lives and improveing there quality of life.

That is just 1 example. Yes Doctors make good money, but atheletes make more then they do, and they didn't have to pay for college. And if a Doctor had killed OJ's EX wife he/she would be in jail.
well said.
TreyDay
DCEmu Mega Poster
DCEmu Mega Poster

Post by TreyDay »

djray wrote:wow treyday!! i did not know about those (pending) laker deals!! holy cow!! lakers are already stacked! w/ payton and malone, it's like a mini all-star team! :wink:
They can't sign anyone until July 16, but they can talk to the players since July 1. Payton verbally commited to the mid-level exception, so he's expected to sign on July 16, and Malone hinted that if they got Payton, then he would sign for the veterans minimum, which is like $1.5 million.
-Mike Jones

atf487
DCEmu's Ranter
DCEmu's Ranter

Post by atf487 »

First Sports, then Music, then Movies. Then we'll have no entertainment.
Tetris: 556-381-350-981
MKDS: 163-282-974-709
Synlor
Official DCEMU Stalker
Official DCEMU Stalker

Post by Synlor »

I'm an athlete, I wrestle, so I get no respect? Thats just like being a racist, not all athletes are terrible people, its the few that are that give all of us bad reps. I don't get paid to wrestle, yet I have to work my ass off once a week. I gurantee that 90% of you couldn't last through a whole wrestling match. So just because I want to participate in a sport (thus causing me to be an athlete) that helps me build mental toughness, I don't deserve respect? Veggita, the little respect I had for you has been crushed, what if your dad participated in football during high school, do you not give him respect? Think before you use the word all.
Thanks to Digital Chaos, GoldbergWWE, and ace for the avatar, sig, and badge!
http://devcast.dcemulation.com